IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First IS350 to daily 255's in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 08:35 PM
TheMaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First IS350 to daily 255's in the front?

After tons of searching and no definitive answer I took a chance and got 255/35/18 Dunlop ZII's for my front tires and 275/35/18 for the rear. I knew the rears would fit but I only had my own measurements and a few threads that said "possibly" to go off of for the fronts. The Dunlops run wider than most rubber with the same size so I was very nervous but I can now say they fit perfectly. No fender tab modifications, rolled fenders, or heated liner mods whatsoever. I am not slammed by any means, however, I do plan on going slightly lower when I get into a shop to get corner balanced as there seems to be enough room. The rear seems to be more limiting as I have an F Sport rear brace that hangs lower than the exhaust. I am lowered on KW V3 coils and run 18x8.5 + 38 Enkei NT03 in the front as well as 18x9.5 +40 in the rear. Camber is currently set at -2.2 front and -1.4 rear with basically 0 toe. Adjustments are made via SPC joints in the front and Megan arms in the rear both of which I am satisfied with but will be changed in the future. Per my measurements the overall diameter in the front is .1 shorter than stock and the rear is .4. My speedometer seems to be reading fine with a max of 1MPH off when I went past radar signs. I will update with better photos of the front but here are a few cell phone photos to kick the thread off with!
Attached Thumbnails First IS350 to daily 255's in the front?-1.jpg   First IS350 to daily 255's in the front?-2.jpg   First IS350 to daily 255's in the front?-3.jpg   First IS350 to daily 255's in the front?-4.jpg  
Old 05-27-14, 08:39 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks good! Is that a greddy sp elite exhaust?
Old 05-27-14, 08:43 PM
TheMaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
Looks good! Is that a greddy sp elite exhaust?
Thanks! No, it is the Tanabe Medalion exhaust.
Old 05-27-14, 11:10 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

well from the looks of it you are about stock height so of course you dont need any of those fender mods lol. but if you plan on going lower, even if just lowering springs with that wide of tire up front, plan on those coming. or the tire is just going to gravity pull the fenders on its own
Old 05-28-14, 12:52 AM
JusticeK
Rookie

Must be hella comfortable compared to my 215s.

Actually, my hankook 215s are pretty comfortable lol, so I can't imagine how 255s feel.

Jay
Old 05-28-14, 05:11 AM
TheMaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
well from the looks of it you are about stock height so of course you dont need any of those fender mods lol. but if you plan on going lower, even if just lowering springs with that wide of tire up front, plan on those coming. or the tire is just going to gravity pull the fenders on its own
I actually have my KWs set slightly lower than the drop F Sport springs provide. I am not basing numbers off of the given Lexus specs for the springs, but off the numbers found in this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...with-pics.html by measuring from the ground to the top of each wheel well. I am 1/4 of an inch lower than F Sports in both the front and the rear. I know my photo doesn't do a good job of showing it. The overall diameter of my 255/35 is actually 1/10 of an inch shorter compared to a stock 225/40. There are a ton of people on this forum dropped much farther on either coils or Road Magnet springs with factory tires. I know going a little bit lower could cause problems because of the width but the height is in the clear. Even as it is sitting now the width of the tire is no where near anything it could rub on. I am sure a huge part of this is due to my offsets and alignment though as well. All 4 corners will be different heights once I go get corner balanced anyways

Originally Posted by JusticeK
Must be hella comfortable compared to my 215s.

Actually, my hankook 215s are pretty comfortable lol, so I can't imagine how 255s feel.

Jay
No issues with comfort except the loudness of using a street/track tire.
Old 05-28-14, 06:55 AM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! I have been riding on 255/40r18 in the front 18x9 and 285/35r18 rear Work wheels... I have a 1" gap between the tires and the fender well on Stance custom coils 14k/12k springs and dampening at max stiffness and I get rubbage on major dips on front and rear and rubbage on fronts on hard turns... Other than that it looks great and drives nice to me most of the time...
Old 05-28-14, 07:56 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Very nice looking. This gives me confidence I can get my 255/35/18 square setup working without to many issues since I am running a very similar setup on wheels and suspension/alignment. Might be just slightly lower than your are at a finger gap and a half but that can always be adjusted. Thanks for all the details.
Old 05-28-14, 08:29 AM
An2ny
Driver

Thanks you for posting!
I have been looking for this exact info; I am planning on running 255/ 35 all around with 18x8.5 +38

_Does anyone knows what is the maximum possible camber in stock form (front & rear)?
Old 05-28-14, 08:50 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by An2ny
Thanks you for posting!
I have been looking for this exact info; I am planning on running 255/ 35 all around with 18x8.5 +38

_Does anyone knows what is the maximum possible camber in stock form (front & rear)?
What do you mean by "maximum possible camber in stock form"? You know you can't adjust camber completely stock, right? My car is at stock height with Megan front UCAs, it is at -1.6 degrees now. If you maxed out the adjustment you could get about -2.0, but at stock height it would put the ball joint at an angle that would likely wear it out prematurely.

