IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So what's the consensus on Linea wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 05:22 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@SonicMS
Incorrect. Linea Corse will sell replacement wheels by single pieces. That is never an issue if the wheel is in stock at the time.

From what Wheeldude seems to state, cracked wheels under warranty can occur after their inspection the wheel. "if you have an issue considered to be a manufacture defect, its covered for the life of the wheel, as long as you don't smack a curb at a high speed or drive over a big pothole" .
The point of the mater is that they themselves have said "5 Year on the Finish" so as it was stated before the buyer would be at their mercy if they want to replace a cracked wheel or not.
Old 06-19-14, 10:14 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same objective like you do when looking for wheels: light, durable, affordable with addition to style. I narrow down my choices to lightweight Enkei, and TSW.

I'm curious what is your final picks

Originally Posted by scott1256c
I really don't know how to answer that. I had three paragraphs typed out and erased them
Soliciting opinions is a reasonable place to start your research, which the OP did. I guess then you filter the opinions based on who/how they are written. I also did some searches for reliable/durable wheels etc., top 10 lists of those and tried to find manufacturers on several lists. But that is partly because reliability was important to me since I was looking for wheels lighter than the avg alloy wheel, and "light" and "durable" and "inexpensive" don't go together too well.
Old 06-19-14, 12:10 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost went with Konig Lace. Affordable and light, but decided I had questions on durability and a couple of reviews that said it looked better in the pics than in person. Konig might be fine durability wise, but they don't have people lining up to testify to the durability.
It basically came down to that or Enkei. I simply couldn't find something I thought would be better than rpf1. There is nothing I could find (other than Konig Lace) close to the weight that wasn't substantially more expensive. When I found someone in Canada with a decent price and decent shipping cost, I spent the money. Lower prices in the states, but after adding shipping and knowing the hidden brokerage fees UPS/Fedex etc. put on ground shipping, the price rises substantially.

I see you have TSW. They seem to sell a fair number, prices were good and seemed to have relatively few complaints. I know I looked at their wheels but declined because of weight or offset or I couldn't find a design I liked with the right offset/width/weight. Most manu. don't actually publish weight specs for each wheels, at least not that I could find, and it really slows you down if you have to send an email about EVERY wheel your interested in.

In case you are interested, I started looking for rims about 10 mo. ago. Wasn't in a great hurry because I wasn't going to put them on for winter anyway, but bought them sometime late last year. Only got around to purchasing the front tires last week. The rears are on the car. The fronts I got back yesterday, but they aren't on the car yet. Weekend work. Got a friend to mount the tires on the rims at work, but they aren't a tire shop, so I couldn't pull the car in and ask them to do it on the spot. Not for free anyway
Old 06-19-14, 12:50 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another reason i bought the TSW Nurburgring is because they are confirmed lightweight both by manufacturer and on the scale by the seller Need4Speed.
18x8.5 @ 19.5 lbs and 18x9.5 @ 21.05 lbs which is so much lighter than the OEM @ 28.5 lbs or so. The total 33 lbs unsprung mass saving does make acceleration and braking so much smoother.

TSW do list a lot of weight info for their wheels, example of the one i bought:
http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php

I like the Enkei and Konig too and you speak my thinking about them as well. Haha, somehow we have very similar choices.
Old 06-20-14, 08:45 AM
MarioIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great info in that thread!
May i ask if anyone ever tried or heard any good/bad info about ESM wheels? considering to run their LM rep in 18s as they have decent offsets to offer.
Old 06-20-14, 09:24 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarioIS
Lots of great info in that thread!
May i ask if anyone ever tried or heard any good/bad info about ESM wheels? considering to run their LM rep in 18s as they have decent offsets to offer.
they are not the top quality wheels discussed and a full set can be had for >800 but my buddy has 2 sets for his beemer and swears by them. Maybe because they only come in the size and style he wants but to my knowledge he never has any issues with wheel failures. Its on his DD E36. He is the most calm driver i know and doesnt do any of off road racing so thats why they hold up so well

