IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus denying basic warranty claim

Old 03-26-14, 08:19 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar thing happened to my parent's 2013 RX350. There was a rather clear paint over-spray spot on the back-side of the steering wheel you can feel when you grab the steering wheel. It wasn't visible when you sit in the car but you could definitely feel the "bumps" when you grab the wheel and it really detracted from the "exhilarating driving experience" (as I called it ) that any Lexus should provide. The dealership resisted initially but relented in the end. And yes, they had to replace the entire steering wheel assembly...airbags and all to the tune of $900 or more. Be patient and persistent.
Old 03-26-14, 08:23 AM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Good to know. I mean, I guess on the bright side I didn't get Peggy from the Discover Card "USA Prime Credit" commercials putting me on hold when I called.
Old 03-26-14, 09:27 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if it is just me but fixing an imperfect emblem by escalating to arbitration is a bit overkill for real. I mean, you will spend so much more time, so much more effort to and finally get a perfect emblem on the steering wheel. They lost $900, you lost your time and effort, administrators in the arbitration lost their time which is also money==> just a perfect emblem.

If it is a major problem with the engine that can cause havoc in driving and they don't honor the warranty, then arbitration seems more reasonable. I think you should talk to the GM of the dealer either on the phone or email or in person before you escalating that to arbitration. I think arbitration process will involve so much human resource time and money on both ends and it should be used for something more serious like engine problems not being warrantied, not an imperfect emblem.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Last edited by FSportIS; 03-26-14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 11:11 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well in defense of the OP, Lexus dealers are replacing 2011-2012 complete HID assemblies for a tiny little paint defect inside the housing. I think to the tune of $3000 or something ridiculous like that for parts and labor.

If I was in the OP's situation I probably would have asked, if they denied the emblem replacement I'd probably just move on. Like a few people were saying so far, you should keep a good relationship with Lexus in case you REALLY need them to pull through for you when ***** hits the fan. This whole situation is getting a bit blown out of proportion for a scratch on an emblem.

I'm curious on how this will all turn out and how far the OP is willing to take it, It'd be real comical if Lexus actually replaced this guy's car for the emblem scratch.
Old 03-26-14, 11:55 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebgry350
The one thing I will give Acura credit for is warranty service. I had a TSB for brakes squeaking on my car, the dealer called and said the pads were due to be replaced in the next 5k so they went ahead and swapped those and the rotors, and the car was just a few months out of factory warranty.
Well, TSB is different since it's issued by the manufacturer. Lexus had a similar TSB on brake dust, so if you thought your brake pads were too dusty, the dealer will replace it. I'm sure if there were a TSB on line in the steering wheel emblem, I'm sure it would just get replaced without question.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll do in your situation. If I were you, I would probably just ask for a free oil change and call it good :-) But I never really look at the emblem while getting in or out or driving the car.
Old 03-26-14, 12:19 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

it just a stick on emblem take it off and buy another one OMG!!!!! I know you are trying to get your point across about whats cover in warranty and what not but hey no one is perfect everything will have defect.
Old 03-26-14, 04:42 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

The fact the the OP is the only one to have this issue tells me it is in fact a defect in this one emblem and should be replaced, If everyone had the issue it would be a defect in materials and a TSB would be issued and all defective parts would be replaced like the headlights.Just because it is a small issue shouldn't give them the right to say no.They have acknowledged the issue by trying to fix/polish the line out. If the never tried to fix it it would make more sense than saying it is to expensive to replace for what it is. In the end if you don't get satisfaction you will vote with your feet and never buy another Lexus again as well as tell all your friends not to due to your trouble not getting handled. I haven't stepped foot inside a Sears store in over 12 years due to a poor customer service issue on a warranty issue.
Old 03-26-14, 05:10 PM
skinnie
Rookie

LMAO......wow
Old 03-26-14, 05:25 PM
4vsn95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Well in defense of the OP, Lexus dealers are replacing 2011-2012 complete HID assemblies for a tiny little paint defect inside the housing. I think to the tune of $3000 or something ridiculous like that for parts and labor.

If I was in the OP's situation I probably would have asked, if they denied the emblem replacement I'd probably just move on. Like a few people were saying so far, you should keep a good relationship with Lexus in case you REALLY need them to pull through for you when ***** hits the fan. This whole situation is getting a bit blown out of proportion for a scratch on an emblem.

I'm curious on how this will all turn out and how far the OP is willing to take it, It'd be real comical if Lexus actually replaced this guy's car for the emblem scratch.
I am currently in the process of getting this done on mine. The first set of replacement headlamps the dealer put in were scratched on the outside of the lens on the new ones, second set they put in the old style by mistake and the drivers side has condensation inside, third has been ordered and I'm dropping off tomorrow to get them replaced again. So count me in for several thousands of dollars of headlights(3 new sets total) in the past month with no trouble at all from the dealer about cost.

OP, I think maybe your dealer and rep are just terrible. I work at a car dealer in the service dept(different manufacturer), and in 12 years I have never seen a claim denied for cost. I've seen a entire dash replaced for a very barely noticeable protrusion. I have worked for Jeep, VW, Nissan, and Honda over the years and never seen denial for cost ever. If that is really corporate Lexus' stance then that is absurd. Maybe your dealer has a bad relationship with the factory rep or their cost per vin is really high on warranty repairs. None of those are your fault, but I would seriously consider a new dealers opinion(who may not even need rep approval). I'm not 100% sure about Lexus, but other manufacturers have different spending limits set for different dealers based on numerous factors. It's quite possible that a different dealer could replace this part without contacting a rep because their "limit" is higher for what would or would not need approval.

