IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus denying basic warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 05:26 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebgry350
Oh btw pheonix, how did fighting your insurance co. for replacing your windshield with a OEM part work out for you? I know you said you "fought" them hard to get an oem replacement and if they didn't give you an oem replacement you were going to switch companies....... Aftermarket and OEM glass serve the same purpose correct? But one (OEM) just happens to insulate sound slightly better. At the end of the day its just a windshield right? I'm sure if you did switch, your previous carrier was glad to no longer have you as a customer.
Of course i "fought hard" to get an OEM replacement. However, i was also smart enough to move on once i understood the terms of the insurance policy and the rules/regulations governing insurance for my particular area.
and yes, the aftermarket serve the same purpose and i don't even notice any extra noise (especially i have aftermarket intake and exhaust
and yes, i already switched insurance company
Old 03-27-14, 05:35 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I am just gonna do what we should do in a free market and take my business elsewhere after this." - I believe this is what you said about the insurance company not fulfilling your request for an OEM replacement part.

If State Farm said they would cover an aftermarket windshield for less out of pocket than me buying one myself, even I would take what they offered without a fight.
You've lost me here! I did switch to a different company that offer OEM replacement parts ONLY (for the same premium).
Again-good luck with your next vehicles and PLEASE come back to let us know how well it work out for you
Old 03-27-14, 05:47 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Of course i "fought hard" to get an OEM replacement. However, i was also smart enough to move on once i understood the terms of the insurance policy and the rules/regulations governing insurance for my particular area.
and yes, the aftermarket serve the same purpose and i don't even notice any extra noise (especially i have aftermarket intake and exhaust
So why are you up my *** about this emblem issue? I'm fighting Lexus hard to warranty a part. Lexus is saying no, just as your insurance company did. Look at a new vehicle warranty like an insurance policy. I'm not doing anything different than what you did with your carrier. Now, I wouldn't be happy that my insurance co. didn't use factory parts, but they are also covering most of the cost of any replacement windshield as a courtesy to you. What is it, like 100 bucks out of pocket through an insurance co for a new windshield? Even aftermarket glass installed costs $450-700, but you demanded factory glass. It's not the insurance companies fault you got a rock chip. You did the same thing I am proposing, changing companies. If Gieco would have replied and said, since you brought this to our attention, this one time we will please you and cover the OEM replacement cost, would you have switched carriers?

Originally, yes, my issue was this "wear" "defect" "line" on the emblem. Now, my issue is not the emblem, but the response Lexus gave for the denial of the replacement. We can argue all day how that emblem got the blemish on it. All I can attest to is never having done anything that would cause it to "wear." The only other person to drive my vehicle is the service staff at the dealer. I am tempted to buy a few exterior chrome emblems with the points I have on my Lexus Pursuits card. Then spend hours rubbing my fingers across them attempting to replicate wear, but then again thats more of a job for the engineering department at Lexus.
Old 03-27-14, 06:14 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Again-good luck with your next vehicles and PLEASE come back to let us know how well it work out for you
I'll come back just for you and even PM you to let you know how it went. Nobody forced to read or respond to this thread in the first place. While I value your input, I was hoping for responses from those who currently have a vehicle with a remaining factory warranty. As my initial post asks if anyone else has experienced any issues with a warranty claim through Lexus. However, since you have not, I'm unsure as to the relevancy of your opinion. But I certainly appreciate your kind wishes for my future vehicles.
Old 03-27-14, 06:23 PM
UKDSMer
Driver School Candidate

I can certainly understand your standing on your principals and expecting better service from Lexus but are there other issues with the car that you're not happy with? Is the whole reason for the trade in to BMW out of sheer spite at Lexus for not warranting the part?

Where I'm coming from here is you're about to trade in a 1 year old car that just lost a large chunk of it's lot value (as every new car does), then trade it for a new car (again). I can't be bothered to do the math but with this kind of exchange you stand to lose thousands dollars just to stick it to Lexus.

Money wise, if the blemish drove me crazy I would consider paying for it to be replaced or come to some kind of agreement between parts and labor with the dealer.

Sometimes you just have to let stuff go.
Old 03-27-14, 08:11 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UKDSMer
I can certainly understand your standing on your principals and expecting better service from Lexus but are there other issues with the car that you're not happy with? Is the whole reason for the trade in to BMW out of sheer spite at Lexus for not warranting the part?

