IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 10:23 AM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by getafewliv
This is some good info that I was looking for. I am guessing the BG machine is not pressurized like some of the flush machines you see at independent shops? I have heard that they tend to do more bad then good and damage seals.

Is there any sort of information on how long the Toyota WC transmission fluid really lasts in real life applications? And when it is the best idea to be changed?
BG makes a non pressurized system that uses the transmission own pump to circulate fluid, and they have a pressurized version as well. The dealership used the one that is non pressurized.

I would visit bob is the oil guy forums to find out more information regarding World Standard atf. Most oil analysis reports say it needs to be changed by 100K. The fluid was designed to maintain a specific viscosity over its lifetime, but I don't think 200K on factory fluid is wise.
Old 06-20-14, 10:47 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by synrgy350
BG makes a non pressurized system that uses the transmission own pump to circulate fluid, and they have a pressurized version as well. The dealership used the one that is non pressurized.

I would visit bob is the oil guy forums to find out more information regarding World Standard atf. Most oil analysis reports say it needs to be changed by 100K. The fluid was designed to maintain a specific viscosity over its lifetime, but I don't think 200K on factory fluid is wise.
Awesome, thanks for the solid info. This clears up a lot of confusion that I have read on the forums.

I will head over to Bob is the oil guy forum and do some more research when I have time. Good to know it should be good to 100k miles, my dealer was trying to get me to swap it at 60,000 miles. I am all for preventive maintenance, but I also don't like pissing money down the drain with overkill maintenance.
Old 06-20-14, 12:44 PM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, going to see if our shop has a non pressurized system.. I want to change that soon..
Old 06-20-14, 12:51 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please report back of your finding and research too guys so it benefits the community.
Old 06-20-14, 04:11 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Default had mine changed

Took my 06 IS350 in for the cam gear recall. They did their general inspection and told me the tranny fluid was dark and should be changed. I said I thought it was a lifetime fluid and the SA basically said if it's dark it should be changed..Which seemed like sound logic to me. I asked how they checked it and changed it…The check part had him stumped (at least for a bit). The change is done, he said not by using a pump process, but my disconnecting the lines at the cooler and running the car, and running the car until the fluid runs clean. I assume there was an in and out side to the cooler.

When I picked up the car he told me there is a check plug they can remove to check the level/fluid condition. I think it was about $200…a bit pricy, but it's a Lexus dealer,,nothing is not expensive!

So far so good..
Old 06-21-14, 10:31 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

I've got to check with my local dealership to see about them having the pressurized or non-pressurized BG system. I would assume that the non-pressurized is the best/safest way to get the flush/fill done. Good info here!
Old 01-20-23, 10:23 AM
thannguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2007 Lexus LS460 and never had a transmission fluid change. The car now has 182k miles and still running smooth with no issue ... knock on wood. This shows that the concept of "life time fluid" for Lexus is true ... to me, this car life should easily last 300k miles and if that is the case, transmission should be ok without fluid change. I think we should not think of life-time as eternity ... no such car !
Old 01-21-23, 09:20 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,271 Likes on 1,009 Posts

There are many Lexus cars here at this forum of diffrent models. There are also some who have had Trans problems in as little as just over 100k who never changed the Fluid. Does Lexus give you a replacemnt Trans when it goes bad for free because it's claimed lifetime fluid? lol!

Also you now own a 2007 Lexus but joined in 2013? If you check the 2007 Vin #, did you buy it brand new, and the only owner, to know?
Old 01-21-23, 12:43 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
There are many Lexus cars here at this forum of diffrent models. There are also some who have had Trans problems in as little as just over 100k who never changed the Fluid. Does Lexus give you a replacemnt Trans when it goes bad for free because it's claimed lifetime fluid? lol!

Also you now own a 2007 Lexus but joined in 2013? If you check the 2007 Vin #, did you buy it brand new, and the only owner, to know?

To your point, even if the the fluid is 100% okay at 125,000 miles, think about this, a river full of sand cuts through the bedrock of earth. Small debris in constant circulation does the same thing to contact surfaces, bushings, and bearings.

