IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Specific Questions regarding 2IS FOG LED vs HID

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 12:02 AM
Jerrizo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specific Questions regarding 2IS FOG LED vs HID

Hi, I'm New to CL and I've been reading through all the Lighting threads and search through everything, and finally have an understanding of the possible options and how it works. (Thank you all CL members!) The only concern I have now is regarding the Fog lights.

I want the yellow look so either 3K HID or Yellow halogen bulb. However I am concern on some things. Lighting output is semi-important as there is some fog where I live, hence I figured Yellow is ideal. Another is that I read some people have their harness melt even if using a 55w halogen bulb? Would a 2500/3000k Yellow halogen bulb be an upgrade in terms of light output/fog functionality compared to the stock fog? I am looking for a nice pure yellow, so I will be using the yellow overlay. (The other concern I have is I still need to use Highbeams (not rapidly) for driving at night where there are no street lights, and also the installation of mounting the HID ballasts).

Are there anyone who can post pics of 3K and Yellow halogen bulb light outputs so I can kinda see the difference?

I have a black 2is and below are what I'm looking to mod: (Also pls lmk what you all think!)
Lows - Xenondepot 5K
Parking - Vled (other brands? 5/6K)

Thx, if there is a thread for these exact questions, I apologize. Otherwise, I look forward to learning more from you all!
Old 04-15-14, 08:37 AM
Jaytea
Driver

If you're gunna be using your HB at night, look at a Nokya hyper yellow bulb in your high beams/DRL. If you use an LED for DRL, you also lose your HB capabilities.
Nokya 9006 hyper yellow Nokya 9006 hyper yellow

Realistically a 35w HID kit in your fogs are more than enough for super yellow with overlay, which is what I'm running. It's going to be way more effective than halogen definitely. Try it without overlay and you'll see how yellow they are. With overlay they look super JDM. Hope it helps.

Edit: it will not melt your harness...also if optional run a relay through to the Fog HIDs
Old 04-15-14, 09:57 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Jaytea

Additionally, don't go with halogen bulbs, they are way dimmer than HID kit. I have read tons and tons of reviews for days. Most of them burn out quickly or have quality issue. The only decent one is PIAA but it cost about the same like decent HID kit.

3000k HID kit + yellow overlay will give you the best output in term of brightness and yellowness. This also last a long time assuming you get a decent HID like the Volt Kit from Xenon Depot. Also, with HID, it is very bright that it is actually functional and create better vision in foggy or even rain situations.
Old 04-15-14, 11:04 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're installing HIDs into your halogen housings, please remember to aim your fogs lower. The halogen housing is meant to increase the light output of a halogen bulb, so throwing an HID bulb in there will make the output much brighter, and can cause safety issues for oncoming traffic. Of course, lowering the beam pattern of the fogs reduces the driver's visibility, so its more of a cosmetic upgrade than anything else.

Ideally, you would retrofit projectors into the fog light housings, but that can get expensive.
Old 04-15-14, 03:16 PM
Jerrizo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
If you're installing HIDs into your halogen housings, please remember to aim your fogs lower. The halogen housing is meant to increase the light output of a halogen bulb, so throwing an HID bulb in there will make the output much brighter, and can cause safety issues for oncoming traffic. Of course, lowering the beam pattern of the fogs reduces the driver's visibility, so its more of a cosmetic upgrade than anything else.
Thank you guys for the input and replies. Looks like I will go with 3K Volt from XD and 5K Xtreme on my Lows. What you guys think?

sm1ke, whats the proper way of adjusting this? I definitely don't wanna be blinding people, but I do want to have better visibility without completely retrofitting the fog. Also, where would be a ideal place to mount the ballast for the fog? I've searched for DIY, but nothing specific on where to mount.
Old 04-15-14, 03:18 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sm1ke

Ideally, you would retrofit projectors into the fog light housings, but that can get expensive.
+1

As for your fogs i would personally go with the hids as they will last a lot longer and perform much better. The nokya bulbs are for aesthetics, where if fog lights are a concern then go with the hids. As the others have said the hid 3500K bulbs are less yellow since the lights are more intense than halogens but the light output on the ground will be amazing. I would auggest that for the fogs you may want to aim them a bit higher so that you can see more of the yellow over your hood while driving. Just dont adjust too high since They are brighter.

Adding the yellow overlay will get you that jdm nokya bulb look while still providing an intense light output. So goodluck and cheers!
Old 04-16-14, 05:54 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by Jerrizo
Thank you guys for the input and replies. Looks like I will go with 3K Volt from XD and 5K Xtreme on my Lows. What you guys think?

sm1ke, whats the proper way of adjusting this? I definitely don't wanna be blinding people, but I do want to have better visibility without completely retrofitting the fog. Also, where would be a ideal place to mount the ballast for the fog? I've searched for DIY, but nothing specific on where to mount.
Those should look good, I've heard nothing but good things about the XenonDepot kits and the customer service.

I'm not actually sure how to adjust the fogs, but I think you may have to either remove the cover beside the fog or take off the bumper.. I'm really not sure, sorry!
Old 04-16-14, 07:53 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Install it the way everyone does. Our fog sits pretty low so even though it is bright, it does not really blind oncoming traffic.

If they really blind oncoming traffic, the IS with fog HID will already be receiving ticket from the cops in Southern CA here. The law here is stupidly strict, I see cops pulling cars with tinted windows in front (even if it is just 35%) (law is no tint in front here) and cell phone ticket etc lol
Old 04-16-14, 07:58 AM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using 9005 3000k halogen bulbs in your fogs is another option. Just have to modify the bulbs so they fit the harness but the output is a bit brighter than a 9006 bulb. It's another alternative if you don't want to install a hid kit.
Old 04-16-14, 08:03 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Install it the way everyone does. Our fog sits pretty low so even though it is bright, it does not really blind oncoming traffic.

If they really blind oncoming traffic, the IS with fog HID will already be receiving ticket from the cops in Southern CA here. The law here is stupidly strict, I see cops pulling cars with tinted windows in front (even if it is just 35%) (law is no tint in front here) and cell phone ticket etc lol
Even if they do sit low, they can still potentially blind (well, maybe not blind.. more like cause squinting lol) oncoming traffic.You're right, the chances of cops pulling you over for something like that is low, but the risk is still there. Again, I don't know if you can raise or lower the beam pattern of the fogs, but if you can, its better to minimize the risk.
Old 11-24-16, 04:33 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default updates?

I had 3000k hid fogs that just burned out after 5 years. I'm looking to replace with led technology but not sure if the output has caught up with hids. Anyone have input on where led technology is at now?

Not a great pic but thats how my 3000k hid fogs with yellow overlays looked.
Old 12-12-16, 06:23 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Bump.....10 **** char
Old 12-16-16, 11:26 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Bump. I'm about to buy a fog light kit tomorrow, either HID or LED, any suggestions as to which technology is better?
Old 12-17-16, 06:46 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

i thought Fog light cannot be adjusted ? also fog light designed lowered already ? those SUV and pickup with HID headlight, they are way blinds oncoming traffic
Old 12-18-16, 11:49 AM
Spricky
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Bump. I'm about to buy a fog light kit tomorrow, either HID or LED, any suggestions as to which technology is better?
I did LED for my headlights and HID for my Foglights

This is the Before Picture.. I had only changed Driver side Headlights.
This is After.. HID Fog Lights are 6000k.. Its the Camera that makes it look that color
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Spricky; 12-18-16 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Specific Questions regarding 2IS FOG LED vs HID