IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine noise help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 11:16 AM
SKStark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise help

Well, I'm nut sure what happened but yesterday on the highway the engine started making really distinctive knocking noise, almost like hammering, metal which depends on the RPM. So i parked the car, and now trying to figure out what it is, my guess it would be the timing chain? water pump? I'm clueless. And the dashboard doesn't have the check engine light on. Am i still okay to drive it like that to the shop? or that would kill the engine completely?
Old 06-01-14, 11:36 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles you have? My water pump went last month at 95k more of a grinding noise which got louder when I pressed gas. I would get it in right away you have warranty?
Old 06-01-14, 12:27 PM
SKStark
Driver School Candidate

150+k miles but they did the recall engine rebuild or something like that about 12k miles ago, i think that they had the warranty for that for like a year, which hasn't passed but i think the warranty was 12 months or 10k miles
Old 06-01-14, 02:37 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Definitely TOW it back to the dealership; no sense on causing MORE damage on driving it any further. If you'd like to check it yourself, I'd start by draining the motor oil and checking for metal flake in the oil. Can you tell if it was coming from the front end of the motor or inside the motor?
Old 06-01-14, 10:59 PM
lacroix
Driver School Candidate

water pump for sure, if it was anything else u would have mil illuminated. I do 1 a week on these.
Old 06-02-14, 03:36 AM
SKStark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lacroix
water pump for sure, if it was anything else u would have mil illuminated. I do 1 a week on these.
Water pump would cause that metal noise? Its pretty damn loud and scary.
Old 06-02-14, 05:33 AM
jsh139
Rookie

What happens on these cars when the water pump goes? Is it a simple bearing failure? Or something more? Older BMW water pumps were notorious for having their plastic impellers shatter, sending shards of plastic through the engine's cooling system. Not good.
Old 06-02-14, 06:30 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SKStark
Water pump would cause that metal noise? Its pretty damn loud and scary.
yep happen to me not a good sound.
Old 06-02-14, 07:35 AM
DeanIS
Rookie

water pump bearing is bad....
Old 06-02-14, 11:56 AM
Gville350

How I see it is that the WP bearing can goe (which can cause noises by itself), but then that causes the WP impellor to "walk" around perhaps causing metal-to-metal contact and additional noises itself. Not a good position to be in.
Old 06-02-14, 12:28 PM
SKStark
Driver School Candidate

Just came back from the dealer. They told me i need a new motor that the knocking is coming from the bottom part, so i would need a new short block. I was also told that when they opened it up, there was no oil in the motor.
I didn't have any low oil pressure or low oil warning lights not before not during the time that this happened.
The piston and ring job that they did before is warrantied for 1 year (which hasn't passed) but they are saying that they can't do anything with that and that they will have to charge me 16.5 for the new motor…
Suggestions?
Old 06-02-14, 02:55 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this a 250 or 350?
Old 06-02-14, 03:57 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Piston and ring job? Are you referring to the carbon build up campaign?
Old 06-02-14, 04:40 PM
Gville350

Did you not check the oil level when you started having these noises? Where you park every night, is there not a puddle there? I assume in-between the time Lexus did their work and today someone somewhere did an oil change on the car...yes? Whom? Check the under engine cover for oil; if there is oil residue all over the place from leaking, then the car was not properly filled with oil last oil change.

Find a used, long block and get a local shop to swap it in for you; you'll save thousands.
Old 06-04-14, 08:11 AM
SKStark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Is this a 250 or 350?
Originally Posted by Sceanzo
Piston and ring job? Are you referring to the carbon build up campaign?
Yes, so basically they rebuild the engine.
Originally Posted by Gville350
Did you not check the oil level when you started having these noises? Where you park every night, is there not a puddle there? I assume in-between the time Lexus did their work and today someone somewhere did an oil change on the car...yes? Whom? Check the under engine cover for oil; if there is oil residue all over the place from leaking, then the car was not properly filled with oil last oil change.

Find a used, long block and get a local shop to swap it in for you; you'll save thousands.
The oil was not supposed to be an issue, I change it regularly, and i checked, that was the first thing i did check, the dip stick showed normal levels, on top of that i would assume that some kind of warning light or CEL would come up indicating a low oil pressure or low levels of oil. I checked for leaks - none, and 6 liters of oil don't just disappear, the oil pan is also intact. The whole undercarriage is clean.

Quick Reply: Engine noise help