That alone is reason enough to change the fluid and filter!
The following users liked this post:
Russjz (05-02-24)
Old 01-22-23, 05:34 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Had the exchange performed at Toyota dealership for $500 (including tax, waste fee), and took approximately 4 hrs. To be transparent, unsure exactly when service began on vehicle after vehicle was driven into service bay. Unable to see vehicle while service was being performed, but technician did state fluid was brownish rather than red, but still acceptable (85,000 miles). Also stated service for trans fluid should be performed at 60,000 mile intervals.
The trans fluid exchange was performed by BG trans extractor unit, pre-flushed with ATF WS transmission fluid. The transmission fluid change service included of the following; (2nd Gen IS350 RWD with AISIN A760E 6-speed transmission, 7.5 Qts. Total)

- Remove transmission pan and replace existing trans filter / filter o ring / pan gasket

I supplied the dealership with the following parts:
00289-ATFWS - trans fluid (6 qts.)
35330-50020 - transmission filter / strainer
35168-60010 - transmission filter gasket
90301-31014 - Transmission filter o ring
35178-30010 - Drain Plug and Overflow Plug / Gasket (Qty: 2)
90301-15004 - Fill Plug / Gasket / O-Ring

Anyone thinking of having the service performed by a TOYOTA dealership, I suggest providing the needed parts with along with a note stating part numbers & descriptions listed along with transmission model / fluid capacity, to make the process easier for the technician preforming the service.(200XX IS 2/350 A or RWD with AISIN A760E 6-speed transmission, 7.5 Qts. Total)

Additional transmission fluid service discussion located here;

#2IS Transmission Fluid Change DIY A760E RWD
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a760e-rwd.html

IS350 Trans Fluid Exchange
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-exchange.html

Last edited by ELexis; 05-18-23 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-17-23, 06:29 PM
drive2moon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year - Model:
  • 2007 ES 350
Miles/KMs (at time of change or current mileage if never done):
  • 227k miles
  • never changed transmission fluid
  • never had any transmission issues
  • 2nd owner since 63k miles - no record of transmission service by earlier owner

Traded-in recently for a 2016 IS200t with 90k miles
  • no record of any service other than oil changes every 10k miles,
  • engine & transmission both very smooth
  • replaced engine oil, brake fluid, rear differential fluid, spark plugs, and did fuel induction service
  • did not touch transmission
  • hoping to drive it to the ground

Last edited by drive2moon; 05-17-23 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-06-24, 05:46 PM
bill5
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried reading through as much of this as I could I have an 04 ES330, about 155k. I guess there will never be a definitive yes or no answer to the "should I change it" question, but not sure I get why one would not?
Old 04-06-24, 08:19 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by bill5
I tried reading through as much of this as I could I have an 04 ES330, about 155k. I guess there will never be a definitive yes or no answer to the "should I change it" question, but not sure I get why one would not?
The answer is YES. Change the transmission fluid.

Last edited by primavera; 04-07-24 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 06:47 PM
chexus
Rookie

@primavera How often would you recommend doing a drain and fill for a 2011 vehicle? The car got its first drain and fill 3 years ago. I was thinking of doing a drain and fill every 3 years, I do mostly city driving. Is every 3 years too excessive?
Old 04-09-24, 03:58 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

At what mileage did the vehicle receive the first drain n fill ?

If bringing to the dealership to perform the fluid exchange, confirm if they us the BBG non pressurized system that uses the transmission own pump to circulate fluid, rather than a pressurized machine per Reply # 16 above by synrgy350

Additional information regarding transmission fluid change located in the following as well;

2IS Transmission Fluid Change DIY A760E RWD
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a760e-rwd.html

IS350 Trans Fluid Exchange
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-exchange.html

Your experience with transmission fluid changes
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-changes.html

Yamehoo Reply # 7: A piece of advice, if fluid was never changed, take it easy on the first drain and fill, meaning do not need to change the filter now. After driving around 1k miles, if there is no issues or problems, do another drain and fill and drive for another 1k. If its all good, you can drop the pan, replace the filter and do the drain and fill for the 3rd time. After that, do drain and fill every 15k-20k and your transmission should last a long time.
timmy0tool Reply # 10: what i think yamehoo is trying to say is that introducing new fluids in one big wave (e.g. flush) can shock the system, but what 2013FSport clarified is that it's an older mindset and is not applicable for these transmissions.
over in the LS400 forum (older transmissions up to 2000), it is common to do the method outlined by yamehoo - to not do a full flush, but simply a slow progression of drain and fills; different than the IS being that it's newer.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change