IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Roof and Trunk Spoiler

Old 07-07-14, 09:47 AM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LongSword
I purchased mine from eBay as well. The roof and trunk spoiler painted for $200. Purchased on 7/02, and they were shipped immediately from China. It's 7/6 and they're already in the states en route to Miami with an estimated delivery date of 7/09. So pretty much one week, and that's also including the 4th of July holiday. Not too bad. Hopefully they're of decent quality. But considering it's just spoilers and nothing that will jeopardize my safety, or performance based, as long as they look good I'm happy. Don't need the top of the line item.
Scratch that, I got mine today. So 5 days total shipping. Not bad.
Old 07-07-14, 10:15 AM
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jaytea
Or someone stole it?
Or that..
Old 07-07-14, 10:51 AM
LiquidLaos
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's really unfortunate to hear @Jingsu. That's why I'm going to take mine off and drill it on and have that peace of mind I've been looking for. I also bought a rear lip spoiler off ebay and bought the extremely strong VHB 3M tape and it holds really well but the ends are starting to come up.
Old 07-07-14, 11:08 AM
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiquidLaos
That's really unfortunate to hear @Jingsu. That's why I'm going to take mine off and drill it on and have that peace of mind I've been looking for. I also bought a rear lip spoiler off ebay and bought the extremely strong VHB 3M tape and it holds really well but the ends are starting to come up.
I didn't even make it a week with the new spoiler lol. But yeah, I am probably going to drill it if I get it again.
Old 07-08-14, 09:22 PM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jingsu
Be careful when you're installing it.. I bought and used the 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape for my OEM spoiler from Sewell. I pried out the three bolts and removed the old 3M using Goo Gone. Cleaned it as best I could and put on the new 3M tape. Covered up all the sides and put some down the middle. Cleaned off the trunk using rubbing alcohol and heated it up using a blow dryer then placed the spoiler on. I must have done something wrong because my trunk spoiler was gone the next day while I was driving it. Could have been the rain the next day.. or I must have installed it incorrectly because everyone else on this forum seems to have no problem with using just 3M tape...
Just installed mine tonight. Ima light a candle to the gods so that this doesn't happen to me. I only used the 3M tape. Although I'll tell you one thing. While aligning the trunk spoiler to put it on, I accidentally tipped the trunk with the spoiler and, well that thing is on. Tried my best to wiggle it free, but no luck. There's really no second chance with that double sided tape.
Old 07-08-14, 09:58 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Its all about prep work when using the 3M double sided tape.
Old 07-08-14, 11:06 PM
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate

Just installed mine tonight. Ima light a candle to the gods so that this doesn't happen to me. I only used the 3M tape. Although I'll tell you one thing. While aligning the trunk spoiler to put it on, I accidentally tipped the trunk with the spoiler and, well that thing is on. Tried my best to wiggle it free, but no luck. There's really no second chance with that double sided tape.
Where did you order it from? A lot of people on CL said that the 3M tape that it comes with is horrible and that we should use different 3M. Maybe I'll buy another one and try again. I'll try and "tip" the trunk with the spoiler (what does tipping mean?). Best of luck, I hope it stays on!
Old 07-08-14, 11:20 PM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

Where did you order it from? A lot of people on CL said that the 3M tape that it comes with is horrible and that we should use different 3M. Maybe I'll buy another one and try again. I'll try and "tip" the trunk with the spoiler (what does tipping mean?). Best of luck, I hope it stays on!
Tipped, as in accidentally pushed the spoiler onto the trunk. I got it from eBay. The 3M tape that came with it was that gray foam one. It'll be what it'll be, just hoping for the best but will keep my eyes on the spoiler while on the highway.
Old 07-09-14, 11:05 AM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

Took it up to 100mph. Both spoilers still on. Once I arrived at my destination I tried again to wiggle them free but nothing.
Old 07-09-14, 11:46 AM
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate

