IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why do I scrape on only one side?

Old 06-06-14, 04:51 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Why do I scrape on only one side?

So I've been really confused. I didn't used to scrape (that often) making left and right turns but now, I'm constantly scraping. What's weird is the lip is beat up on the driver side but the driver side is fine. I made both the front and rear stiffer. Almost maxed and I still have this problem. Anyone know why? My weight?
It always happens when I'm making that loop to get onto the freeway or to get back into the inside roads.

Old 06-06-14, 04:53 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which side is more beat up? If I read it right, you said the driver side is beat up, but it is also fine.
Old 06-06-14, 05:05 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Driver side is beat up but I measured both sides. They're both even in height. Idk why the left scrapes but not the right
Old 06-06-14, 07:03 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you compensate for your weight?
Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
Driver side is beat up but I measured both sides. They're both even in height. Idk why the left scrapes but not the right
Old 06-06-14, 07:43 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Yeah so should I make my side stiffer than the right side?
Old 06-06-14, 11:00 PM
senxation
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're probably rubbing those metal tabs that are beyond the fender liners. Lol, and do you have your front lip for sale still?!
Old 06-07-14, 12:15 AM
Kd0t
Driver

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
Yeah so should I make my side stiffer than the right side?
Do NOT make one side stiffer/softer than the other side. You want to change them in sync, so the fronts should be the same and the rears should be the same
Old 06-07-14, 12:40 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by senxation
You're probably rubbing those metal tabs that are beyond the fender liners. Lol, and do you have your front lip for sale still?!
I hear this noise when I hit bumps. Maybe I'm rubbing or maybe I'm scraping. I can't even tell. I'm so new to the game LOL. Is sounds like it hits something but idk. I touched the bottom of the lip and it's messed up so I'm pretty sure I'm scraping. Its hard to rub on stock rims. I did the fender tab relocation too
Old 06-07-14, 12:49 AM
JusticeK
Rookie

I had a similar issue. I am pretty low and I had 235/19s on and they were meaty. What happened was that when I tweaked the coils, one side was very slightly lower than the other side. Many of the times, its hard to make both left and right exactly even since the ground is not even. You need to find a ground thats even and measure the fender to ground several times and tweak the coils accordingly.

Another thing is if you have soft coils like Megan EZs or anything 10k~ up front, I think its easy to scrape. Especially when you are low. Do you have 10k BCs? If you have an aftermarket front lip and you want to go low, I think its important to get something 12-14k. I only have the GFX splitters and I rub a lot on my front bumper.

Jay
Old 06-07-14, 01:35 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JusticeK
I had a similar issue. I am pretty low and I had 235/19s on and they were meaty. What happened was that when I tweaked the coils, one side was very slightly lower than the other side. Many of the times, its hard to make both left and right exactly even since the ground is not even. You need to find a ground thats even and measure the fender to ground several times and tweak the coils accordingly.

Another thing is if you have soft coils like Megan EZs or anything 10k~ up front, I think its easy to scrape. Especially when you are low. Do you have 10k BCs? If you have an aftermarket front lip and you want to go low, I think its important to get something 12-14k. I only have the GFX splitters and I rub a lot on my front bumper.

Jay
Thanks for the info Jay. I'm running 14k front and 12k rear. I've only had these for a month and running into so much trouble. Think I'm gonna buy 18k/16k or go bags.. Can't decide. But ya you're right. I tried lowering the driver side by myself and I think I messed up the presets.. Not sure. But I turned it back to normal after messing with it.
Old 06-07-14, 01:38 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

It's just an annoying feeling and I don't want to end up cracking my front lip.. And I don't wanna have to deal with this noise everyone I'm rushing. I'm not even that low to be dealing with these problems ahh
Old 06-07-14, 01:38 PM
jennie
Pole Position

There's the issue of you adding 150+ pounds when you get into the driver seat. Also your car is probably not corner balanced so even though the height is the same, each corner will probably have different load, leading to annoying scraping.
Old 06-07-14, 08:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have the "Lexus Lean." I assume you're scraping your lip on that one side since you turn the same all the time. I used to have my Megan LP's as stuff as I could be. Stiffen them both up.
Old 06-07-14, 08:42 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
"Lexus Lean."
purple drank
Old 06-07-14, 09:10 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
You may have the "Lexus Lean." I assume you're scraping your lip on that one side since you turn the same all the time. I used to have my Megan LP's as stuff as I could be. Stiffen them both up.
It's weird. Even when I turn right, I scrape on my left side. My car is like wobbling up and down and I could just tell it's gonna scrape in the next split second. LOL.. I already made both the front and the rear as stiff as possible. Still no fix

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do I scrape on only one side?