Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 11:21 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change

Hey guys,

since there's is some debate whether or not to get the transmission fluid changed, I am interested in your guys experience.

Year - Model:
Miles/KMs (at time of change or current mileage if never done):
Type of fluid change (ie the special dealer way that gets all the fluid changed out, or drain and fill which only gets a couple litres at a time):
Dealer or independent shop:
Cost of service:
Comments (how did the fluid look coming out? Did you notice any change in shifting? Did you have it done as regular maintenance or because of an issue? If you had the standard drain and fill, how many times did they repeat the process?):
Old 06-19-14, 11:31 AM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007 IS350
140,000 miles at time of change/150K current miles
Lexus Dealer
around $280
I had the fluid flushed with 12 quarts via the BG flush machine.I requested them to take a sample of the fluid coming out. It was dark red, but not burnt smelling or anything. Pretty good for a factory fill. No problems, just wanted to change it out since I drive my cars to 200K. (My ES300 has 250K!)I also did the differential fluid at the same time.
Old 06-19-14, 12:30 PM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanna get myn changed. No Lexus dealer in my town.. Work at a Acura/Honda store, and iv been told that they never need to be changed.. The only problem is, is the tranny shifts hard every now and again.. So im thinkin its time to get some new fluid in it..

2006 IS 250 AWD just turned over 100k miles.
Old 06-19-14, 01:01 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Taint3d
Wanna get myn changed. No Lexus dealer in my town.. Work at a Acura/Honda store, and iv been told that they never need to be changed.. The only problem is, is the tranny shifts hard every now and again.. So im thinkin its time to get some new fluid in it..

2006 IS 250 AWD just turned over 100k miles.
When exactly does yours shift hard? The only time I really notice it is when I am in power mode and givin'er on the highway. When I start to let off and it shifts into 6th, it isn't the smoothest. But that could very well be normal.

I am at 112,000kms (70,000 miles) and don't believe it has ever been done, but the dealer is recommending it. Not sure if I should pay the $300 for the peace of mind or wait it out and spend the money on something nicer like a lip kit, ISF steering ECU or rear sway bar.

Does the dealer flushing machine pressurize the transmission like a lot of the standard junk transmission flush machines independent shops use? I have heard nothing but bad things about those. A mechanic I was talking to suggested I just do the drain and fill multiple times, but when it is all said and done, it will cost pretty much the same.
Old 06-19-14, 01:03 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IDK if the Canadian models are different but all the N/A model IS250/350's have sealed transmissions if I recall. Some dealerships CAN do it but the manual recommends that should never be changed. You wont get a lot of feedback about transmissions fluid changes on the 2IS
Old 06-19-14, 01:19 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Canadian IS model might be different.

US IS model, the transmission is sealed. It is NOT really transmission fluid change so to speak. The max they can change is may be 20%-40% of all the transmission fluid. They basically pump the old out slowly and fill back the new fluid in. Also, in manual, Lexus never recommend it either.

I drive my IS350 hard on daily basic and on autocross. It has 87,000 miles or so and still run like a champ without transmission fluid change.

I do replace differential oil and I see that it makes acceleration and shifting so much smoother.
Old 06-19-14, 02:44 PM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Sometimes it will shift hard from 1st to 2nd in normal non power mode, it also likes to hold a gear every now and again. Will hold 2nd gear up to 3500 rpm and not shift it down to 3rd after i let off the gas, it will just stay there for 3 secs then drop the gear to 3rd. Now this is just normal every day driving, basically driving it nice not getting on it... Im thinkin it could be the computer is trying to ajust to the way i drive it when i drive it hard, and doesnt know the difference when im driving it nice.. Might try and flash the ecu. Or what do you guys think?
Old 06-19-14, 02:57 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I experience hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when it is going only slight downhill slope . It is zroooommm 1st to 2nd with the RPM needle jump up when i lightly press the pedal. This happens a lot in traffic bumper to bumper going through some downhill slope. My only remedy is turn on the "Snow" mode where it stays on 2nd gear or above then it is smooth as glass.