Took it up to 100mph. Both spoilers still on. Once I arrived at my destination I tried again to wiggle them free but nothing.
I can't lie but I'm pretty envious.. Did you clean your trunk a certain way? I am thinking my spoiler fell off because I didn't clean the Goo Gone off the spoiler well enough but I don't know.. Does the eBay spoiler come with the three bolts? How does the paint job look on it? I am really considering just buying one off of eBay instead of Sewell and just using the 3M tape that it comes with since you seem to have good experience so far.
Old 07-09-14, 12:59 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-09-14, 05:26 PM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

I can't lie but I'm pretty envious.. Did you clean your trunk a certain way? I am thinking my spoiler fell off because I didn't clean the Goo Gone off the spoiler well enough but I don't know.. Does the eBay spoiler come with the three bolts? How does the paint job look on it? I am really considering just buying one off of eBay instead of Sewell and just using the 3M tape that it comes with since you seem to have good experience so far.
Maybe the goo gone affected the adhesion. I washed the areas on the car, dried them. Then wiped down with alcohol both the spoilers and the area on the car. Once I applied the tape on the spoilers I made sure the 3M tape was properly on the spoilers by pressing down on the tape. Then heated up the area that was gonna be installed and placed the spoilers on the car on the warm trunk and rear windshield. The color match is good, and they're ABS plastic (i think), point is they're not fiberglass. My car is black soooooo it's probably not that difficult to match paint-wise. Since it is new paint, it's shinier than my car so I'll have to wax the car to match.

If you do go the eBay route, just send them a message first to make sure they have your color, if not it'll delay the order a bit. I truly don't know where you went wrong. To be hones,t it probably did get stolen. Although I can't imagine how they removed it, but i guess where there's a will there's a way. Here's a pic of mine.

Old 07-09-14, 05:55 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to redo my spoiler multiple times because the ends kept popping off the window. I used goof off and I don't believe it affected the adhesion of the tape. I made sure to clean it well with alcohol, and I used adhesion promoter on the glass and spoiler.
Old 07-10-14, 06:24 AM
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate

Maybe the goo gone affected the adhesion. I washed the areas on the car, dried them. Then wiped down with alcohol both the spoilers and the area on the car. Once I applied the tape on the spoilers I made sure the 3M tape was properly on the spoilers by pressing down on the tape. Then heated up the area that was gonna be installed and placed the spoilers on the car on the warm trunk and rear windshield. The color match is good, and they're ABS plastic (i think), point is they're not fiberglass. My car is black soooooo it's probably not that difficult to match paint-wise. Since it is new paint, it's shinier than my car so I'll have to wax the car to match.

If you do go the eBay route, just send them a message first to make sure they have your color, if not it'll delay the order a bit. I truly don't know where you went wrong. To be hones,t it probably did get stolen. Although I can't imagine how they removed it, but i guess where there's a will there's a way. Here's a pic of mine.

I see I see.. which spoiler is that? It looks different than the OEM one, looks great though. But you're probably right.. someone probably stole it. I don't know because I still feel like it might have flown off as I was driving because the spoiler was never on my car to a point where I felt comfortable. I could still wiggle it around and could probably rip it off if I wanted to (didn't feel like taking it off and re-doing everything). Maybe the next time I should try using adhesion promoter.
Old 07-10-14, 08:17 AM
LongSword
Driver School Candidate

The trunk is the ISF spoiler, idk what the roof one is called. If yours was wiggling then yeah it flew off. you should've tried to remove it at that point. Like i said before when i tilted my spoiler while aligning it and it slightly hit the trunk, that thing was stuck on there. Like an inch of tape touched the trunk but I couldn't remove the damn thing (Maybe I need to hit the weight room). And once I placed the rest of it on the trunk and pushed down, forget it. Thing might as well be molded on. It's been raining every afternoon over here in Miami so I hope the tape and adhesion bonded well with all the humidity but so far all signs point to yes.

Or maybe it was the way you placed the tape on the spoiler side. Maybe it wasn't gripping to it's full potential and just slightly touching both surfaces.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof and Trunk Spoiler