Where I'm coming from here is you're about to trade in a 1 year old car that just lost a large chunk of it's lot value (as every new car does), then trade it for a new car (again). I can't be bothered to do the math but with this kind of exchange you stand to lose thousands dollars just to stick it to Lexus.

Money wise, if the blemish drove me crazy I would consider paying for it to be replaced or come to some kind of agreement between parts and labor with the dealer.

Sometimes you just have to let stuff go.
The reason for switching isn't out of spite at all, its that I have no guarantee that I won't get the same answer for a larger problem in the future. Typically I would prefer to enjoy a vehicle for, give or take, 3 years, then trade. What if I had some minor issue with a vibration in the front end, at this point, I can't be certain that Lexus won't do a cost benefit analysis for resolving the issue.

The only concern here at this point, is the answer I received from Lexus. Sure, I agree, this isn't a big deal, yes it's an emblem, which unfortunately is in my line of sight each and every day, but my car still drives and performs just fine.

The only other real issue I have had with my car is the clear coat, which I also explained to Lexus in my complaint for arbitration. If it rains followed by the sun coming out, the water spots etch the clear coat. Hand washing the vehicle with a shampoo+conditioner does not seem to remove the outlines of the water spots. Using quick detailer with a microfiber didn't work either. Even tried a little vinegar mixed with water and they still wouldn't budge. I end up using a clay bar and a d/a polisher followed by sealing the paint again. I seal my paint with sonus sealant every month, but this winter hasn't provided many days with rain followed by sun, to determine if that solved the issue. I was using Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant when I experienced the water spot problem. Another issue with the clear coat close the the gas tank. When removing the filler nozzle from vehicle, a drop of gas must have dripped on the lip of the fender at the bottom of the fuel door. It was winter and damp out, so water mixed with the fuel. Just as water beads up and runs towards the back of the vehicle, when washing the vehicle a week after getting fuel, I noticed a clear run approx 3 feet from just below the fuel door to the rear bumper. It was a faint line, however, it was unable to be removed with polish. The dealer inspected the vehicle and determined the clear coat was etched and from the rear door back would need to be refinished. It's something very difficult to see, something most people wouldn't notice, so I declined to have the dealer submit the claim to Lexus, as repaint never wears the same. The vehicle only had 3,500 miles on it when I noticed this issue. Out of the four vehicles I have owned, I have never seen clear coat so easily etched.

Overall, I think Lexus builds a great vehicle. I think the IS300 will be always be the iconic turning point for the brand. Then the introduction of the 2G IS and now the new bold design of the 3G and others in the lineup, they continue to head in the right direction. That being said, Lexus has always been known for their superb customer service and satisfaction. The mixed response is what bothers me about this situation. It sounds like they are saying yes, we would replace it if it weren't attached to the airbag assembly. That emblem being attached to the airbag cover is the only reason they are not replacing it. Thats where I'm at a loss, confused and concerned.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-27-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 09:12 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The only other real issue I have had with my car is the clear coat, which I also explained to Lexus in my complaint for arbitration. If it rains followed by the sun coming out, the water spots etch the clear coat.
Ok, now you've lost any remaining shred of credibility you might have had. Better include global warming in your suit.

Water spots occur with any rain or tap water. Try a water spot remover, or CLR.

Last edited by TimboIS; 03-27-14 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 09:58 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timbois
ok, now you've lost any remaining shred of credibility you might have had. Better include global warming in your suit.

water spots occur with any rain or tap water. Try a water spot remover, or clr.
+1........... I never heard of anything like this in my 6 years on CL.
Old 03-28-14, 02:12 AM
Boy1109
Driver

Shame on Lexus I'll sell you mines for $899 if it bothers you that much
Old 03-28-14, 04:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Ok, now you've lost any remaining shred of credibility you might have had. Better include global warming in your suit.

I agree.
He's the type of customer any business wouldn't mind losing.
Old 03-28-14, 05:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't that the point? I think Nebgry350 has been saying all along that he understands the terms of the warranty, and that is why he is pushing the issue. If the warranty excluded trim pieces, I don't think we'd have this thread...
Old 03-28-14, 05:32 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS

And what credibility did you have throughout this issue? You haven't made one valid point regarding a warranty concern this entire thread, besides your "expert" opinion that something rubbed the emblem. I bet if my rearview mirror started getting black spots on it in 6 years, you would feel Lexus has an obligation to replace it, even though the car is out of warranty, right? ;-) Thats just normal wear and tear for mirrors after 6 years of cleaning and use....... I really don't understand you people that ^$%# about one thing but pursue similar issues on another. You say I should live with this blemish as its normal wear and tear, so why are you advocating Lexus issue a TSB for a rearview mirror after 6 years of use?