Edit: OP, are you going to take the car to the track to take advantage of that sticky new rubber? Also how do the tires ride? I almost got a set of ZIIs but shyed away due to most reviewers saying they are among the harshest riding "street" tires on the market.
Old 05-28-14, 09:53 AM
An2ny
Driver

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
What do you mean by "maximum possible camber in stock form"? You know you can't adjust camber completely stock, right? My car is at stock height with Megan front UCAs, it is at -1.6 degrees now. If you maxed out the adjustment you could get about -2.0, but at stock height it would put the ball joint at an angle that would likely wear it out prematurely.

Edit: OP, are you going to take the car to the track to take advantage of that sticky new rubber? Also how do the tires ride? I almost got a set of ZIIs but shyed away due to most reviewers saying they are among the harshest riding "street" tires on the market.
I meant on a 100% stock IS second gen 250 or 350 RWD cars from the US market, if you try to max out (increase) negative camber at the front and/or rear end of the car, without using any aftermarket items; what is the maximum negative camber degree achievable?
No, I wasn’t aware that camber was not adjustable at all from the factory. So I guess that the question should be: What is the fixed camber degree that these cars are set from the factory?

I thought that I remember seeing an eccentric camber bolt in this car, but maybe I am thinking about a different car…

_I will look into the SPC joints for the front and I am not looking to get too much camber at the rear so hopefully the OEM settings will be ok since my car is lowered. I will try to check my current specs this weekend.
Old 05-28-14, 10:00 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, first time seeing a bulky tires on front and back. It looks kind of strange in a good way lol.

You must have gained a lot more comfort while the handling performance especially in cornering will decrease.
Old 05-28-14, 10:33 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
You must have gained a lot more comfort while the handling performance especially in cornering will decrease.
Actually I think the opposite would be true. The Dunlop Direzza ZIIs are basically the stickiest/best handling/most precise tire you can get that doesn't fall into the "streetable competition" tire category. These tires win autocross races every weekend, but on a car the weight of a 2IS they will likely only last ~10,000 street miles. One way they get top handling scores is by making the sidewall REALLY stiff. Everything in this class of tire gives up some ride comfort, the ZII has always been among the roughest/worst riding tire in the class.

Last edited by WylieKylie; 05-28-14 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Removed content that wasn't nice
Old 05-28-14, 11:16 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My quick post above is a made quickly based on the idea that "Thin sidewalls are also stiffer and deliver better cornering and road feel". I did not do any detail calculation before saying something that is not accurate.

Without calculating and comparing the sidewall between the stock vs. this set up, I assume that this set up have bigger sidewalls simply based on the pictures. Hence, bigger sidewalls offer more comfort while decrease handling performance.

Now, I calculate the sidewall between the stock tires vs this:
Front:
225 x 0.4 = 90 (stock ) vs. 255*0.35 = 89.25 (this set up)
Rear:
255*0.4 = 102 (stock) vs. 275*0.35 = 96.25 (this set up)
Upon calculating this, I see that this set up has thinner sidewall so this is stiffer (less comfortable) while providing better handling.

Also, handling performance is further emphasized by the wider tires because of more traction.

I would be more careful of saying something too quickly that is prone to inaccuracy. Thank you for the correction.

Last edited by FSportIS; 05-28-14 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-28-14, 11:19 AM
An2ny
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Lol, first time seeing a bulky tires on front and back. It looks kind of strange in a good way lol.

You must have LOST a lot more comfort while the handling performance especially in cornering will INCREASE.
Fixed!!!

If you are talking about the sidewalls…
Stock Front tires = 225/40/18 that is ~3.54 sidewall
New Front tires = 255/35/18 that is ~ 3.51 sidewall

Stock Rear tires = 255/40/18 that is ~4.02 sidewall
New Front tires = 275/35/18 that is ~ 3.79 sidewall

1) Not only they are smaller but especially these ZII have very stiff sidewall so the comfort level should go down a lot.
2) He installed wider than OEM tires and with all things equal and without getting technical they should generate more grip.
3) He installed Dunlop’s ZII tires; those are one of the best “street” tires available at the moment.
4) He installed lighter/wider wheels, so these can only help handling.

Last edited by An2ny; 05-28-14 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: First IS350 to daily 255's in the front?