IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wife may have totaled our IS350 ... what next

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 08:28 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife may have totaled our IS350 ... what next

This weekend my wife did a number on my IS350 from hitting a deer. Cosmetically the damage isn't too bad, but it went under the car and tore the **** out of the radiator, steering, suspension, exhaust, and possibly the frame -- a large metal piece that runs parallel with the axle is bent to ****.

.... so assuming it is a total loss I expect a check for ~20k from insurance, I just cashed out a penny stock for 5k.... so I would have 25k to buy a "new" car, and willing ti finance a little more to jump up to around 30k (I hate debt so the less the better).

My new job has me putting on around 6500 miles a year (very very small amounts), and I do have an RSX as a "winter beater" if needed. We live in Minneapolis so snow is an issue, but honestly I take the IS350 (rwd) with blizzaks does better than the RSX, so staying RWD isn't a problem for me....

What the wife and I are looking for in a new car -
* Quick... at least similar to the IS350
* Reliable - 3 IS's, totaling over 300k miles, never had a problem beyond basic maintenance, I love that about these cars
* Automatic (for when the wife drives it)

Currently thinking about:

2008 ISF - 52k miles - $29k asking
... I had a IS250 and two IS350's, this seems like a logical next step.

2011 CTS Coupe 3.6 awd -
AWD means I can easily justify ditching the RSX, uses regular gas, and looks sharp

2011+ G37x coupe -
AWD again, should be quite quick, interior is kinda boring to me though

..... anything else I should have on my radar? 335i / S4 sort of ruled out due to the maintenance issues that go with Euro cars.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-14, 08:36 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I say isf if you don't need awd.
Old 03-19-14, 08:40 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

I say isf if you don't need awd.
I've been driving the IS350 (rwd) for 2 years now, with the right snow tires its fine... the traction systems are so good that it honestly works better than my RSX in the snow (or my wife's SUV for that matter).

Getting rid of the the RSX would be nice, our condo building gives us two indoor spots, we're paying for a 3rd at the moment, but it would be nice to unload that.... it would probably cover the cost to go to the ISF.

... my biggest concern is how much money will brakes and tires eat up over the next few years. Affording them isn't a problem, but I hate spending money knowing that I could be spending less.
Old 03-19-14, 08:47 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are used to the IS350 you will more than likely not like the G37. Has tons of power but handle like crap compared to the 350. Never driven the CTS but I have heard they are great cars so I would for sure look into those. The IS-F would sure be fun though. Kind of a different category but possibly look into a WRX. The newer ones are actually pretty nice and not as ricey.
Old 03-19-14, 08:51 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Out of those choices I'd say ISF.

Cadillacs don't have the best track record when it comes to maintenance and parts.

I don't really have any complaints about the G37 as long as it is a sedan. I had a 2012 as a rental a couple years ago and I absolutely loved it.....the only thing that drove me nuts was the tacky clock that is on the dash....it looks horrible and out of place.
Old 03-19-14, 08:52 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
The newer ones are actually pretty nice and not as ricey.
They look absilutely horrible though....almost exactly like a Civic.
Old 03-19-14, 08:54 AM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the IS-F!!!!
Old 03-19-14, 08:55 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

They look absilutely horrible though....almost exactly like a Civic.
+1 to this.

The 2014 looks just like a 2014 Corolla. If I was going that route I would much rather a newer EVO, but the fit/finish just doesn't seem nearly to the level of Lexus / Cadillac / Infiniti .
Old 03-19-14, 08:59 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
I've been driving the IS350 (rwd) for 2 years now, with the right snow tires its fine... the traction systems are so good that it honestly works better than my RSX in the snow (or my wife's SUV for that matter).

Getting rid of the the RSX would be nice, our condo building gives us two indoor spots, we're paying for a 3rd at the moment, but it would be nice to unload that.... it would probably cover the cost to go to the ISF.

... my biggest concern is how much money will brakes and tires eat up over the next few years. Affording them isn't a problem, but I hate spending money knowing that I could be spending less.
That all depends on your driving and if you have a heavy foot. You could spend less but could you be happier with those other 2 option. That the key.
Old 03-19-14, 10:17 AM
teaguedp90
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you would enjoy the ISF. i test drove one a while back, i have an IS250 right now and was all "meh, i like getting good gas mileage, thats why i no get a 350. meh, meh, meh" and when i test drove the ISF and drove sensibly on the highway i wound up getting a little bit better gas mileage with ISF and i think is mostly due to the 8 gears it has as opposed to the 6 gears in my 250. but when i decide to step on the gas i noticed i had a huge smile as i listened to that V8 roar. lol definitely go with the ISF.
Old 03-19-14, 11:52 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for the ISF!
Old 03-19-14, 01:03 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the OP said he doesn't want to spend for unnecessary stuff so recommending an IS-F wouldn't be logical. During normal and semi-spirited driving the IS350 and IS-F would be quite similar, from stop light to stop light the IS350 will be just as quick. The IS-F will just cost more to insure...a LOT more actually..waste more gas, higher cost maintenance ect. ect.

I would recommend a newer Acura TL SH AWD. Those things are pretty sporty, quick, reliable, and the SH AWD is probably the best in the business. It handles great in all climates and you can find low mileage clean examples for very good prices. Really underrated driver's car.
Old 03-19-14, 01:09 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Do what is in ur means.. If the isf is in the range go for that, theres always going to be maintenance on a used vehicle, so I would look into a used car which has a good maintenance cost, if the isf has the extended warranty it may be a good choice.
Old 03-19-14, 01:59 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

I would agree with jumpman i would either go within your means or below it. Isf would be nice but do you really need all that when you won't use its full potential and pay more to insure? Probably not... Just look into getting the ct & now u can ditch the rsx save a lot of money on gas & insurance and still have extra in hand for anything else. Or maybe the 3rd gen isx50 is another route still the same engine so maintenance will be a breeze and now u get a much more refined interior. A little pricey since its new ut since u still have another car can u wait till end of year when prices go down...
Its up to u but these days its smart to live within your means & below it then you are a genius and 1 step ahead of everyone else in terms of retirement and earlier the better!
Old 03-19-14, 02:29 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

down payment on a RC F

Quick Reply: Wife may have totaled our IS350 ... what next