+1.What you fail to understand is the basics of etching. Sure it happens sometimes, but in the past, well on my last vehicle, a hand wash removed them completely. Also, not sure Lexus approves the use of CLR on paint, same for the clear bra. I wouldn't want to use CLR then have Lexus say the damage is from excessive "wear." My dads GS doesn't seem to get the same water spot issue that I have, and his vehicle is in the same town, unless I just have acid rain a half mile away??? Usually, water spots are on the surface of the clear coat, then those are easily removed by washing and drying the vehicle. These, however, required polishing, and not just on one random occasion. I had to polish the vertical surface of the vehicle every few weeks during the summer to remove the spots. This shouldn't happen after every rain, as I never had that issue on my TL S... I think I have seen a few other threads on these forums of similar concerns, but I guess those who take their car through a car wash or have a lighter color vehicle wouldn't notice much. Again, this concern was never sent to Lexus, It's just an opinion with ownership. Acura before it didn't do it, this vehicle does, I'm not asking for warranty claim because of it.

Also, I didn't ask Lexus to repair the paint issue regarding the "fuel/water" stain. I polished the area and sealed it, and let it go. On the water spot issue, although it takes me an extra hour to polish and seal the vertical surfaces, I am able to solve the problem myself. So if you're looking for credibility, I think I have demonstrated that I can looked BEYOND issues like this in the past. The only reason this thread was ever created was as a response to Lexus' reasoning for not fixing the emblem. Moreover, I'm not sure what "SUIT" you are talking about, perhaps the one I'm wearing to work today? This isn't a lawsuit, nor do I believe in global warming, but nice try.

You still don't get the point, which doesn't surprise me at all. Take a minute to read your warranty book that came with your vehicle. When you have a issue they outline the steps you are required to go through when seeking resolution. I am following those steps and somehow that makes me a terrible customer.

And those that feel that I would be a nightmare of a customer, maybe you should look at it as I'm "on the pursuit of perfect "

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-28-14 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 05:43 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
Isn't that the point? I think Nebgry350 has been saying all along that he understands the terms of the warranty, and that is why he is pushing the issue. If the warranty excluded trim pieces, I don't think we'd have this thread...

Frankly, we wouldn't even be here had Lexus given me a more valid reason for not replacing the part. If anyone viewing this thread is satisfied with the response Lexus gave, then you're a damn fool and a pushover of a consumer. We have all picked our battles over one thing or another. I'm not doing anything extraordinary here, simply doing what is outlined to us in the book we were given in the vehicle. Yet everyone is jumping all over me about this issue, when some of them have posted a very similar argument on these very forums. Maybe not a problem with Lexus corporate, but with an insurance company over something very minor. The fact is, if you are unhappy with a service you receive, you complain, its human nature.

If any of you ever had a body shop repair performed, and that body shop has a lifetime paint warranty. You get your vehicle back from the body shop and notice this small defect in your paint that almost looks like a small run or some orange peel. You take it back to the body shop and point the defect out, and the answer you get is, yes our paint is warrantied for life, but it's not worth our time to fix this little defect for you, come back when the paint is peeling........ What scenario do I have to give you to make you understand whats going on here. There are a few replies that show some people here have some intelligence and understand the concern I raise. I'm sorry some of you are pushovers or simply don't care about the appearance of your vehicles, if the car starts, in your eyes it's a perfect world.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-28-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 05:46 AM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

plastidp the emblem and be done.imo, too much wasted time reading this post
Old 03-28-14, 08:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The only other real issue I have had with my car is the clear coat, which I also explained to Lexus in my complaint for arbitration. If it rains followed by the sun coming out, the water spots etch the clear coat. Hand washing the vehicle with a shampoo+conditioner does not seem to remove the outlines of the water spots.
....OK -- you've lost me on this one. I don't think the Lexus warranty covers your car getting dirty...

Quick Reply: Lexus denying basic warranty claim