IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

real carbon fiber trim and grill wrap build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 10:46 AM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real carbon fiber trim and grill wrap build thread

What's up cl... I have had some experience in the past wrapping parts on my 954rr in real cf not that fake vinyl crap everyone uses... So I just pick up a 13 is250 awd and I've decided after looking at prices and other vinyl trim kits and front grills that I'm just going to jump in and do this myself... My only concern is adding the cf cloth and resin to these parts that it'll throw off the alignment of the cup holder and those type parts. Obviously the vinyl wrap is paper thin and real cf cloth is not. I'll start adding pics as I go to show how I do each step... This weekend is the perfect time for me to do this as I'm currently laid up after back surgery... Hope this will add an extra option to those who don't want the same old fake cf vinyl on the trim or grill. Lmk what u think guys... Layta
Old 05-09-14, 10:54 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man, i started doing this on the IS and completed the door inserts. Didn't make much process afterwards as it was just too tedious and I didn't have enough spare time after work to do it. Some pics below... best of luck and keep us posted!

real carbon fiber trim and grill wrap build thread-5hvt0gt.jpg

Also, some people here instead of the thin 3m vinyl have a glossly thick cf overlay that is pretty good quality and goes up to the edges
Old 05-09-14, 11:25 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Real carbon is the way to go. My new set of interior trim pieces from Sewell arrive today for me to start doing the same thing. (I didnt want to cover up my dark wood grain panels, so i ordered the piano black ones from Sewell to carbon skin).

There are also many threads and DIY here of someone who did this, FYI.
Old 05-09-14, 12:22 PM
daileycon
Lead Lap

I've never got anything hydro dipped but there is a shop right next to my work that does it. I've wanted to give it a try. Could you take all your trim off and have them dipped in carbon fiber?
Old 05-09-14, 12:27 PM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

Hey nice work pmanliu...keep at it it looks good. Heyarms can you post a link to the thread your talking about I can't find it. My biggest issue right now is which cf cloth to use... I have 3 different types laying around already... Regular 2x2 twill.. Hexagon carbon Kevlar and red and black 2x2 carbo Kevlar... What do you guys think? I think Ive ruled out the red and black cf BC its not the color combo I wanna go w on my nebula gray... Right now the trim is the black wood so as I try n figure this out I'm gonna start working on the grill...
Old 05-09-14, 12:33 PM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

Daileycon you can do that for sure but once again but its probably pretty pricey to do... And its not real cf it's just dipped... At that point why spend that much on fake cf? I'd just go w the vinyl I've hydro dip. That's just me... I'll take the time and effort n wrap it in real cf... The end result will def look amazing...
Old 05-09-14, 12:38 PM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

Heyarms how much did all the replacement panels cost u that your gonna skin? I like my back wood too and I don't really wanna wrap them... I was thinking of going over to one of the 1000s of junkyards in Philly and finding a salvaged is to grab the panels out of to wrap them ...
Old 05-09-14, 01:57 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLexus13
Heyarms how much did all the replacement panels cost u that your gonna skin? I like my back wood too and I don't really wanna wrap them... I was thinking of going over to one of the 1000s of junkyards in Philly and finding a salvaged is to grab the panels out of to wrap them ...
you can get trim on ebay used for $200ish. There was a lot of postings a few months ago when I was contemplating it.
Old 05-10-14, 09:43 AM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

Hey thanks man I'll def check it out.. As for the build I have the front grill out and I'm sitting here looking at it and the 2 different choices of cf trying to decide between hex or 2x2... Lol this may take awhile...
Old 05-12-14, 08:20 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by daileycon
I've never got anything hydro dipped but there is a shop right next to my work that does it. I've wanted to give it a try. Could you take all your trim off and have them dipped in carbon fiber?
Do you have any examples of hydrodip carbon? I never remember seeing a hydrodip carbon that doesn't look horrible. But then again, I can barely tolerate vinyl CF, so YMMV.
Old 05-12-14, 09:20 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Do you have any examples of hydrodip carbon? I never remember seeing a hydrodip carbon that doesn't look horrible. But then again, I can barely tolerate vinyl CF, so YMMV.
You can see a bunch of pictures here of the look and what you can use it for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydro+dip+carbon+fiber

I'm not a fan of the vinyl either. I'm dying to get something dipped just to see. Maybe I should do my vents or something.

What does YMMV mean?
Old 05-12-14, 11:16 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

^ Your Mileage May Vary
Old 05-18-14, 11:34 AM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

I was thinking of dipping the engine covers but then again why spend the money when I have the cf cloth already... I'll prob tackle that job when I'm done with the grill and the trim
Old 05-19-14, 07:03 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

I don't think the main engine cover is going to be a good candiate for wrapping. It is made of some pretty flexible plastic, and of course it goes through some temperature extremes due to location. I'm guessing any wrap would last less than a year before peeling off. The side/front engine covers seem a bit better, but I don't think they would last either. Besides, all of those parts are avialable in CF from various sources.

Just my observation.
Old 05-30-14, 07:08 PM
NJLexus13
Pole Position

Hey guys sorry for this build and updates going so slow but I've been playing goalie in a local adult hockey league and I wound up tearing my acl... I know this should prob give me more time to work on the car BC I'm layed up now but this just hasn't been the case. I bought another grill surround that I'm 50% finished wrapping still have to sand and finish and then I'll be onto the trim pieces once I find some old beat up cheap ones for sale... I'll keep everyone posted on progress. Thanks

Quick Reply: real carbon fiber trim and grill wrap build thread