IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Are bags stiff enough to ride low & how to prevent bacon fenders

Old 06-18-14, 01:49 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Are bags stiff enough to ride low & how to prevent bacon fenders

This might sound like a dumb question, but I know that there's a dampener system even on bags on coilover set ups like UAS. So are they stiff enough so that you can ride flush and not have fender buckling up or no. I'm new to the rubbing and bacon fender game so what are my options to prevent this. Go bagged or super stiff rates like 18k/16k or even 20k/18k+?
Old 06-18-14, 05:36 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally didn't like riding on them super low as I would on coilovers.. But that's just me. I'm going with either 16/14 or 18/16.. Anymore than that is out of my league. I'm not doing the whole "butterfly squat" ... just low and flush. Good luck to you and your decision.

Edit: You're on BC 14/12 right? How is that handling at your current drop? Bottom out much?
Old 06-18-14, 11:05 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your setup. But generally speaking, the lower the car is, the less pressure is in the bag, thus the less stiff it is.
Old 06-18-14, 11:48 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I can ride tucking tire with my dampening all the way stiff with almost no problems. On huge dips I tap the bumper tab because I haven't relocated it yet. Once I relocate it I plan to set my ride hight a tad bit lower.
Old 06-18-14, 04:38 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
I personally didn't like riding on them super low as I would on coilovers.. But that's just me. I'm going with either 16/14 or 18/16.. Anymore than that is out of my league. I'm not doing the whole "butterfly squat" ... just low and flush. Good luck to you and your decision.

Edit: You're on BC 14/12 right? How is that handling at your current drop? Bottom out much?
Yeah, I'm on 14/12 and it's so comfy. It's like almost close to factory to me, but after seeing all these messed up fenders, I'm either going cheap air (UAS + Lower end air management) or stiffer rates like stated up top. No bottoming out. Handles great. Much more responsive. I'm leaning towards stiff coilovers because I can ride super low with no worries. I don't have the money for airrex like subiechik. I don't need stiff springs right now, but as soon as I get my rims, I don't want any future problems.
Old 06-18-14, 06:32 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Accuair lol
Old 06-18-14, 06:42 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
This might sound like a dumb question, but I know that there's a dampener system even on bags on coilover set ups like UAS. So are they stiff enough so that you can ride flush and not have fender buckling up or no. I'm new to the rubbing and bacon fender game so what are my options to prevent this. Go bagged or super stiff rates like 18k/16k or even 20k/18k+?
there is alot more factors into it than just stiffness of your setup. what are your wheel specs going to be? what are your tire specs going to be? how much camber you trying to/willing to run? how low do you plan on wanting to ride?

there is a whole lot more to it. bacon fenders come from people trying to be too low and too aggressive and one wrong bump or cut of the wheel, then bam you have applewood bacon fenders

personally im static and have pretty aggressive setup and slammed. but i made the mistake of going to soft of coils. i want to go at minimum 18k/12k setup, the 2IS is a heavy car so those rates arent as bad as people think. SC's get those rates all the time and they love them and our cars weight almost the same. if you want to go aggressvie and slammed go stiff coils or just get a good bag setup
Old 06-18-14, 06:48 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All depends on your wheel setup too. I was slammed on coils and only tinned a bit. If you have really agressive wheels is where you run into problems, especially wit poke. That's why guys with agressive wheels can't really slam or tuck their wheels.
Old 06-18-14, 11:17 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
there is alot more factors into it than just stiffness of your setup. what are your wheel specs going to be? what are your tire specs going to be? how much camber you trying to/willing to run? how low do you plan on wanting to ride?

there is a whole lot more to it. bacon fenders come from people trying to be too low and too aggressive and one wrong bump or cut of the wheel, then bam you have applewood bacon fenders

personally im static and have pretty aggressive setup and slammed. but i made the mistake of going to soft of coils. i want to go at minimum 18k/12k setup, the 2IS is a heavy car so those rates arent as bad as people think. SC's get those rates all the time and they love them and our cars weight almost the same. if you want to go aggressvie and slammed go stiff coils or just get a good bag setup
May I ask why 12k in the rear? For me personally, I feel like 12k (what I have now) still allows for my exhaust to hit the speed bumps if I'm somewhat rushed.
Old 06-18-14, 11:51 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

May I ask why 12k in the rear? For me personally, I feel like 12k (what I have now) still allows for my exhaust to hit the speed bumps if I'm somewhat rushed.
I would say a minimum of 12k only because slammed out like I am, 8K is far far from stiff enough lol. Even with me adding preload. So 12k minimum
Old 06-19-14, 06:04 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Yeah, I'm on 14/12 and it's so comfy. It's like almost close to factory to me, but after seeing all these messed up fenders, I'm either going cheap air (UAS + Lower end air management) or stiffer rates like stated up top. No bottoming out. Handles great. Much more responsive. I'm leaning towards stiff coilovers because I can ride super low with no worries. I don't have the money for airrex like subiechik. I don't need stiff springs right now, but as soon as I get my rims, I don't want any future problems.

Perfect. Love to drive low but hate the clunking that came with it.. I originally wanted to go with 18/16 setup but was afraid the 2IS might be a little light from the looks and that is why I was settling for 16\14.

jdmSW20,

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I might have to bump it up to 18\16 and have the muffler shops "raise" my pipings up as much as they can to avoid that eerie sound of scraping (impossible but the less scraping sound I hear, the better mood i'm in =p).. Saw your build, LOVE it, but I think I'm staying with 18's just because I can go a tad lower =p

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 06-19-14 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-19-14, 06:09 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Its difficult to ride slammed on bags with wheels that poke and not have fender trouble. You can lower the coils a LOT and basically ride on nearly full bags and raise dampening all the way on the coils but I still wouldnt say its a safe bet, and it's also not good on the bags to ride around daily with near maxed out bag pressure. If youre careful and streets arent full of dips and potholes, you can manage though. Because I'm bagged, thats why i choose to tuck my wheel setups. Moar camberz
Old 06-19-14, 06:47 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Well yea I forgot to mention that one duh. I have no problems because my setup tucks.

The setup I had on my Legacy poked a little bit but I never had problems with it. I had the standard 8k/6k for the Legacy and the ride SUCKED.....I can't imagine anything stiffer haha!! I would have gotten air for it but I couldn't afford it. This got old very quick

Old 06-19-14, 08:01 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SubieChik
Well yea I forgot to mention that one duh. I have no problems because my setup tucks.

The setup I had on my Legacy poked a little bit but I never had problems with it. I had the standard 8k/6k for the Legacy and the ride SUCKED.....I can't imagine anything stiffer haha!! I would have gotten air for it but I couldn't afford it. This got old very quick

Any girl daring to drive a car that low is wifey material hahahaha. #ain'tworriedboutnuttin'
Old 06-19-14, 08:10 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Hahaha. It looked good, but it wasn't fun