Also worth noting is that if the "defect" was not very noticeable until the service dept cleaned it (I think that was said) then it is the dealers responsibility to fix that mistake, not corporate Lexus. Lexus is on the hook for defects in workmanship, not something caused by outside influence even if while at the dealer.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-26-14, 05:31 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
The fact the the OP is the only one to have this issue tells me it is in fact a defect in this one emblem and should be replaced, If everyone had the issue it would be a defect in materials and a TSB would be issued and all defective parts would be replaced like the headlights.Just because it is a small issue shouldn't give them the right to say no.They have acknowledged the issue by trying to fix/polish the line out. If the never tried to fix it it would make more sense than saying it is to expensive to replace for what it is. In the end if you don't get satisfaction you will vote with your feet and never buy another Lexus again as well as tell all your friends not to due to your trouble not getting handled. I haven't stepped foot inside a Sears store in over 12 years due to a poor customer service issue on a warranty issue.
Lexus could also turn around and say it is wear and tear issue (since no one else has complaint).
In a way, I could slightly understand the OP's rationale (that he paid a lot of money for the car and now it shows some imperfection). But come on, there are many other more important things to worry/car about in life.
LET IT GO! Try to enjoy other great aspects of the car. I am pretty sure Lexus doesn't give a $#@¥ if the OP wont buy another Lexus! They are a big player in the automotive world now and for the most their products and reputation will speak for them.
LET IT GO! LET IT GO...
Old 03-26-14, 05:52 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

This makes no sense, my car was out of warranty, my NAV digitizer went bad. Lexus took care of me and all i paid for was the labor for the part to be replaced. they replaced it. When I went to pick up the car the upper left vent above was broken, and there was a gouge on the new NAV unit plastic. (All of which wasn't there before, especially the vent cause i can count on one hand in 5 years how many times they have been moved up or down, and the NAV unit was new). Corporate had a regional rep come out, take a look because the dealer wasn't going to replace the vent or NAV saying I did it. hahahaha yeah i have never taken the interior apart, and by sitting in the car my eyes made the plastic in the NAV unit gouge.

Long story short, something seems a bit off cause in my case Lexus basically scrapped a NAV unit for a new one which is more expensive that that airbag unit. So their story of not covering it cause it costs too much is wrong.
Old 03-26-14, 06:22 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Lexus could also turn around and say it is wear and tear issue (since no one else has complaint).
In a way, I could slightly understand the OP's rationale (that he paid a lot of money for the car and now it shows some imperfection). But come on, there are many other more important things to worry/car about in life.
LET IT GO! Try to enjoy other great aspects of the car. I am pretty sure Lexus doesn't give a $#@¥ if the OP wont buy another Lexus! They are a big player in the automotive world now and for the most their products and reputation will speak for them.
LET IT GO! LET IT GO...
Alright, no need to spoil Frozen for those who haven't seen it yet . I haven't been exerting much time or exhausting myself worried to death about it. I would hardly consider 10 minutes of my day an obsession. As far as the arbitration, it's not my choice, its the guidelines set forth by our warranty. They have certain steps that they require you to follow. First you consult your dealership, if a resolution isn't reached you send it to corporate, if a resolution still isn't reached, it goes to arbitration.

I spoke to Joy at Lexus Customer service, and she said this was a first for her, as she never knew the emblem was not able to be replaced without the airbag being replaced. She explained that a case manager reviewed the photos and made the determination to deny the claim. That was the answer I received. Joy said that cost of the airbag assembly would not warrant a replacement due to a defect in the emblem. I asked if there was another case manager that could review the claim, and she explained that once it was decided, that was it, all options have been exhausted at that point.

The TSB issue was just an example of Acura doing something I didn't expect or ask for. The TSB was for a brake squeak, which called for the pads to be changed, however, they ended up throwing in new rotors at no cost, when the vehicle was out of warranty by 2 months.

And Lexus may not give a $#&% if I buy another car from them, however, there are two other Lexus vehicles registered under the same household. And I can tell you my mom's 2012 RX was going to be replaced by the 2015 RX Hybrid sometime this year, but they are now considering the MDX. She has experienced a sulfur smell during acceleration on the interstate, which the dealer attributes to the fuel used in this region. I buy a new vehicle every 3 to 4 years, with exception to one vehicle I traded after 8 months, but that was a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I couldn't get into and drive (manual trans) after I broke my right foot really bad. Being in my early 20's, if I live till 75, thats about 17 to 20 more vehicles left to own. This love hate relationship with my IS will end prematurely depending what the final outcome is. I was planning on buying an RC F next year when the 2016 becomes available, but now I will give the Germans a shot.

What some are failing to understand is the essential point I am trying to make regarding the warranty. Is the vehicle under warranty? Yes. Does the warranty cover a product defect or issue in manufacturing? It's supposed to. Did Lexus acknowledge the defect? Yes they have. Even the lead service tech was able to see it, then attempted to fix or clean it while the vehicle was in for an oil change. Everyone just says let it go, its a little issue, but this has nothing to do with the size of the defect. It wouldn't matter if the issue were this small or some larger warranty concern, Lexus is making the choice to NOT HONOR a warranty. When you purchase a new vehicle, you have a certain expectation that problems will be resolved when they arise, in this case, they are not. What incentive is there to buy a new vehicle from Lexus, seems like you are better off buying a CPO.

Last edited by Nebgry350; 03-26-14 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 07:42 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, in the end of the day, it is JUST AN EMBLEM!!! I'm out of here.
Old 03-26-14, 07:54 PM
Nebgry350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
lol, in the end of the day, it is JUST AN EMBLEM!!! I'm out of here.
Me too, it's happy hour ;-).
Old 03-26-14, 08:23 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

We get it under warranty but to most of us the world not ending on a white line lol. You can go for a Germany car but at the end you be back. Cause cost of ownership is high on maintance side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus denying basic warranty claim