IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oil overfill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 06:20 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil overfill?

Just got an oil change at a new spot today. After I left I noticed they charged me 8 qts. I know it only takes 6.5-7. I check and sure enough its about a cm above the top fill line. Is this bad? Is there an easy way to just take out a little oil without making a mess, or should I not even worry about it?
Old 05-27-14, 06:55 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomiv9
Just got an oil change at a new spot today. After I left I noticed they charged me 8 qts. I know it only takes 6.5-7. I check and sure enough its about a cm above the top fill line. Is this bad? Is there an easy way to just take out a little oil without making a mess, or should I not even worry about it?

That much of oil over the limit, I would remove it. Simple way, get a syringe and the long enough tube and inset into the oil dept stick, and suck it that way. If u don't have it, you can get the oil change pump kit from Walmart, or any auto store. you can always use it later to remove and replace the brake and power steering fluid, or even the differential oil change.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-14, 08:24 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Check with the dip stick. Use a pump or syringe. They might have used extra oil to flush out more of the old oil, but I never heard any place doing that (only people who change their own oil).

Or they might have not change the oil in the first place if you took it to a shaddy place.
Old 05-27-14, 08:26 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would definitely get it removed. Oil overfill is much worst than low oil; the extra pressure can burst out at a random location in your engine.

Cheapest way to remove it is to just unscrew the oil filter housing a little bit. Removing the oil filter removes a maximum of 0.5 qts.
Old 05-28-14, 04:55 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully they just accidentally billed the wrong amount of oil (not uncommon when i worked in a dealership).

The parts guys would always bill the oil before the tech filled his oil jug and for some newer parts guys it wasnt uncommon for them to get the oil quantity wrong for some models. I never had a tech overfill a car because of the parts dept billing it wrong.

Now if it was a private shop, both the parts and tech could have gotten it wrong and billed too much and filled too much oil.

Check the oil level..if its good, call them ask for some $$$ back or a credit for the next oil change if you plan on going back.
Old 05-28-14, 05:00 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Thanks. I hope they changed the oil they seem reputable but I will inspect and try to figure that out. I think I'll try the syringe/Walmart option first, as I don't have the filter wrench. But I'm thinking I'll be getting one of those soon too. On second inspection it is actually a little less then 1 cm above top fill line, but still don't want yo risk anything. Thanks again
Old 05-28-14, 10:32 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Ok so i couldnt find anything at walmart, and just went ahead and ordered the filter wrench. Does anyone know, if i remove the filter while the car is still full of oil, is all the oil going to run out? or only the 0.5 qt in the filter?

Last edited by tomiv9; 05-28-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-28-14, 12:02 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Why not just go back to the place and have them fix your mistake?
Old 05-28-14, 12:14 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Are you sure they overfilled your car???
Places that do it right charge you an extra quart to flush out your old oil. Our cars take in 7 qt.

If your car is not sluggish ( when I mean sluggish I mean slow *** Pho..ck) and you are not putting out white smoke from your exhaust then you are okay, no need to worry.
Old 05-28-14, 12:27 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Are you saying that overfilling the motor with too much oil is ok as long as you don't see smoke out the exhaust?
Old 05-28-14, 12:28 PM
DKIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by azfsprt
Are you sure they overfilled your car???
Places that do it right charge you an extra quart to flush out your old oil. Our cars take in 7 qt.
Extra quart to flush out the old oil?? Thats a new one to me.
Seems excessive or just a money maker for a shop unless the engine seems to be a sludge monster. (and even then thats useless)

Last edited by DKIS350; 05-28-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 12:54 PM
Jaykobo
Driver School Candidate

Another idea I always do it .....open and remove the oil drain plug 2 seconds and re-plug it....hand tight ....check the oil level.....and open it again if it necessary ...torque it when you finish .....it's need fast action...that's the cheapest one

Do it while the engine is off.......and better when the engine is cold so you not hurt your self with the hot oil

Over fill oil level cause seals leaking or ruptured on high RPM specially the harmonic balancer or the rear engine O seals .
Old 05-28-14, 02:20 PM
94SRUNNER
Driver School Candidate

If it were my car, I would remove the excess oil.
Old 05-28-14, 03:28 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

I would just take it back to the shop and have them fix it. Not your mistake.
Old 05-28-14, 05:00 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DKIS350
Extra quart to flush out the old oil?? Thats a new one to me.
Seems excessive or just a money maker for a shop unless the engine seems to be a sludge monster. (and even then thats useless)
I dont think so personally, since we have almost 7 qts. I usually do that with my oil change to make sure all the old oil comes out. 7:1 ratio is not as much as it seems.
Sorry forgot to mention I use the extra from my 5 qt containers since I buy 2- 5qt containers at a cheaper price.

BUT there are some shops that do rip off and charge for 1 more qt when they only use a less than a qt to flush the old oil and say that for whatever reason that they "supposedly cant re-use the oil" or whatever BS excuse they give to make a quick buck.

Gville350. NO overfilling is not okay thats why I said that maybe that shop used 1 quart or less to flush the old oil out and charged him for 8. I thought that was understood when I said that..

Last edited by azfsprt; 05-28-14 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: oil overfill?