IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus denying basic warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 05:45 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you regarding excessive wear and tear, however, this emblem is in a location that doesn't typically get much wear. It's not uncommon for chrome emblems to start peeling after many years exposed to sun, but this vehicle is a year old and the overall condition of the vehicle would suggest that excessive wear is not the culprit. The only thing I can say is the emblem is still perfectly smooth, had the emblem been scratched somehow, I'm sure I would feel some sort of gouge in it.
Old 03-25-14, 05:56 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
They are bluffing. Arbitration will cost them way more than $900--hell, their attorneys probably charge that in 1 hour.
I was thinking the same thing. Typically an arbitrators fee, combined with the added costs of their attorney filing the response to the complaint, will cost more than the part in question. I am simply following the guideline provided to us in the warranty and services guide.
Old 03-25-14, 06:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you are following a path that will lead to nowhere. An emblem could be marred in many ways and the fact that you have to blow it up to many times actual size to make it visible would seem to me to be not much of a problem. No car is 100% perfect, sorry that you think it should be so. Learn to fight the big problems....I wouldn't use up all my goodwill capital on this issue. Keep your powder dry for when you really need Lexus assistance.
Old 03-25-14, 08:06 PM
kamileon
Driver School Candidate

I would ask the service manager if they can swap out the airbag from a loaner/demo car. No one else will notice this.
Old 03-25-14, 08:38 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

No disrespect but all this over a little white line in the emblem? I get it you bought it new a year ago but anything can wear over 1day to a year you own it. Learn to work with the dealership something this small isn't worth my time. Next time you might need something fixed out warranty.
Kamileom dealership doing that is a no no cant mess with safety item to please some one else.
Old 03-25-14, 08:52 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

This isn't just over the white line in the emblem. This is about Lexus honoring the basic warranty that comes with a new vehicle. I never keep a car long enough for factory warranty to run out anyway. Swap this scenario with any part in the vehicle that is covered by the basic warranty, then reconsider.

Basic warranty: The warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, subject to the exceptions indicated under "What is not covered."

What is not covered: Fire, accidents, theft, abuse, neglect, misuse - for example, racing or overloading, improper repairs, alteration or tampering, including installation of non-ginuine Lexus accessories, Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Owner's Manual, installation of non-ginuine Lexus parts, airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, wind storms, lightning, and other environmental conditions, water contamination.

You're right, vehicles do wear over time, however, if the product wears at an unreasonable rate, should that not be subject to concern with a factory warranty? Perhaps the signal indicator letters completely rub off within 9 months of ownership, but other similar vehicles several years older are not experiencing the same wear, would you not ask to have that part replaced? I have a great working relationship with this dealer, in fact my immediate family have purchased 8 new vehicles from this dealership in the last 7 years. I went through proper channels, first bringing it to the attention of my advisor, who referred it to the service manager, who then contacted an area rep, ultimately leading to a claim sent to Lexus corporate, as specified in the warranty book.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-25-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 09:10 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I don't see why Lexus would replace that. It is hard to prove that it was workmanship problem versus wear and tear.
Old 03-25-14, 09:23 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with Nebgry on this one. I know lexus has replaced the center overlay around the gearshift when someone admittedly left their cell phone on it and marred the finish. If the defect is SO SMALL, then I would ask if anyone would switch their steering wheel with Nebgry's. Plus the defect is right in front of you as a reminder every time you get in your car. Come on lexus...

Last edited by Cali2is; 03-25-14 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 10:40 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Lexus has said nothing about wear and tear or said they denied the claim due to wear and tear. The claim was denied simply because the emblem is attached to a very expensive part. So in order to remedy a defect on a relatively inexpensive emblem, they must cover a much more expensive part. I think the service manager at my dealership would probably tell Lexus that my vehicle is in better condition than inventory in their showroom.

I'm unsure of the best comparison to a different part in the vehicle. Maybe think of it as the F Sport badge on the front fender beginning to lose its color after 10 months. You start to notice some strange red primer showing through the paint in the F Sport badge, however, on the other side of the vehicle the badge is perfect. Then, after taking the vehicle in for the warranty concern, you find out Lexus engineered that badge to be permanently fixed to the fender. In order to replace the F Sport badge, Lexus must replace the entire fender. Lexus ends up denying the claim, essentially because the cost of the fender is substantial compared the defect on the emblem. So their proposed fix is to tell you to live with it.... But every time you approach your vehicle, you notice that red primer showing through, not to mention other passengers who might notice the defect and heckle you for not buying a German car.

