IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New at modding

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 04:20 PM
Funktion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New at modding

I believe this is my second post of mine, my name is Julian and I live in the bay area.

At the moment, I drive a 2008 Lexus IS250 and it has only 62k miles. I am not sure if that is a lot or a little. So, lately I saved enough money to buy mods, such as coilovers, exhaust, rims, or the other accessories like window visors. I need serious help with ideas and suggestion what I should get for coilovers, exhaust and rims. Many people told me to get bc racing but some people told me to just get megan lp because bc racing has more adjustment options? and its good for the tracks? I'm not sure what I remembered. The price between the two are similar. I believe bc are 995 and the other one is around 900. Moving onto exhaust, I want a sound that matches with a lexus. I don't want it to be too loud or too soft? any suggestions? Also at the moment, I have an invidia midpipe that I bought long time ago, I haven't put it on my car yet.

I also need some suggestions for rims, I love black or gold rims, so when I saw those work vs-xx I fell in love. But the price is just too much for me right now. Its about 4k out the door i think. Can anyone give me some ideas of what I should start on first?

My budget as of right now is 6k, and I want to buy as much things as possible with that money. either exhaust and coilovers and the other accessories like window visors, roof spoiler, rear diffuser or a different lip? I am not sure where to start.

My last question is is it better to buy new coilovers or used coilovers? is there a difference?

I found someone who is selling some bc racing that has 10k on them for 750.

Please help me fam. IM NEWW
Old 05-19-14, 04:45 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

First, Google yourself some pics of fellow 2IS owners cars with their mods and see what direction you'll want to take your car. Post up the pics of those cars you like and would like for your car to look like down the road. Next, think about the main purpose of this vehicle; is it your daily? Then keep in mind reliability and the roads you drive on. Do you care about the handling of the car, or just visual appearance and sound?

Do yourself a favor and DON'T get used coilovers.

So you like these wheels huh?

Old 05-19-14, 04:55 PM
Funktion
Driver School Candidate

yes I love those. Its just that its about 3.6k plus tax so the guy who is going to order it for me when i buy it told me it was 4k out the door. That is such a nice car. I just don't know where to start. I kind of want a tanabe exhaust. Do you know if that is good or the Greddy on a is250 is better?
Old 05-19-14, 05:21 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Heres what ill buy for 6k
1. Bc racing coilovers 1k
2. Lip kit plus paint ~1k? + spoiler
3. F-sport intake
4. Tanabe exhaust or f sport exhaust
5. Tint
6. Rims

That should be enough
Old 05-19-14, 05:50 PM
Funktion
Driver School Candidate

but that doesn't include labor does it? what kind of rims though? is buying used rims bad too?
Old 05-19-14, 06:05 PM
LexusGuyyy
Rookie

Tint and a Lip kit with paint would probably need labor from a professional, everything else could be done with a couple of buddies and some beer,
Old 05-19-14, 07:24 PM
metaleckz
Racer

I would buy a used one for the right price but you have to check them if they have cracks or something similar.
Old 05-19-14, 08:43 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd save yourself some money and have a little more for rims if you just buy the JoeZ pipe and an HKS filter... Many sell them used on here which what I did and bought a new filter, cost me $130 total for coils that is true BCs is what most on here have I went with ksport with 8k/6k kept my car at pretty much stock ride with enough stiffness for corners I love the way they ride... As wheels go check out the classifieds on here
Old 05-19-14, 11:33 PM
willSFP
Driver

Regarding your coilover decision, it really depends on what you're trying to achieve with your car. If you want to lower your car just to get rid of wheel gap and keep the ride close to stock, in my opinion I would keep it budget friendly with some Megan EZ's. But if you're looking to run aggressive wheels, slam your car, or even track it, go with the BC's for sure and run custom spring rates to accommodate your look. I'm running Megan LP's right now and am pretty low and I must say I'm satisfied with them but am making the change to BC's soon to accommodate aggressive wheels
Old 05-20-14, 10:57 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you can find more details here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-199/
Old 05-20-14, 09:07 PM
jjeongx
Driver School Candidate

Spending more time searching for wheels may save you a lot of money. Depending on the wheels the difference from brand new to great condition used (maybe a chip of paint here and there) is probably more than any other mod on your car.

It does take patience and a lot of searching but im sure you'll find something.

I feel visually tint, rear spoiler (unless you already have one), and replaced led bulbs all around make a big difference for cheap.

I dont know much about coilovers so I can help you here.

Intake and exhaust. These cars sound very throaty with just an fsport exhaust and I dont notice droning on the highways. Both of these can be found used for much cheaper.

Im also feeling the mod bug this summer and plan to do a lot of what your trying to do too, but 6k is a hell of a budget to work with :O
Old 05-20-14, 09:17 PM
metaleckz
Racer

I would try to buy used as much as possible to save money except coilovers?
Old 05-20-14, 10:31 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you're near San Jose, I can help you out in person or give you recommendations on where to get your tints, paint job, coilover install, fender roll or exhaust install. If you already have an invidia, I would pair that up with either a Tanabe or Greddy SP/SE Axleback. As for coilovers, I just got new BC Racing coilovers installed 3 days ago so you can check out my build thread if anything. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 05-20-14, 10:34 PM
user 692802
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Trying to mod my stock is350 also, difference is im going with mostly used if not all used parts and keeping stock rims , i really dont see anything wrong with used as long as you know what you're getting quality wise, kinda like your new girlfriend who was somebody's else's old girlfriend 😁
Old 05-20-14, 10:43 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When I fist started modding, I needed to see if I wanted to make it more of a performance enhancement or just for show, or maybe even a little of both. For instance, I wouldn't rock some heavy wheels and skinny tires if I wanted to go to the track. Because you're in CA, truthfully for this time, I'd get tint as the first "mod." It can definitely save your skin from some unnecessary burning for these next few months.

Then, it's pretty much up to you and your vision for what you want to achieve with your ride. Coilovers are great to be able to adjust, while springs give a great lowered look. Wheels are generally going to make your car better, and I see you were really taking a liking to the VS-XX. Lip kits and body kits will come into play when you figure out how low or high you'll be riding. Keep in mind, paint may or may not be cheap, and to constantly scrape and having to repaint a certain part can get tiresome over the long haul. Performance wise, you have some great options. Intakes, exhaust, headers, even the ability to supercharge or turbo if you wanted.

Something that a few have mentioned and most likely gets overlooked first is LED lighting. It changes the look of the car so much. And it's really inexpensive. It adds clarity inside and out of your car, and gives it a refreshed, newer look.

Best of luck, and definitely check out the build threads here for inspiration. There are some really great unique rides showcased on the forums, and many members are always there for support and help. And most importantly, just have fun with it!

Quick Reply: New at modding