IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I buy an IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 01:03 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Knock on wood I haven't had any problems.....I've only had mine for 7 months....and it has 54k miles on it (bought it with 43k)
Old 05-07-14, 02:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never driven an IS with an MT, but if that was my number one priority, I'd lean towards something German. I do believe the TSX has a pretty good MT, again, if that's what's most important.

As for snow driving, as posted above, the TSX is FWD, but the tires make a huge difference as to whether any car is good in the snow or not.
Old 05-07-14, 02:37 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i know you said that your next car will be 100% a manual. go test drive a 350 first and see if that 100% stays 100%

while manuals are fun and engaging, for me that feeling goes out the window real quick when there isnt sufficient hp to go along with it.
Old 05-07-14, 04:23 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dtl
My mind is set on a manual, not too worried that it has less power than a 350.

kumquatism, SubieChik and Sffd103, did any of you experience the carbon build up issue and needed to have the pistons and rings changed out?
No carbon build-up issues to note. Had a couple CEL that I thought was it, but dealership said otherwise.
Old 05-07-14, 05:33 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so glad I don't have manual or a 250...

I was about to buy a 250...thank god I went with the 350!
Old 05-12-14, 07:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The IS250 is a great car. The manual transmission, however, is a dog. I've driven manuals all my life and compared the manual and auto when I bought my IS250. Clunky doesn't even begin to describe it - please, nobody compare this to a Honda (Acura) M/T. I never found the IS 250 underpowered. Yes, you can buy more powerful cars but that's not the issue. Check out the paddle shifters on the IS250 - they aren't real paddle shifter (SMG) but you'll have fun with them and can pretend you're driving an M/T.
Old 05-12-14, 08:52 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Fsport quickshifter is a must have. There are days where I wish I got a 350 instead of my 250mt.
Old 05-12-14, 09:06 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dtl
My mind is set on a manual, not too worried that it has less power than a 350.

kumquatism, SubieChik and Sffd103, did any of you experience the carbon build up issue and needed to have the pistons and rings changed out?
Lexus covers the carbon build up issue for 9 years with unlimited miles, so it's not too much to worry about unless you're getting an old car or plan to drive it forever (BMW and Audi also have this problem, and they're not covering it).
Old 05-13-14, 09:49 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Lexus covers the carbon build up issue for 9 years with unlimited miles, so it's not too much to worry about unless you're getting an old car or plan to drive it forever (BMW and Audi also have this problem, and they're not covering it).
They do? I know the aluminum V8s in the 5 series had a similar problem in the mid 1990s but hadn't heard anything since.
Old 05-14-14, 06:17 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe not as bad? I'm not sure that or I just don't go to BMW forums; you can google about it. My brother's BMW recently got a top engine clean on it because it was running rough. He said they clean out some stuff, and the car is running smooth again.
Old 05-15-14, 07:14 PM
is250Gwong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
I say drive an IS350 before you trully make you mind up. I use to own a 250 6MT and I would probably still have it had it not been totalled. However I don't miss it one bit now that I own an IS350.
I second this. I only regret that I have about my IS250 after driving 20-22 thousand miles per year is that I wish it had more push. Other than that it is a perfect daily.
Old 09-02-14, 03:40 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Well, I know it's been over three months since I posted about this but I did buy a Lexus! I drove 12 hours just to pick her up, since it was the only manual one I was interested in. The car had been sitting outside for months and was in a lot worse condition than I had hoped she would be. I got a little frustrated because I drove so far to check out a car and I was expecting more. But in the end, she was mechanically in good condition and I got a great deal! Once all the paperwork was signed, the whole ride home was surreal to think the car that I'm currently driving is actually mine. I always wanted a Lexus.

As soon as I got home, I took her to a Lexus dealership to have a few recalls done on her. Something along the lines of windshield washer nut and emergency trunk lever. I got a call from the dealership and the service rep told me that when one of the techs was driving it and they noticed the clutch seemed really worn out. To be honest, this was my first manual car, so I wasn't sure what was good and what wasn't. I had driven manual cars before but I didn't think at such low mileage I needed a new clutch. But to my surprise the clutch would be replaced under warranty, which I was really thrilled about. He also mentioned that the gear shift fork was loose and an updated part was released so they would do that too under warranty. I asked if I can come by and see the car just so I can get a feel for whats going on and he said it was no problem.