It's so easy for others with 5 or 6 year old vehicles to jump all over me for making such a big deal over an emblem. If my vehicle were 3 or 4 years old, I probably wouldn't care about this defect, but thats not the case here. An easy solution is to trade the vehicle and find a new vehicle to replace this one. Unfortunately, after this experience, I will not be considering another Lexus.
Old 03-25-14, 11:00 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

In all of my years dealing with warranty at a dealership, I've never, ever heard of warranty being denied because of the cost of a part, for a legitimate warranty claim, at least not as the primary reason. Claim denied because an assembly is used instead of a component, or because there were cheaper alternatives, yes, but to outright deny a claim because the part in question is expensive? Unheard of.

I would be confused/annoyed/angry.

I've never seen that kind of wear without something rubbing against it.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 03-25-14 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 05:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I think you are following a path that will lead to nowhere. An emblem could be marred in many ways and the fact that you have to blow it up to many times actual size to make it visible would seem to me to be not much of a problem. No car is 100% perfect, sorry that you think it should be so. Learn to fight the big problems....I wouldn't use up all my goodwill capital on this issue. Keep your powder dry for when you really need Lexus assistance.
This is logical--however, it begs the question why Lexus hasn't taken this route to deny the claim so far.

I had a 2000 Acura TL, and got the extended warranty. The auto dimming mirror went bad, and Acura stood firm that it was a "trim piece" (not covered) and not electronics (covered). It just seems odd to me that Lexus is not claiming that this is a trim piece, or typical wear, rather than saying the replacement cost is too expensive. Maybe if you actually get into the arbitration process, the lawyers will respond with this--I just can't understand why Lexus hasn't claimed it yet--unless they don't believe it. I would think "normal wear" would be a pretty standard initial response.
Old 03-26-14, 05:47 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I am onboard with the OP. Pay all this money for "The relentless pursuit of IMPERFECTION" As always, stupid for Lexus to deny a claim that will cost them more in the long run because the OP won't buy another Lexus and he will tell all his friends and co-workers. I'm tired of Lexus looking the other way when it comes to the crappy interior of this car. My dash and all 4 doors cracked in many places and is melting. They don't stand behind and take FULL responsibility for what they know are defects. If I were the OP and it bothers him as much as it would me to see that full price imperfection, I would take them to court and sue for the price of replacing the airbag unit.
Old 03-26-14, 06:47 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

I am awaiting for Lexus to confirm the arbitration, although it will most likely take months for the process to unfold. I would still be unsatisfied with a wear and tear response. The line was not as visible prior to the dealer using some type of cleaner on it. I noticed when it returned from service, the emblem had a lot of white powder dust residue around it and the white line stood out more. I don't fault the service dept, they were just following protocol to identify the issue. I still don't see how this emblem would be subject to wear and tear, unless, of course, you're one of those people who is horn happy and exert a lot of force into stamping your palm with a Lexus logo. Ironically, Lexus doesn't mention wear and tear in the what is not covered section of their warranty.

It's more of just scratching my head as I have never heard that response for a warranty concern. The one thing I will give Acura credit for is warranty service. I had a TSB for brakes squeaking on my car, the dealer called and said the pads were due to be replaced in the next 5k so they went ahead and swapped those and the rotors, and the car was just a few months out of factory warranty.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-26-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 06:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

If you haven't yet, I'd escalate the discussion to the General Manager (GM) of the dealership. Be polite in your conversations and explain the path you've taken and that you're just looking for a resolution to your concern.

She/he might have a bit broader perspective and good sense about not taking this to arbitration to correct it.
Old 03-26-14, 07:05 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

I'll give it a shot. I notified my saleswoman yesterday and simply expressed my disappointment in Lexus standing behind their craftsmanship. There has been no reason to be upset or ignorant over the issue, as it's not some sort of an emergency. I was really hoping to trade for a RC F in two years, but this was a very minor issue for Lexus to deal with and I feel like they dropped the ball.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-26-14 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus denying basic warranty claim