IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Coolant re-filling and change

Old 04-07-14, 04:32 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Coolant re-filling and change

I'm preparing for a coolant change. Is there any DIY out there? When re-filling, i've read that the radiator needs to be refilled. I am assuming this is where the radiator cap is? as in take off the radiator pressure cap and fill coolant. How high do I fill until? I assume I then have to seperately fill the expansion bottle? Just filling the overflow bottle will not automatically fill the radiator?

Also, that radiator filler neck, is that actually the radiator or is an extension to the radiator?
Old 04-07-14, 05:40 AM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
I'm preparing for a coolant change. Is there any DIY out there? When re-filling, i've read that the radiator needs to be refilled. I am assuming this is where the radiator cap is? as in take off the radiator pressure cap and fill coolant. How high do I fill until? I assume I then have to seperately fill the expansion bottle? Just filling the overflow bottle will not automatically fill the radiator?

Also, that radiator filler neck, is that actually the radiator or is an extension to the radiator?
Make sure the car is cool before you open the radiator cap.

Drain old coolant out. (into a container not a road or drain)

Tighten up drain petcock and start filling through the radiator cap. Fill the coolant all the way to the top of the neck.

Start the car, turn the heat all the way to hot but don't have the fan on. What i mean is turn the temp all the way up, then turn off the heater. This opens the heater core so coolant can circulate through it.

Let the car idle (for a few mins) until both radiator cans kick on. At this time, coolant will be sucked down into the radiator because the thermostat will have opened, fill up the radiator to the top again after the fans have kicked on then tighten the radiator cap back on.

Move to the expansion tank and fill it to the MAX or FULL mark.

spray off engine and radiator with water hose because at this point its everywhere. Now you're finished.
The following users liked this post:
aEO 37 (09-03-22)