Anyone experience this and if so how do you solve it?
Old 06-19-14, 03:00 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

My 2008 IS250 is just under 65K and last week the dealership took care of it for $180. The mechanic said it was really dark and it was time.
Old 06-19-14, 03:02 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

It is okay just to drain and refill with a manual transmission, but with an automatic transmission, there are a lot more nooks and crannies for the oil to remain.
Old 06-19-14, 03:04 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Sometimes it will shift hard from 1st to 2nd in normal non power mode, it also likes to hold a gear every now and again. Will hold 2nd gear up to 3500 rpm and not shift it down to 3rd after i let off the gas, it will just stay there for 3 secs then drop the gear to 3rd. Now this is just normal every day driving, basically driving it nice not getting on it... Im thinkin it could be the computer is trying to ajust to the way i drive it when i drive it hard, and doesnt know the difference when im driving it nice.. Might try and flash the ecu. Or what do you guys think?
Most likely your driving style influenced the ecu.
Old 06-19-14, 04:16 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

If it is bothering you, you could try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes ( I think) and the computer should relearn your driving habits.

However, you will also have to re calibrate your windows and seats which is a pain.

The Canadian models are physically the same, the only difference is that in the manual, it specifies to have the fluid changed at 96,000km. I was told by the dealer that Lexus specified this because of the "harsher" conditions in Canada... I happen to live in Vancouver which is very mild and not as bad as a lot of American locations.

It is a "sealed" unit, but most dealers have their "special" machines that can fully replace the fluid. And in the end the WC Toyota transmission fluid is still a fluid and won't last forever.
Old 06-19-14, 04:39 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Year - Model: 2006 IS350
Miles/KMs (at time of change or current mileage if never done): 111k
Type of fluid change (ie the special dealer way that gets all the fluid changed out, or drain and fill which only gets a couple litres at a time): drain/fill
Dealer or independent shop: I work at a dealer, performed it myself.
Cost of service: 6 qts of ATF WS, Labor free by me.
Comments
I changed my fluid myself. I am at 114k now and the fluid was dark brown and smelled burnt.

I just did a bunch of drain and fills until the draining fluid was a maroon. I drain/filled about 6 qts a few thousand miles ago, I will do it again at around 120k. All data has a "decent" representation of how to do it. Its similar to a drain/fill procedure on the G35/350z cars.

Hydraulic fluid breaks down over time. Thats that. Go 200k on factory fluid? Sure. But maybe not. Sealed transmission theory is developed for lower maintenance costs. Lexus doesn't care once it makes it past warranty.
Old 06-19-14, 08:59 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

I wanted to clear up some misinformation in this thread, our transmissions are not sealed, there is a drain and fill port, just no dipstick. BG (a big manufacturer of transmission flush machines and chemicals) developed an adapter that fits to the pressure test port and the fill port on the transmission. This allows all the fluid to be exchanged, instead of draining and filling like you would normally have to do. If somebody tells you the fluid cannot be changed, their information is out of date. The adapter has been around since 2010.
Old 06-19-14, 10:07 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by synrgy350
I wanted to clear up some misinformation in this thread, our transmissions are not sealed, there is a drain and fill port, just no dipstick. BG (a big manufacturer of transmission flush machines and chemicals) developed an adapter that fits to the pressure test port and the fill port on the transmission. This allows all the fluid to be exchanged, instead of draining and filling like you would normally have to do. If somebody tells you the fluid cannot be changed, their information is out of date. The adapter has been around since 2010.
This is some good info that I was looking for. I am guessing the BG machine is not pressurized like some of the flush machines you see at independent shops? I have heard that they tend to do more bad then good and damage seals.

Is there any sort of information on how long the Toyota WC transmission fluid really lasts in real life applications? And when it is the best idea to be changed?

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change