IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Recall....do i have a claim or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 10:45 AM
Gerod77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recall....do i have a claim or not

Ok here's the deal..................I have a 2006 IS350 and about 2 years ago while driving to work my engine shut down and locked up. I had it towed to the dealer and they told me that my CAM GEAR came loose and took a **** and that caused some kind of domino effect destroyed a bunch of stuff in my engine. My warranty had already expired so I had to pay for repairs out of pocket and it was about $5000 when it was all done. Ok here is my question........................Do you guys think my car broke due to the problem with the recall of the VVT system assembly RECALL issue RECALL # 13V395000 and if so, can I somehow make some kind of claim to get my money back. ALL AND ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Old 04-28-14, 11:05 AM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerod77
My warranty had already expired
Old 04-28-14, 11:14 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerod77
Ok here's the deal..................I have a 2006 IS350 and about 2 years ago while driving to work my engine shut down and locked up. I had it towed to the dealer and they told me that my CAM GEAR came loose and took a **** and that caused some kind of domino effect destroyed a bunch of stuff in my engine. My warranty had already expired so I had to pay for repairs out of pocket and it was about $5000 when it was all done. Ok here is my question........................Do you guys think my car broke due to the problem with the recall of the VVT system assembly RECALL issue RECALL # 13V395000 and if so, can I somehow make some kind of claim to get my money back. ALL AND ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Call Lexus' corp and tell them what happen.
Old 04-28-14, 11:14 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

You will need to speak with Lexus about it, but yes if you paid for repairs that are later covered by a recall you can usually get reimbursement.

Jeff
Old 04-28-14, 11:15 AM
Gerod77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ....I'll call Lexus and see what they tell me
Old 04-28-14, 11:44 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Wow, and that's the reason why the recall was issued in the first place. You're the first I've read about on here that the cam issue actually happened to. Sorry to hear about it, but hopefully Lexus Corp can reimburse you for the out-of-pocket expenses incurred on a known recall item.

GL!
Old 04-28-14, 12:21 PM
Gerod77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Gville................I'll keep you guys informed on what they tell me
Old 04-28-14, 07:33 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

If I recall correctly, there was a guy posted on here about a year ago about the car engine stopping while driving that resulted in engine damage. About a month after his post, Lexus issued the recall. He already paid the dealer to get it repaired, so he tried to get reimbursement, but I don't remember how it turned out.
Old 04-29-14, 05:30 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Now the recall does it correct the issue properly or does it just replace some items with the same exact items with no modifications?
Old 04-29-14, 09:46 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

The recall is to replace the parts with updated ones. They wouldn't do a recall and put the same parts in, that wouldn't fix anything.

Jeff
Old 04-29-14, 09:54 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The recall is to replace the parts with updated ones. They wouldn't do a recall and put the same parts in, that wouldn't fix anything.

Jeff
I wouldn't be surprised if they did considering the cold start rattle recall that I don't recall the name of exactly returned in my car a year later.

The dealership told me to call corporate to cover half of the expense of fixing it at least. I never bothered
Old 04-29-14, 12:10 PM
Gville350

^So did you pay out-of-pocket for that fix or did the recall take care of it? I've read of a few members having had PAID for the fix (all before the recall was issued) and had the same issue come about again. I guess you're in that boat. So when you returned to Lexus to have the SAME issue fixed under the recall, Lexus said that you would have to pay half of the fix?
Old 04-29-14, 01:54 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
^So did you pay out-of-pocket for that fix or did the recall take care of it? I've read of a few members having had PAID for the fix (all before the recall was issued) and had the same issue come about again. I guess you're in that boat. So when you returned to Lexus to have the SAME issue fixed under the recall, Lexus said that you would have to pay half of the fix?
I never got it redone after that and just lived with the sound at startup. I rarely hear it now that the weather is warmer too!

I was really annoyed with them about this but I guess replacing my water pump at 95k miles for free makes up for it a bit.
Old 04-29-14, 06:09 PM
Gville350

^Yeah, I guess. LOL! Before the recall, I had the cam rattle happen to me <10 times since owning the car. It only happened after sitting in the hot summer sun for 9hrs. Basically others and myself came to the conclusion it was due to lack of lubrication; so those running dino oil probably experienced it more often than those (like me) than ran full syn.
Old 04-29-14, 08:09 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I considered going fully synthetic again but not to savvy about the benefits?

Quick Reply: Recall....do i have a claim or not