IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Specific question about paint sprayers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 02:06 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specific question about paint sprayers

So I had a quick question about using a professional paint sprayer to DIY spray my own front lip replica piece. My buddy has an "HPLV" (hi pressure low volume) paint sprayer that he uses for commercial painting, and I was wondering if I could use that style of paint sprayer to paint my own front lip, and trunk and roof spoiler?? Or will I need a HVLP gun?

here is the link to the sprayer I have access to:
http://www.titantool.com/product/mul...-air-assisted/

if so, then where would I go about getting the correct factory match paint/activator to put into the Sprayer? Also, what else would I need? Basically, can someone walk me through the process??

thank you!

Last edited by Downtuned; 05-05-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 04:11 PM
leadfoot83
Driver

Originally Posted by Downtuned
So I had a quick question about using a professional paint sprayer to DIY spray my own front lip replica piece. My buddy has an "HPLV" (hi pressure low volume) paint sprayer that he uses for commercial painting, and I was wondering if I could use that style of paint sprayer to paint my own front lip, and trunk and roof spoiler?? Or will I need a HVLP gun?

if so, then where would I go about getting the correct factory match paint/activator to put into the Sprayer? Also, what else would I need? Basically, can someone walk me through the process??

thank you!
you could use either type of gun but its going to come down to your air compressor setup for your home application you will probably be better with an hvlp gun since your compressor may not be able to support high pressure for long durations of use. assuming you have less than a 30gal tank with a low amount of cfm. As far as paint and supplies your local paint shop/store should be able to get you what you need they will just need your paint color code.
Old 04-30-14, 04:13 PM
leadfoot83
Driver

Also your going to want to creat a clean area to paint. Some make booths out of plastic and pvc pipe both that can be purchased at lowes,homedepot etc.
Old 04-30-14, 04:27 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got paint for my BMW from this place. The color matched perfect; especially it was Black with Metatic flakes.
check them out!
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/lexus/
Old 04-30-14, 04:35 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

thank you! so my buddy stated that his hvlp gun is uses a pump, and not a compressor, and sprays out at no lower than 500 psi. Does that sound correct? I would think a hvlp is low pressure? 500 psi sounds like a ton.
Old 04-30-14, 05:23 PM
leadfoot83
Driver

Yea that's not right man with an hvlp the optimum psi is about 25-30psi.
Old 04-30-14, 05:26 PM
leadfoot83
Driver

Also not sure what he ment by pump maybe pressure pot? Either way 500psi would be insane lol
Old 04-30-14, 05:48 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You never mentioned what kind of air compressor you plan to use with this sprayer. Along with the compressor, you'll want at least one water/air separator.
Old 05-05-14, 06:16 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leadfoot83
Also not sure what he ment by pump maybe pressure pot? Either way 500psi would be insane lol
thats what I was thinking. Ill take a look at it here in a few days.
Old 05-05-14, 06:17 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
You never mentioned what kind of air compressor you plan to use with this sprayer. Along with the compressor, you'll want at least one water/air separator.
here is the link to the actual sprayer setup. my buddy said its airless, but requires a pump. not sure what that means.

http://www.titantool.com/product/mul...-air-assisted/

Last edited by Downtuned; 05-05-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 08:16 PM
leadfoot83
Driver

Yea that's for painting houses and stuff not so much auto body or what your looking to do you need a compressor that has a high cfm, moister seperator and hvlp gun. It's a lot less complicated than you think I paint for a living and paint often at home. And my home setup is very very basic.
Old 05-05-14, 08:50 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leadfoot83
Yea that's for painting houses and stuff not so much auto body or what your looking to do you need a compressor that has a high cfm, moister seperator and hvlp gun. It's a lot less complicated than you think I paint for a living and paint often at home. And my home setup is very very basic.
ok. I believe he has a hvlp gun to go with it, but is the "moisture separator" the big thing that I am missing here with this set up? In other words, you are saying it wouldn't be possible with the 440?
Old 05-05-14, 08:57 PM
leadfoot83
Driver

Originally Posted by Downtuned
ok. I believe he has a hvlp gun to go with it, but is the "moisture separator" the big thing that I am missing here with this set up? In other words, you are saying it wouldn't be possible with the 440?
With an air compressor yes you will need one and that airless pump could do it but that's gonna make more of a mess and your trying to do something small correct? that's for painting larg areas like houses fences buildings etc. not cars and body parts
Old 05-06-14, 06:02 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

gotcha, thank you! Appreciate the help everyone.
Old 05-06-14, 06:29 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just an FYI, harbor freight carries a lot of these items for great prices. However I would suggest you test your equipment on a scrap peice of metal prior to trying it on your actual parts.

Quick Reply: Specific question about paint sprayers