Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Roof and Trunk Spoiler

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-14, 09:47 AM   #16
LongSword
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
LongSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 35
LongSword LongSword
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSword View Post
I purchased mine from eBay as well. The roof and trunk spoiler painted for $200. Purchased on 7/02, and they were shipped immediately from China. It's 7/6 and they're already in the states en route to Miami with an estimated delivery date of 7/09. So pretty much one week, and that's also including the 4th of July holiday. Not too bad. Hopefully they're of decent quality. But considering it's just spoilers and nothing that will jeopardize my safety, or performance based, as long as they look good I'm happy. Don't need the top of the line item.
Scratch that, I got mine today. So 5 days total shipping. Not bad.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
LongSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 10:15 AM   #17
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Jingsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytea View Post
Or someone stole it?
Or that..
Jingsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 10:51 AM   #18
LiquidLaos
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
LiquidLaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5
@liquidlaosta
Default

That's really unfortunate to hear @Jingsu. That's why I'm going to take mine off and drill it on and have that peace of mind I've been looking for. I also bought a rear lip spoiler off ebay and bought the extremely strong VHB 3M tape and it holds really well but the ends are starting to come up.
LiquidLaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 11:08 AM   #19
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Jingsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidLaos View Post
That's really unfortunate to hear @Jingsu. That's why I'm going to take mine off and drill it on and have that peace of mind I've been looking for. I also bought a rear lip spoiler off ebay and bought the extremely strong VHB 3M tape and it holds really well but the ends are starting to come up.
I didn't even make it a week with the new spoiler lol. But yeah, I am probably going to drill it if I get it again.
Jingsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 09:22 PM   #20
LongSword
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
LongSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 35
LongSword LongSword
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingsu View Post
Be careful when you're installing it.. I bought and used the 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape for my OEM spoiler from Sewell. I pried out the three bolts and removed the old 3M using Goo Gone. Cleaned it as best I could and put on the new 3M tape. Covered up all the sides and put some down the middle. Cleaned off the trunk using rubbing alcohol and heated it up using a blow dryer then placed the spoiler on. I must have done something wrong because my trunk spoiler was gone the next day while I was driving it. Could have been the rain the next day.. or I must have installed it incorrectly because everyone else on this forum seems to have no problem with using just 3M tape...
Just installed mine tonight. Ima light a candle to the gods so that this doesn't happen to me. I only used the 3M tape. Although I'll tell you one thing. While aligning the trunk spoiler to put it on, I accidentally tipped the trunk with the spoiler and, well that thing is on. Tried my best to wiggle it free, but no luck. There's really no second chance with that double sided tape.
LongSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 09:58 PM   #21
is250916
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 92
Default

Its all about prep work when using the 3M double sided tape.
__________________
2007 IS250 Black 212
is250916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 11:06 PM   #22
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Jingsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSword View Post
Just installed mine tonight. Ima light a candle to the gods so that this doesn't happen to me. I only used the 3M tape. Although I'll tell you one thing. While aligning the trunk spoiler to put it on, I accidentally tipped the trunk with the spoiler and, well that thing is on. Tried my best to wiggle it free, but no luck. There's really no second chance with that double sided tape.
Where did you order it from? A lot of people on CL said that the 3M tape that it comes with is horrible and that we should use different 3M. Maybe I'll buy another one and try again. I'll try and "tip" the trunk with the spoiler (what does tipping mean?). Best of luck, I hope it stays on!
Jingsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 11:20 PM   #23
LongSword
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
LongSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 35
LongSword LongSword
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingsu View Post
Where did you order it from? A lot of people on CL said that the 3M tape that it comes with is horrible and that we should use different 3M. Maybe I'll buy another one and try again. I'll try and "tip" the trunk with the spoiler (what does tipping mean?). Best of luck, I hope it stays on!
Tipped, as in accidentally pushed the spoiler onto the trunk. I got it from eBay. The 3M tape that came with it was that gray foam one. It'll be what it'll be, just hoping for the best but will keep my eyes on the spoiler while on the highway.
LongSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 11:05 AM   #24
LongSword
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
LongSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 35
LongSword LongSword
Default

Took it up to 100mph. Both spoilers still on. Once I arrived at my destination I tried again to wiggle them free but nothing.
LongSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 11:46 AM   #25
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Jingsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSword View Post
Took it up to 100mph. Both spoilers still on. Once I arrived at my destination I tried again to wiggle them free but nothing.
I can't lie but I'm pretty envious.. Did you clean your trunk a certain way? I am thinking my spoiler fell off because I didn't clean the Goo Gone off the spoiler well enough but I don't know.. Does the eBay spoiler come with the three bolts? How does the paint job look on it? I am really considering just buying one off of eBay instead of Sewell and just using the 3M tape that it comes with since you seem to have good experience so far.
Jingsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 12:59 PM   #26
getafewliv
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
getafewliv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 280
Default

