IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! HID / lamp replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 06:57 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^honestly, I don't know? What I do know is when I bought mines, both were completely leveled. My wifes rx330 is completely leveled as well.
Old 04-14-14, 08:05 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by babaliont
But some of the other threads mention that the left beam *is* supposed to be lower than the right to protect oncoming traffic. So is it supposed to be lower or completely at the same level as the right beam?
You should be able to see two distinct "steps" in the cutoff line, like this:

However, in your pics the colour seems to be different altogether, regardless of how high or low the beam is aimed. What these guys are talking about is the way the bulb is installed.

For our OEM D4S bulbs, that wire (blue) needs to be facing the right direction when the bulb is installed, which should be towards the back of the car if I'm not mistaken. If its facing any other direction, it can cause that colour difference.
Old 04-15-14, 05:46 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Thanks smk1e for posting the picture. I think that my pattern also has the same 'step'. I'll check again tonight to make sure and post a picture.

I spoke to the dealer again and he stated that the left beam is lower that the right to prevent blinding on-coming traffic. He again recommends replacing the 'right' bulb which is weird because that one is brighter and bluer than the left one!

Now, as far as the direction of the bulb, is this something that I can check from looking at the headlight from the outside? I'm not sure what 'facing the back of the car' would mean if I'm looking straight ahead at the bulb.
Old 04-15-14, 06:42 PM
babaliont
Rookie

This is what my beam pattern looks like. Does anyone see anything odd about the pattern?
Attached Thumbnails HELP! HID / lamp replacement issues-img_1356.jpg  
Old 04-15-14, 07:19 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what my beam pattern looks like. Does anyone see anything odd about the pattern?
Looks pretty even to me. I have my right side just a little bit higher.
Old 04-16-14, 05:47 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by Serifiyah
Looks pretty even to me. I have my right side just a little bit higher.
Same with me. I'm honestly not sure what's going on at this point.

Regardless, if you want to get the bulbs matching again, your best bet is probably going to be buying a new pair and installing them yourself. Since you prefer the whiter bulb, opt for 5000k or if you want a hint of blue, go for 6000k.
Old 04-16-14, 07:39 AM
babaliont
Rookie

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Same with me. I'm honestly not sure what's going on at this point.

Regardless, if you want to get the bulbs matching again, your best bet is probably going to be buying a new pair and installing them yourself. Since you prefer the whiter bulb, opt for 5000k or if you want a hint of blue, go for 6000k.
So I took it to a buddy mechanic of mine this morning and he told me exactly what the dealership told me: the right bulb was on its way out. When HID bulbs are going out, they turn *blue* and appear brighter. New bulbs are a more amber color. It's likely that the dealership gave me a new bulb when they replaced the headlight assembly.

So, at least I'm happy that the dealership tech knew that he was talking about and wasn't trying to rip me off. My buddy can replace the bulb with an OEM bulb for $150 though as opposed to $288 at the dealership so I think I'm going to have him do it.
Old 04-16-14, 07:42 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

That looks about right. Your passenger is a little more blueish color the the driver's side. Like what sm1ke mentioned, change both bulbs to get them back in the right color you want.
Old 04-16-14, 10:02 AM
Stefan350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I took it to a buddy mechanic of mine this morning and he told me exactly what the dealership told me: the right bulb was on its way out. When HID bulbs are going out, they turn *blue* and appear brighter. New bulbs are a more amber color. It's likely that the dealership gave me a new bulb when they replaced the headlight assembly.

So, at least I'm happy that the dealership tech knew that he was talking about and wasn't trying to rip me off. My buddy can replace the bulb with an OEM bulb for $150 though as opposed to $288 at the dealership so I think I'm going to have him do it.
You can get the stock philips 4300k a lot cheaper than $150. New bulbs take time to break in, so they will look more amber.
Old 05-08-14, 01:02 PM
babaliont
Rookie

In the end I decided to call Lexus corporate and they agreed to replace the passenger side HID bulb under good will. Way to go Lexus! I was truly impressed with the experience I had calling their number. The matter got resolved in days and I didn't have to go through any lengthy explanations. They had all my info when I called through the phone I had registered with them.

First they replaced the entire headlight assembly under goodwill and now the bulb. They were under no obligation to do so, as I was technically out of warranty.

I am amazed by Lexus customer service. This is my first Lexus, and now I am well and truly a Lexus customer for life.
Old 05-08-14, 01:50 PM
sm1ke
Racer