IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Track Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 05:00 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
No worries, I'm certainly open to other points of view. The events I've done are for driver education, they are not "races." The IS would not be an ideal race car platform, but it can be competitive against other daily driver cars. At my skill level, it is much more driver dependent than car dependent. There is a lot more performance that my car could give that I am not able to take advantage of.
Depending on the length and complexity of the course, the amount of available straightaway that you have between the exit and entry of each turn, etc., it can definitely alter the % ratio of driver skill and capabilities of the car on getting a good lap time. IMO, the IS350 (with a proper suspension set-up) and IS-F are very capable track cars much like the E46 and E90 M3s are. As others have stated though, consumables such as tires and brake pads will be more expensive than what you'd pay for with a car like a miata. I plan on keeping my IS350 for the long run so I personally feel that the investment I've put into it is well worth it in the grand scheme of things (track days, daily driver)
Old 04-09-14, 05:18 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree with you. I wanted to say this but don't know how to express it in words. You nail it right on!

I also see your mods and you seem to go straight to suspension for handling! I wish to see and test drive your car one day lol.

I personally don't like slammed cars that can't even drive up the driveway. I want to see our community getting more involved in suspension, handling and tracking.

Originally Posted by redspencer
Depending on the length and complexity of the course, the amount of available straightaway that you have between the exit and entry of each turn, etc., it can definitely alter the % ratio of driver skill and capabilities of the car on getting a good lap time. IMO, the IS350 (with a proper suspension set-up) and IS-F are very capable track cars much like the E46 and E90 M3s are. As others have stated though, consumables such as tires and brake pads will be more expensive than what you'd pay for with a car like a miata. I plan on keeping my IS350 for the long run so I personally feel that the investment I've put into it is well worth it in the grand scheme of things (track days, daily driver)
Old 04-09-14, 08:06 PM
jdm2u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damnnnn wish i had the guts to do it
Old 04-10-14, 07:35 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

Originally Posted by jdm2u
damnnnn wish i had the guts to do it
Do it, you'll have a blast. Just find a HPDE (high performance drivers education) course in your area. In a controlled setting, on a closed track, with instructors in everyone's car is about as safe a way as possible to get into this.
Old 04-10-14, 07:58 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redspencer what pads are your running? I am currently running the EBC yellowstuff and and finding them to fade towards the end of a 20min session. I would really like to find a pad that I don't have to swap out for my track days but I and starting to come to the conclusion that it won't be a possibility. I am currently running NITTO NT05's but might just up to a R Comp for the next set which will only make the problem worse. I think I may try CarboTech pads next but that would require a dedicated set of track and street pads which is a pain. I contacted CarboTech and they recommended the XP12 up front and XP10 in the rear. They said I could keep the rear pads in for daily driving but would have to swap out the fronts for the 1521 pads when off track.
Old 04-14-14, 09:36 AM
Sick350F
Driver School Candidate

Great run btw, I don't think I will be tracking my car. Since I already have another one solely for that purpose. But how's the shifting with the paddle shifter? I did some spirited driving and I know even with the ECT Power button on, it doesn't shift on the dot.
Old 04-14-14, 10:38 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
redspencer what pads are your running? I am currently running the EBC yellowstuff and and finding them to fade towards the end of a 20min session. I would really like to find a pad that I don't have to swap out for my track days but I and starting to come to the conclusion that it won't be a possibility. I am currently running NITTO NT05's but might just up to a R Comp for the next set which will only make the problem worse.
I'm also running on EBC Yellows like you. So far, I've only tested the pads on an autox course which was about 90 seconds for each run and with the combination of ATE Type 200 brake fluid, I had no issues with brake fade. From what I read, the ebc yellows are one of the best street/track pads to use without resorting to swapping out to dedicated track pads for race days (which I also don't wish to do at this time as I like keeping the car in a daily driver configuration).
Old 04-14-14, 02:08 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have registered to this PCA OCR Walter's 4th 2014 Autocross on Sunday May 4th, 2014 which is sponsored by Porsche club. I believe there are only 2 Lexus registered so far one is IS300 and then me IS350 Anyone else is going to this? $85 registering at http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...6#.U0xONFfeJ8F
Old 04-14-14, 02:13 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

How do I disable the traction control on 2006 IS350?? I tried the following and it did not work:
1. Pressing traction control off for 5 seconds. (worked on 2012 IS250 but not 2006 IS350)
2. Pedal dance, still not working
a. start engine with parking brake on
b. Press/release parking brake 2 times
c. Press/release regular brake 2 times
d. repeat (b) and (c) multiple times
3. Pedal dance plus holding traction control off does not work either.

Can someone shows a specific sequence or may be even a video would be awesome? Thanks.
Old 04-14-14, 02:33 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

Old 04-15-14, 12:35 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I thought the sequence included depressing the pedal 3 times, not twice. That might be why.