IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Help!! IS350 towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 06:17 PM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help!! IS350 towing capacity

So i am moving and going to drive about 24 hours. I am planing to rent a trailer and hook to my IS350. So What trailer hook i need?
Old 03-22-14, 06:57 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might as well rent one of thier cargo vans.
Old 03-22-14, 07:10 PM
jasonr
Driver

They are not comfortable and fun to drive. I like driving my car and can do 24 hour drive easily.
Old 03-22-14, 07:25 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was just flipping through the owners manual yesterday for my IS350 and saw the picture of the car and a trailer with a big red circle with a slash through it. I kind of laughed wondering why someone would even try to tow something with this car. Sounds like you're determined to do it this way though, so I wish you luck in this endeavor. Please post up photos if you do get it figured out. UHaul probably won't help you either. Believe it or not, they are pretty strict in what they'll rent to. I've got a 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. The only thing about it that resembles an Explorer is the name. Has 4x4 and a 4.6L V8, and Uhaul still won't rent to me because of lawyers. Back in the late 90's when Ford had the rollover problems with Firestone tires, it turned out a couple of them involved Explorers towing a trailer. Never mind there have been 3 Chassis redesigns since. Uhal refuses to rent to anything with the name Explorer. Pull up in a Lincoln Aviator or Mercury Mountaineer and rent all day long. Both those vehicles are Explorers with different lipstick. Lawyers.

Below is a copy/paste from the owners manual:

2-5. Driving information

Trailer towing

Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Lexus also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your Lexus is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers.
Old 03-23-14, 09:47 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Here's an available off-the-shelve trailer hitch for the 2IS :

Due to the design limitations of the hitch itself, it has inherent weak points...which when adding any serious amount of weight (U-Haul trailer), you'll have serious issues.

I HIGHLY recommend to not use the 2IS to haul such a trailer!

Your best bet is to rent a U-Haul that can both haul your stuff, but that also has a hitch that you can attach a trailer onto to transport your Lexus.
Old 03-23-14, 01:12 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I HIGHLY recommend to not use the 2IS to haul such a trailer!

Your best bet is to rent a U-Haul that can both haul your stuff, but that also has a hitch that you can attach a trailer onto to transport your Lexus.
Someone already suggested that to him, but he said the van isn't comfortable and fun to drive. I think he is underestimating how much fun it will be to lug a trailer behind an IS for 24 hours.

That hitch you have pictured above is a Class I, which I think isn't enough to rent a Uhaul with. I believe the trailers they have exceed the 200 pound tongue weight. I personally wouldn't want to try and tow anything with less than a Class III. Class I and II hitches are mostly for bike racks in my opinion..
Old 03-23-14, 02:08 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
I think he is underestimating how much fun it will be to lug a trailer behind an IS for 24 hours.
lol; yeah, I don't know what he's going to do to make driving the car fun with trailer attached other than driving like grandma, unless you want the muffler or bumper or whatever that it's attached to fly off
Old 03-23-14, 05:03 PM
jasonr
Driver

Thanks for the info guys. I am planning to use the smallest trailer possible. like 4' X 8 '
I will probably put about 100 lbs or less in the trailer. i will put most of the stuff in the vehicle trunk.
So left over things in the trailer. just TV and some clothing. i don't have heavy stuff. It just doesn't fit in the car and its not worth to pay so much to rent a van or truck for few items.
Old 03-23-14, 05:50 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Ship it FedEx Freight or UPS Freight (not normal FedEx/UPS).
Or get a roof-top box. Both of those would most likely be cheaper and make more sense.
Someone will always buy a rooftop box after your finished with it.
You will never find a buyer to sell your Lexus IS350 hitch/receiver to.
Old 03-23-14, 06:48 PM
jasonr
Driver

Originally Posted by FI4runner
Ship it FedEx Freight or UPS Freight (not normal FedEx/UPS).
Or get a roof-top box. Both of those would most likely be cheaper and make more sense.
Someone will always buy a rooftop box after your finished with it.
You will never find a buyer to sell your Lexus IS350 hitch/receiver to.
Thanks for replying. I was planing to ship some stuff through fedex.
I never thought of rooftop box. That will work perfectly. Thank you