IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Specific question about paint sprayers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 11:29 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

^ And a HF gun is surprisingly good if you only plan on using it periodically. This $47.99 kit will work quite well, and you will spend more than that on good paint.

As far as a moisture separator mentioned by leadfoot83: Air has moisture in it (humidity) as you compress the air and then send it through a hose the water condenses out of the air and then you are spraying water out of your spray gun. This will ruin your paint (and day!) every time! At the bare minimum you need a filter (also available from HF for a reasonable price), the closer to the paint gun the better. My setup at home has 20 feet of copper tubing with a valve at the bottom to let water out (water condenses out of the air pretty good in a metal pipe which gets cold as the air runs through it), a filter after the copper tubing, and when I use a paint gun I use a small filter at the gun as well.

Also keep in mind the humidity is quite low in my neck of the woods, and after an hour or so of using the compressor I can easily get a couple of ounces of water out of my copper. People who run shops in high humidity areas are known to use 100+ feet of piping and/or very expensive water filtering setups to get more water out of the air before it gets to the paint gun.

One more note, learning to paint yourself is an adventure, but it is not going to save you any money. Everyone has heard that the work is in the prep, and that is true, but there is a-lot of work (and expertise) required after the paint as well. Color sanding and polishing to get a great finish is another adventure by itself.
Old 05-06-14, 02:13 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. do you think me getting the paint/activator and using a place such as harbor freight and DIY will be with the money saved?
Old 05-06-14, 03:58 PM
leadfoot83
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtuned
ok. do you think me getting the paint/activator and using a place such as harbor freight and DIY will be with the money saved?
I have a few hf guns that I've used I've actually sprayed the front bumper of my is350 with it and had great results but being that you haven't played with painting of this form before you will probably waste more money trying to learn. But it could save you money down the road painting is something that comes with experice and you can only get that by trying it.