IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! Fender Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 05:42 PM
Jaytea
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Fender Problems....

Riding on 20s, with the default offsets.

Tires are:
Front - 245/30/20
Rear - 275/30/20

Wheels are:
Front - 20×9
Rear - 20×10.5

The problem I'm having is that my car has been in a prior accident, and the back rear passenger fender (RH side) has significant damage and the fender itself sits almost half a finger lower than the left side of the car. I didn't think it was that big of a deal at the time but now it's a pain in the ***. This is causing my left side to basically clear the tire fully, giving me fully 2 fingers with a little gap, and the right side about 1.5 fingers (tight).

Here's the tricky part. I was thinking about rolling this fender instead of shaving because of the damage to tires i've seen, but because it's been in a prior accident - I feel as if there is definitely bondo there under the paint.

Going over small bumps it's alright - but the ones that aren't a problem on the driver side cause it to rub on this right side.

Should I:
A) Shave the fenders? (and say **** it - but there's structural damage prior)
B) Score the paint under the visible line, and roll and hope for the best?
C) Just roll and hopefully it wont crack the paint?

Either way - I believe I'm gunna have to bring it to a lexus certified body shop to repaint anyways. Does anyone know how much that will cost? (ballpark)

TL;DR - Prior accident, right rear fender a little lower than driver side. What should I do? Is it safe to roll?

Images attached.
HELP! Fender Problems....-e5n18t4l.jpg
HELP! Fender Problems....-eesiyu4l.jpg
HELP! Fender Problems....-jc2ft1el.jpg
HELP! Fender Problems....-sncq23bl.jpg

This picture you can see why it's a problem...
HELP! Fender Problems....-vjugyu0l.jpg
Old 04-03-14, 09:17 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, that's pretty bad looking in there. I would shave that, sand down any rough edges, and then shoot some primer really quick on it with a touch of paint too.
Old 04-03-14, 10:56 PM
Jaytea
Driver

Hmmmm... How far should I shave it down? Will it make this fender any weaker? Chances it will buckle and go wavy?

I'm gunna try calling Lexus today. When I bought the car - they said it was a preowned certified Lexus, so maybe this was overlooked cause I sure as hell didn't cause this. I may try to get them to cover some, or all of it. Either way I don't see the harm in trying. Will keep it updated.
Old 04-04-14, 06:41 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It may weaken a bit but it's already damaged. I know you want narrower tires like a 255/30/20 cause that costs money. I doubt they'll say yes. Did the wheels cme on the car or did you install them? They may say you may have caused the damage because the oversized wheel/tire combo. Good luck either way.
Old 04-05-14, 12:20 AM
LexusGuyyy
Rookie

Just as Sffd103 stated, the damage is already done, If you're taking the car to a body shop i'd recommend a custom quarter panel flare like some guys here on the forums, my car came with custom flares but sadly didn't do a good job so I am suffering at the moment, custom flares should eliminate the prior quarter panel damage and eventually evening the panels on both sides once completed and you can run wider wheels with confidence.
Old 04-05-14, 07:58 AM
Jaytea
Driver

If I shave the fenders, and I sand it properly with seal, will I run the risk of warping my rear quarter panel if the wheel gets mashed into it?
Old 04-05-14, 10:43 AM
static250
Driver

I would personally have that rolled flat. I am not a fan of shaving finders. The manufacture put those lips there for strength of the metal. If you roll it up you still have structure. Mine is rolled flat and slightly pulled and have just as much. Clearance if not more than guys who shave their fenders.
Old 04-08-14, 08:17 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
It may weaken a bit but it's already damaged. I know you want narrower tires like a 255/30/20 cause that costs money. I doubt they'll say yes. Did the wheels cme on the car or did you install them? They may say you may have caused the damage because the oversized wheel/tire combo. Good luck either way.
Car was a CPO. Came with stock 18s with a prior accident ... That's why I was thinking maybe the dealership overlooked this dmg. If I bring it back in, which I hopefully next week, I'm throwing my stocks on and going in,

Originally Posted by IS350inefx
I have the same set up, I shaved all four fenders, so far so good, knock on wood...
Any pics? Would like to see how much you shaved off.

If I rolled it flat and pulled it a little, I feel like I'm gunna have to repaint. Any have an idea how much it'll cost?
Old 04-10-14, 09:10 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350inefx
I was thinking about rolling it, but I didn't want to risk the paint to crack, so I decided to shave instead. My rear fender lips about 1/4 inch left and front about 3/8 inch left. No rubbing only on hard turn and go up on driveway.
Yea my suspension is stock, so I have no rubbing at all in the front. I think I'm gunna shave the rear fender this weekend...down to a little under 1/4 left. I feel that it's that double seam that's causing the rubbing