IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus denying basic warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 09:20 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by profet
Also keep in mind that in arbitration, the consumer is frequently required to pay for the company's legal fees "if they lose."

So get ready to shell out money when you lose in arbitration.

An interesting read:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...your-right-sue
+1. I think it is not really worth it to go through arbitration for such a small thing like this. This process should be done for more serious problems.
Old 03-27-14, 09:34 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by profet
Also keep in mind that in arbitration, the consumer is frequently required to pay for the company's legal fees "if they lose."

So get ready to shell out money when you lose in arbitration.

An interesting read:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...your-right-sue

Yes, this was over the phone, however, I do have the text message from my service advisor that states why it was originally declined by the local rep, which is the same reason it was declined at corporate Lexus. Not to mention, all calls made to Lexus are recorded for quality control, and a subpoena could be issued to easily obtain that recording, or Lexus would share that as part of discovery in litigation. Furthermore, my service advisor and service manager would be able to testify as to what the area rep told them.

Read your warranty book. Arbitration is at no cost to the consumer. In civil cases where two parties have pending litigation, then yes, there are costs associated with the arbitration. I work as an investigator for a law firm, I'm quite aware of the costs associated with ADR (alternative dispute resolution). The warranty forces us to seek resolution through arbitration before we can ever file a civil suit against Lexus. Oddly enough, arbitration is only binding on Lexus, so if Lexus were to "lose" in arbitration, they have to comply with the award. If the consumer "loses" in arbitration, they are not bound by that decision and can pursue their claim through the courts.

So prepare to shell out money.... I think not. READ YOUR WARRANTY BOOK!!!!! Thats why they put it in the vehicle

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-27-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 01:38 PM
Cgmiller63
Driver School Candidate

I totally get the argument that the emblem may be covered under the new car warranty. Lexus denying a warranty repair because it’s “too costly to repair” is very troublesome.

However, this is a cosmetic issue that does not affect the operation of the vehicle. You should choose your battles wisely, is this hill you want to die on? If so, than by all means go to arbitration. If not, find a solution. Can you plastidip the emblem so the imperfection is not noticeable?
Old 03-27-14, 02:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgmiller63
I totally get the argument that the emblem may be covered under the new car warranty. Lexus denying a warranty repair because it’s “too costly to repair” is very troublesome.

However, this is a cosmetic issue that does not affect the operation of the vehicle. You should choose your battles wisely, is this hill you want to die on? If so, than by all means go to arbitration. If not, find a solution. Can you plastidip the emblem so the imperfection is not noticeable?
Frankly, I think Lexus is the one that should choose its battles wisely on this one...
Old 03-27-14, 02:36 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Frankly, I think Lexus is the one that should choose its battles wisely on this one...
It is good business practice to say "customer is always right". However, I think Lexus would glad not to have the OP as future customer (just saying
Old 03-27-14, 03:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Two words... Plasti Dip.
Old 03-27-14, 04:11 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pheonix72
It is good business practice to say "customer is always right". However, I think Lexus would glad not to have the OP as future customer (just saying
Maybe... I guess car manufacturers don't like customers who buy new vehicles every few years. :thumb up: And I guess they would be glad to not have both of my parents not return to purchase new vehicles every few years. Sorry that I have a very good eye and notice even the most minor defects. I typically point out scratches and dings on the vehicles my dealer has in their showroom. I know my dealer will miss getting free details on the loaner vehicles I get while mine is in for service. The RX I had during my last service got hand washed, carpets steamed and shampooed, entire entire scrubbed and cleaned with woolite/water solution, leather treated with leatherique and vinyl/plastic dressed with meguiars #40.

Plastidip would remedy the visual appearance of the defect. It still doesn't answer the question of why the manufacturer would respond by only attributing not replacing the emblem due to it being attached to the airbag assembly. To me, this is what I took away from the conversation I had with Lexus... Yes we see what you're talking about, but after review our case manager determined that part is not easily replaced without replacing the entire airbag cover. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do, maybe if the emblem was able to be removed and replaced, we would have no issue. Ok, because it's my fault your engineers attached a cheap piece of plastic to the airbag? I'm sure there is a safety reason behind not being able to remove that emblem.
Old 03-27-14, 04:30 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Seems you're throwing out the baby with the bath water.