Old 06-20-14, 09:27 AM
MarioIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
they are not the top quality wheels discussed and a full set can be had for >800 but my buddy has 2 sets for his beemer and swears by them. Maybe because they only come in the size and style he wants but to my knowledge he never has any issues with wheel failures. Its on his DD E36. He is the most calm driver i know and doesnt do any of off road racing so thats why they hold up so well

Appreciate your reply NYKnick101. Guess ill look for different brands. The thing is there aren't that much of choice when it comes to 18s
Old 06-20-14, 10:02 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

18's is actually the more popular size when it comes to rims. Im sure if you keep looking you will find something good. What is your budget and maybe we can recommend some brands to look at
Old 06-20-14, 10:06 AM
MarioIS
Driver School Candidate

the huge problem is international shipping ive been quoted 500$ to ship a set of wheels to my destination.

So keeping shipping aside my budget would be around 900 - 1000$. My aim is to have something tucked in a tiny bit to preserve and avoid any tire stretch. And of course avoid any fender rolling / cutting clips etc..
Old 06-20-14, 11:40 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

the huge problem is international shipping ive been quoted 500$ to ship a set of wheels to my destination.

So keeping shipping aside my budget would be around 900 - 1000$. My aim is to have something tucked in a tiny bit to preserve and avoid any tire stretch. And of course avoid any fender rolling / cutting clips etc..
You're better off with the new varrstoen es2h.. they are coming mid July. They are like es2 but milder width and offset. Its 8.5 front and 9.5 rear I forgot the offset.
Old 06-20-14, 11:47 AM
MarioIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metaleckz
You're better off with the new varrstoen es2h.. they are coming mid July. They are like es2 but milder width and offset. Its 8.5 front and 9.5 rear I forgot the offset.
thanks for your input metaleckz.
Doubt theyll have 18x8.5 but hope theyll do. It looks like a nice wheel. Wish i can run 19s.
But road conditions here are horrible
Old 06-20-14, 12:38 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

thanks for your input metaleckz.
Doubt theyll have 18x8.5 but hope theyll do. It looks like a nice wheel. Wish i can run 19s.
But road conditions here are horrible
They will likely have that sizing, and you can get them to machine the back pad to raise the offset I believe, but it does cost extra to do that.

As it stands, currently the least aggressive sizing they have in the ES2 is 18x9.5 +30. Great for the rear, not so much for the front lol
Old 06-20-14, 12:39 PM
MarioIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
They will likely have that sizing, and you can get them to machine the back pad to raise the offset I believe, but it does cost extra to do that.

As it stands, currently the least aggressive sizing they have in the ES2 is 18x9.5 +30. Great for the rear, not so much for the front lol
yup thats what i thought of lol
Old 06-20-14, 01:44 PM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Another reason i bought the TSW Nurburgring is because they are confirmed lightweight both by manufacturer and on the scale by the seller Need4Speed.
18x8.5 @ 19.5 lbs and 18x9.5 @ 21.05 lbs which is so much lighter than the OEM @ 28.5 lbs or so. The total 33 lbs unsprung mass saving does make acceleration and braking so much smoother.

I like the Enkei and Konig too and you speak my thinking about them as well. Haha, somehow we have very similar choices.
What is the significance of shaving 20-30lbs off the wheels on a almost 4000lb car? Not trying to start an argument, I really want to know.
Old 06-20-14, 01:54 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS

I am very glad I went with my TSW Nurburgring wheels. I almost picked up some Linea Corse wheels off of Craigslist but they were too expensive and curbed.

I got lucky and the next nice looking set that would fit was my TSWs. They happen to fit PERFECT and I got them for $1000 with almost new tires and TPMS sensors. I ended up replacing the tires though because they were 45 series.

Quick Reply: So what's the consensus on Linea wheels?