__________________

2006 Lexus IS350 Smokey Granite Mica w/ Sport pkg
H&R Sport Springs | F-Sport Rear Sway Bar | 2012 ISF Steering ECU
18" TSW Nurburgring wheels | Injen Intake | M2 Catback exhaust
Roadrover navigation + backup cam | 2 10W6 JL subs + JL 1000/1
6000K headlights + fogs | OEMthing spoiler + roof spoiler | F-Sport Grille
getafewliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 05:26 PM   #27
LongSword
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
LongSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 35
LongSword LongSword
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingsu View Post
I can't lie but I'm pretty envious.. Did you clean your trunk a certain way? I am thinking my spoiler fell off because I didn't clean the Goo Gone off the spoiler well enough but I don't know.. Does the eBay spoiler come with the three bolts? How does the paint job look on it? I am really considering just buying one off of eBay instead of Sewell and just using the 3M tape that it comes with since you seem to have good experience so far.
Maybe the goo gone affected the adhesion. I washed the areas on the car, dried them. Then wiped down with alcohol both the spoilers and the area on the car. Once I applied the tape on the spoilers I made sure the 3M tape was properly on the spoilers by pressing down on the tape. Then heated up the area that was gonna be installed and placed the spoilers on the car on the warm trunk and rear windshield. The color match is good, and they're ABS plastic (i think), point is they're not fiberglass. My car is black soooooo it's probably not that difficult to match paint-wise. Since it is new paint, it's shinier than my car so I'll have to wax the car to match.

If you do go the eBay route, just send them a message first to make sure they have your color, if not it'll delay the order a bit. I truly don't know where you went wrong. To be hones,t it probably did get stolen. Although I can't imagine how they removed it, but i guess where there's a will there's a way. Here's a pic of mine.

LongSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 05:55 PM   #28
getafewliv
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
getafewliv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 280
Default

I had to redo my spoiler multiple times because the ends kept popping off the window. I used goof off and I don't believe it affected the adhesion of the tape. I made sure to clean it well with alcohol, and I used adhesion promoter on the glass and spoiler.
__________________

2006 Lexus IS350 Smokey Granite Mica w/ Sport pkg
H&R Sport Springs | F-Sport Rear Sway Bar | 2012 ISF Steering ECU
18" TSW Nurburgring wheels | Injen Intake | M2 Catback exhaust
Roadrover navigation + backup cam | 2 10W6 JL subs + JL 1000/1
6000K headlights + fogs | OEMthing spoiler + roof spoiler | F-Sport Grille
getafewliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 06:24 AM   #29
Jingsu
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Jingsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSword View Post
Maybe the goo gone affected the adhesion. I washed the areas on the car, dried them. Then wiped down with alcohol both the spoilers and the area on the car. Once I applied the tape on the spoilers I made sure the 3M tape was properly on the spoilers by pressing down on the tape. Then heated up the area that was gonna be installed and placed the spoilers on the car on the warm trunk and rear windshield. The color match is good, and they're ABS plastic (i think), point is they're not fiberglass. My car is black soooooo it's probably not that difficult to match paint-wise. Since it is new paint, it's shinier than my car so I'll have to wax the car to match.

If you do go the eBay route, just send them a message first to make sure they have your color, if not it'll delay the order a bit. I truly don't know where you went wrong. To be hones,t it probably did get stolen. Although I can't imagine how they removed it, but i guess where there's a will there's a way. Here's a pic of mine.

I see I see.. which spoiler is that? It looks different than the OEM one, looks great though. But you're probably right.. someone probably stole it. I don't know because I still feel like it might have flown off as I was driving because the spoiler was never on my car to a point where I felt comfortable. I could still wiggle it around and could probably rip it off if I wanted to (didn't feel like taking it off and re-doing everything). Maybe the next time I should try using adhesion promoter.
Jingsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 08:17 AM   #30
LongSword
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
LongSword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: FL
Posts: 35
LongSword LongSword
Default

The trunk is the ISF spoiler, idk what the roof one is called. If yours was wiggling then yeah it flew off. you should've tried to remove it at that point. Like i said before when i tilted my spoiler while aligning it and it slightly hit the trunk, that thing was stuck on there. Like an inch of tape touched the trunk but I couldn't remove the damn thing (Maybe I need to hit the weight room). And once I placed the rest of it on the trunk and pushed down, forget it. Thing might as well be molded on. It's been raining every afternoon over here in Miami so I hope the tape and adhesion bonded well with all the humidity but so far all signs point to yes.

Or maybe it was the way you placed the tape on the spoiler side. Maybe it wasn't gripping to it's full potential and just slightly touching both surfaces.
LongSword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 08:17 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Spoilers slimjimtel LS460, LS460L and LS600h 8 06-17-14 11:19 PM
TN WTB Painted obsidian black trunk and roof spoiler PAINTED Downtuned General Classifieds 0 05-19-14 08:20 PM
MD WTB: Rear Roof Spoiler and Trunk Spoiler ValnVer 3Gen GS460 / 450H / 430 / 350 / 300 Classifieds (06-12) 0 04-30-14 07:39 PM
Roof Spoiler + Black Vinyl Roof NickTomsyc IS - Second Generation 9 08-13-13 05:12 AM
Roof Spoiler? AlBichay IS - Second Generation 2 01-12-13 10:26 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info