That wear, yes wear, on the emblem should not be a warranty issue. (1) your keen eye should have noticed it when you picked up the vehicle a year ago, (2) a piece of plating just doesn't fall off. It was obviously rubbed off. Lexus sees thousands of these, likely bogus, claims. If it bothers you that much, SELL THE CAR. And don't buy another Lexus. Nor should your parents, if they're lame enough to take you're vehicle recommendations over a piece of worn trim. If I ever had the nerve to TELL my dad NOT to buy a certain car, he would have kicked my ***.
Old 03-27-14, 04:36 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Yes, I am pretty sure they would be glad not having a customer like you. Sure, I understand you are standing on the principle that it should be covered under warranty. However, it definitely seems to be wear&tear issue (which was worsen when the Tech attempted to fix).
I am with TimboIS. Good luck with your next vehicles and please come back to tell us how well it works for you (and I hope your parents are smart enough not to taks your silly advice).
Old 03-27-14, 04:46 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Seems you're throwing out the baby with the bath water.

That wear, yes wear, on the emblem should not be a warranty issue. (1) your keen eye should have noticed it when you picked up the vehicle a year ago, (2) a piece of plating just doesn't fall off. It was obviously rubbed off. Lexus sees thousands of these, likely bogus, claims. If it bothers you that much, SELL THE CAR. And don't buy another Lexus. Nor should your parents, if they're lame enough to take you're vehicle recommendations over a piece of worn trim. If I ever had the nerve to TELL my dad NOT to buy a certain car, he would have kicked my ***.

To each their own. And I already made inquiries today as to the availability and ordering of the 2015 M3.

If you somehow believe that the chrome magically rubbed off withing 11 months of ownership, it would say a lot about the quality of the materials. Furthermore, what exactly would rub the steering wheel in that spot? My chrome door handles aren't wearing. Wouldn't that chrome also be wearing from the same wear and tear? After all I do touch it everyday. There's some discrepancy in this idea of wear and tear. I wouldn't expect to see consistent wear in the rest of the vehicle, unless of course, it was a supernatural phenomenon.

If you believe it was appropriate for Lexus to respond the way they did, then I hope you get the same response when you have a warranty concern. You say wear, ironically not one person at Lexus has used the term "wear" when discussing my concern. Maybe Lexus should hire you, as you appear to be an expert in this field.
Old 03-27-14, 04:55 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Chrome on different surfaces/material will behave differently!
Good luck with the M5 and I am sure the guys over in www.m5board.com would love to have you there as well.
By the way, make sure you lower your selling or trade-in value by $900 (if it doesn't get fixed by then
Old 03-27-14, 05:01 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Good luck with the M5 and I am sure the guys over in www.m5board.com would love to have you there as well.
By the way, make sure you lower your selling or trade-in value by $900 (if it doesn't get fixed by then
You mean M3. I honestly don't care what I get for trade on this vehicle. It's not like it retained much value from the 46k I paid for it a year ago, but for you, I'll lower it an extra $900 and tell the dealer to send you a customer referral check.
Old 03-27-14, 05:08 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Oh btw pheonix, how did fighting your insurance co. for replacing your windshield with a OEM part work out for you? I know you said you "fought" them hard to get an oem replacement and if they didn't give you an oem replacement you were going to switch companies....... Aftermarket and OEM glass serve the same purpose correct? But one (OEM) just happens to insulate sound slightly better. At the end of the day its just a windshield right? I'm sure if you did switch, your previous carrier was glad to no longer have you as a customer.
Old 03-27-14, 05:10 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Oh yes, sorry my mistake. I meant M3 and the www.m3forum.com. I am looking forward to the referral check
Btw, the estimated base price for the 2015 M3 is $62,000-$65,000 (compare to your IS of $46k) but I guess money isn't a problem for you.
Old 03-27-14, 05:20 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Oh yes, sorry my mistake. I meant M3 and the www.m3forum.com. I am looking forward to the referral check
Btw, the estimated base price for the 2015 M3 is $62,000-$65,000 (compare to your IS of $46k) but I guess money isn't a problem for you.
"I am just gonna do what we should do in a free market and take my business elsewhere after this." - I believe this is what you said about the insurance company not fulfilling your request for an OEM replacement part.

If State Farm said they would cover an aftermarket windshield for less out of pocket than me buying one myself, even I would take what they offered without a fight. And no, I estimated the M3 to probably be pretty close the RC F carbon, maybe slightly more, but not too far off. I have the title in hand for my IS and a good amount of cash to throw down. I finance 15k of the M, but the dealers are still in the order sheet phase at this point.

Quick Reply: Lexus denying basic warranty claim