IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New at modding

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 10:56 PM
Funktion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoyOhBoy
If you're near San Jose, I can help you out in person or give you recommendations on where to get your tints, paint job, coilover install, fender roll or exhaust install. If you already have an invidia, I would pair that up with either a Tanabe or Greddy SP/SE Axleback. As for coilovers, I just got new BC Racing coilovers installed 3 days ago so you can check out my build thread if anything. PM me if you have any questions.
i'm not near san jose. I Live in burlingame. But I can drive down there. I will message you.
Old 05-20-14, 11:02 PM
Funktion
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
When I fist started modding, I needed to see if I wanted to make it more of a performance enhancement or just for show, or maybe even a little of both. For instance, I wouldn't rock some heavy wheels and skinny tires if I wanted to go to the track. Because you're in CA, truthfully for this time, I'd get tint as the first "mod." It can definitely save your skin from some unnecessary burning for these next few months.

Then, it's pretty much up to you and your vision for what you want to achieve with your ride. Coilovers are great to be able to adjust, while springs give a great lowered look. Wheels are generally going to make your car better, and I see you were really taking a liking to the VS-XX. Lip kits and body kits will come into play when you figure out how low or high you'll be riding. Keep in mind, paint may or may not be cheap, and to constantly scrape and having to repaint a certain part can get tiresome over the long haul. Performance wise, you have some great options. Intakes, exhaust, headers, even the ability to supercharge or turbo if you wanted.

Something that a few have mentioned and most likely gets overlooked first is LED lighting. It changes the look of the car so much. And it's really inexpensive. It adds clarity inside and out of your car, and gives it a refreshed, newer look.

Best of luck, and definitely check out the build threads here for inspiration. There are some really great unique rides showcased on the forums, and many members are always there for support and help. And most importantly, just have fun with it!
Thank you so much for the suggestions. It really helped me thinking. But I just wish someone could help me in person and guide me through stuff. I am new to everything, I don't even know what offset means lol. sorry im a newbie. but I really want to get started with this modding. Thank you everyone.
Old 05-20-14, 11:19 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Funktion
i'm not near san jose. I Live in burlingame. But I can drive down there. I will message you.
Ayyeeeee haha I will have another local meet. And you can ask everyone about their mods. Last time it was at westlake and most of us were modded.
Old 05-20-14, 11:28 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Ayyeeeee haha I will have another local meet. And you can ask everyone about their mods. Last time it was at westlake and most of us were modded.
Make a meet in the South Bay area please!! Real interested
Old 05-20-14, 11:47 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Make a meet in the South Bay area please!! Real interested
That is too far but they do always make one over there. And more people come
Old 05-21-14, 09:33 AM
Funktion
Driver School Candidate

Okay that sounds great. I can come to Westlake for sure. Any places you would recommend going to for modding?
Old 05-21-14, 09:40 AM
KL411
Rookie

When Metaleckz organize another local meet, please feel free to swing by. Definitely a better experience when you get to see/hear the mods in person.
Old 05-23-14, 12:02 AM
Funktion
Driver School Candidate

I have another question. Isn't better just to go air than go coilovers?
Old 05-23-14, 12:44 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It'll depend on what you're trying to achieve. If you want more performance and to enhance the car to turn and speed whenever, then I'd go coilovers. If you're looking to make it a show car or to give it a "dumped" look, then air is the way to go. I've seen some ISx50 guys dump their cars and it looks really good, but even when they raise their cars with air, the ride quality isn't there even when cruising on the freeway. Another buddy has coilovers and maxed out its lowness and he rubs everywhere, even on the slightest road imperfection. but he likes it because he wants that road feedback.. You just have to figure out what you want to do and go from there.
Old 05-23-14, 09:39 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Yes, there's bags that go over your coilovers (Ksport and UAS) and then there's the more expensive kinds that are just bags like airforce suspension, air runner, and airrex. I just learned this from yammy yesterday since I'm new to air myself. Everything depends on your budget. Air will cost you anywhere from 3000-5500
Old 05-23-14, 01:40 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Yes, there's bags that go over your coilovers (Ksport and UAS) and then there's the more expensive kinds that are just bags like airforce suspension, air runner, and airrex. I just learned this from yammy yesterday since I'm new to air myself. Everything depends on your budget. Air will cost you anywhere from 3000-5500

So bags over coilovers are better in ride quality?
What are the pros and cons of coilover bag and just bag?
Old 05-23-14, 02:40 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

So bags over coilovers are better in ride quality?
What are the pros and cons of coilover bag and just bag?
Just bags makes you feel like you're riding on clouds but it cost near 5 grand. Bags on coils doesnt nearly feel as comfy but it's still more comfy than coilovers alone. That's all I know as of now.
Old 05-23-14, 03:59 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Just bags makes you feel like you're riding on clouds but it cost near 5 grand. Bags on coils doesnt nearly feel as comfy but it's still more comfy than coilovers alone. That's all I know as of now.
Really? I heard its stiff as ****!
Old 05-23-14, 04:06 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Really? I heard its stiff as ****!
Well my friend has just bags as he tells me it's really comfy
Old 05-23-14, 10:29 PM
mlum808
Driver

IF your going bags dont go the UAS route to many issues with rubbing and what not. Spend the money and get Airrex. RIde is not to soft not to stiff..