When I arrive, the transmission is out of the car and the exhaust (they needed to take it out to get more access). I asked if they would be replacing the transmission fluid and he told me that I would be getting an entirely new transmission! I was kind of thrilled by this, and was shocked at how great the Lexus service was. When I was there I asked if they had any IS250's with carbon build up issue, he pointed to another service bay where a red mica 250 was sitting and mentioned they get them a lot. Kind of a bummer, but at least I have a nine year warranty for that. The car would need to be in the shop all weekend, but I got to drive a 2014 Lexus RX350 as a loaner (really nice too by the way).

When I finally got her back, it was actually kind of hard to notice a difference in the clutch. I made sure to ask if they were giving me a new transmission or a refurbished one, and he said it would be brand new and had to be shipped in out of state. I even asked if they could lift the car when I came to pick it up to look at the transmission and sure enough it was nice and shiny.

Since then I have done several things, mostly maintenance:
    • Brake bleed
    • Spark Plugs
    • Coolant Flush (finding the bolts on the engine block was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in a car)(Coolant had to be replaced because previous owner mixed the original stuff with some regular green coolant as he had the water pump replaced)
    • Oil change (went full synthetic)
    • Platidip rims
    • Steering Dampener (Makes a nice, subtle difference. Quick and cheap install so it was worth it)
    • Last but not least, I put in the F-Sport Quick Shifter. (This has made an amazing difference and I would highly recommend putting one in if you have a manual).

I'm so glad I ended up buying this car! The service and quality that I've experience so far can't compete with anything else!

Last edited by dtl; 09-02-14 at 03:49 PM.
    Old 09-02-14, 04:14 PM
    joshua28
    Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dtl
    Well, I know it's been over three months since I posted about this but I did buy a Lexus! I drove 12 hours just to pick her up, since it was the only manual one I was interested in. The car had been sitting outside for months and was in a lot worse condition than I had hoped she would be. I got a little frustrated because I drove so far to check out a car and I was expecting more. But in the end, she was mechanically in good condition and I got a great deal! Once all the paperwork was signed, the whole ride home was surreal to think the car that I'm currently driving is actually mine. I always wanted a Lexus.

As soon as I got home, I took her to a Lexus dealership to have a few recalls done on her. Something along the lines of windshield washer nut and emergency trunk lever. I got a call from the dealership and the service rep told me that when one of the techs was driving it and they noticed the clutch seemed really worn out. To be honest, this was my first manual car, so I wasn't sure what was good and what wasn't. I had driven manual cars before but I didn't think at such low mileage I needed a new clutch. But to my surprise the clutch would be replaced under warranty, which I was really thrilled about. He also mentioned that the gear shift fork was loose and an updated part was released so they would do that too under warranty. I asked if I can come by and see the car just so I can get a feel for whats going on and he said it was no problem.

When I arrive, the transmission is out of the car and the exhaust (they needed to take it out to get more access). I asked if they would be replacing the transmission fluid and he told me that I would be getting an entirely new transmission! I was kind of thrilled by this, and was shocked at how great the Lexus service was. When I was there I asked if they had any IS250's with carbon build up issue, he pointed to another service bay where a red mica 250 was sitting and mentioned they get them a lot. Kind of a bummer, but at least I have a nine year warranty for that. The car would need to be in the shop all weekend, but I got to drive a 2014 Lexus RX350 as a loaner (really nice too by the way).

When I finally got her back, it was actually kind of hard to notice a difference in the clutch. I made sure to ask if they were giving me a new transmission or a refurbished one, and he said it would be brand new and had to be shipped in out of state. I even asked if they could lift the car when I came to pick it up to look at the transmission and sure enough it was nice and shiny.

Since then I have done several things, mostly maintenance:
      • Brake bleed
      • Spark Plugs
      • Coolant Flush (finding the bolts on the engine block was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in a car)(Coolant had to be replaced because previous owner mixed the original stuff with some regular green coolant as he had the water pump replaced)
      • Oil change (went full synthetic)
      • Platidip rims
      • Steering Dampener (Makes a nice, subtle difference. Quick and cheap install so it was worth it)
      • Last but not least, I put in the F-Sport Quick Shifter. (This has made an amazing difference and I would highly recommend putting one in if you have a manual).

I'm so glad I ended up buying this car! The service and quality that I've experience so far can't compete with anything else!

congrats dude! enjoy let the mods begin hehe
      Old 09-02-14, 11:11 PM
      liqB
      Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your buy. Make sure to get the short shifter, its totally worth it. I too made a 9+ hour trip to pickup my IS250MT, I'd say overall it was worth it.
      Old 09-03-14, 05:20 AM
      MikeFoxx
      Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well this sounds like it really worked out for you... congrats!

Quick Reply: Should I buy an IS250?