IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driver Side Window Issue, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 09:57 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side Window Issue, please help!

I am having issues with my Driver side window on my 2006 IS250.

only when I use the automatic roll up, the window will roll all the way to the top, but then come back down about 2 inches.

If I use the manual roll up (dont pull the button up too hard), then it will go all the way up and stay there.

I checked my window track, and it looks clean, no debris or anything in there. I even sprayed some silicon lube in there.

The mechanic said it was most likely a bad motor and would need to be replaced. How can it be a bad motor if it it rolls up fine when I do the manual roll? Wouldnt this be some sort of electronic/programming issue? I am just wanting to know if something can be re-set, instead of me buying a new 400 dollar motor for my window out of annoyance.

I did disconnect the battery, plugged it back up, then tried the window, same problem persists.

Anyone have any advice? Will I indeed have to buy a new motor?
Old 03-12-14, 11:53 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

After disconnecting the battery, you have to "reset" the express window function on EACH window/door. On each door, lower the window all of the way while holding the button down for 5 seconds, and then immediately pull them back up and hold the button in the pull position for 5 seconds. Do this for each window and you should be good-to-go. If not, you've got a worse problem on your hands.

While the above is completed for all windows, you can then control the express function for each window on the driver's master window control panel.

GL!
Old 03-12-14, 01:01 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

thanks gville, always helpful. So disconnect, reconnect, bring down and hold 5 seconds, then bring back up and hold 5 seconds? I appreciate it, ill try it out
Old 03-12-14, 07:23 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Yes, the re-programming needs to be done every time the Battery is disconnected or something Resets your car's computer.
The reason it does this is because of Safety and Liability, the Auto-Express UP needs to "Learn" the Top and Bottom position so that it can identify if a finger or something else gets caught in between the window and the door frame, that is why it would drop down as a safety precaution.
Once it is programmed it should work as normal, and if you stick your finger or something else in between the window it will stop when if feels it has not gone all the way Up.
This is a similar function that needs to be programmed as with most SunRoof and Panoramic Glass roofs also.
Old 03-12-14, 08:53 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

ok, thanks guys, i will try to re-program tomorrow. if it works, i owe you all big time!
Old 03-13-14, 03:09 AM
freal
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
After disconnecting the battery, you have to "reset" the express window function on EACH window/door. On each door, lower the window all of the way while holding the button down for 5 seconds, and then immediately pull them back up and hold the button in the pull position for 5 seconds. Do this for each window and you should be good-to-go. If not, you've got a worse problem on your hands.

While the above is completed for all windows, you can then control the express function for each window on the driver's master window control panel.

GL!

Originally Posted by 2eXceL
Yes, the re-programming needs to be done every time the Battery is disconnected or something Resets your car's computer.
The reason it does this is because of Safety and Liability, the Auto-Express UP needs to "Learn" the Top and Bottom position so that it can identify if a finger or something else gets caught in between the window and the door frame, that is why it would drop down as a safety precaution.
Once it is programmed it should work as normal, and if you stick your finger or something else in between the window it will stop when if feels it has not gone all the way Up.
This is a similar function that needs to be programmed as with most SunRoof and Panoramic Glass roofs also.

could it be possible that it is triggering the safty mech because its catching the window molding along the door frame?

I only ask because he said it goes up and back down. (auto up is working but being triggerd to go down the 2 inches)

when you disconect and re-program doesnt the auto up and down function not work at all, that is why you have to re-program it back to all the windows.
Old 03-13-14, 12:06 PM
Gville350

^The above mentioned I've only read before happening to a member's sunroof, not the actually door windows. I believe it to have been a system error relating to the window's switches and its controls. Hopefully resetting everything and re-initializing the "express" controls will fix the issue. If not, it's indeed a deeper issue.
Old 03-13-14, 02:44 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

i still have yet to try it, but I will tomorrow, and will post my results. The Window Molding looks fine, and it does not appear to catch. I feel like its straight up malfunctioning or something. I'm going to keep my finger crossed that Gville's tactic will work.
Old 03-13-14, 07:35 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Gville, I owe you a beer. it worked!! very simple, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-14-14, 12:17 PM
Gville350

^Good point! LOL