IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Attempt at fixing that backseat windshield creaking!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 08:52 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempt at fixing that backseat windshield creaking!

ok, so here is my first attempt at fixing the back windshield creaking sound...WITH LEGOS!

soo sad..

http://imgur.com/LTiG7KX

if anyone has any other ideas on how to fix the back windshield creaking, please let me know.

Last edited by Downtuned; 03-12-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 04:43 PM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

I think there's a TSIB for this...I successfully got rid of my creakaliks using the gs 300 tsib pdf as a reference
Old 03-12-14, 08:53 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

hmm, interesting. No one else seems to know what I am talking about. Do you have a link to the pdf? or can you email it?
Old 03-13-14, 03:01 AM
freal
Driver

Originally Posted by Downtuned
hmm, interesting. No one else seems to know what I am talking about. Do you have a link to the pdf? or can you email it?
is it the creaking on hot days or all the time?
Old 03-13-14, 11:23 AM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Not for the faint of heart lol
Attached Files
Old 03-13-14, 12:42 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this fix that annoying rattle I get in my rear with my windows closed and as soon as I open them the rattle goes away
Old 03-13-14, 01:38 PM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

Yes, this will eliminate the sound...basically, the clip rubs against the metal and the only remedy is to cut a section of the clip off.
Old 03-13-14, 01:54 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gr33nHrn3t
Yes, this will eliminate the sound...basically, the clip rubs against the metal and the only remedy is to cut a section of the clip off.
Can you get to it without having to pull the whole liner out?
Old 03-13-14, 02:39 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

dude, the lego's worked. you know, the flat ones that barely slide in there. I put six of them equally spaced along the top lining where the inside of the back windshield meets the roof lining. Someone was also stating they fixed it by spraying silicone up there, but i would rather use spacers (legos) than spraying wet stuff onto the felt of the headliner.

Greenhornet, I am looking at that PDF, thank you for the link! So, is it saying there are 2 "glass stoppers" that need to have the tips cut? I am just trying to fix this permanently without taking apart my headlining assembly, or with legos.
Old 03-13-14, 02:48 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

dude, the lego's worked. you know, the flat ones that barely slide in there. I put six of them equally spaced along the top lining where the inside of the back windshield meets the roof lining. Someone was also stating they fixed it by spraying silicone up there, but i would rather use spacers (legos) than spraying wet stuff onto the felt of the headliner. Greenhornet, I am looking at that PDF, thank you for the link! So, is it saying there are 2 "glass stoppers" that need to have the tips cut? I am just trying to fix this permanently without taking apart my headlining assembly, or with legos.
Im about to do this when I get home just need to see if you can do it without taking the whole headline out... Im hoping it can be done by just pulling down on the back of the headline
Old 03-13-14, 04:02 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine I can't tell if its the 3rd brake light or this creaking from the clips....it's so annoying with my 12" sub running
Old 03-13-14, 04:24 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dannyboy26
Im about to do this when I get home just need to see if you can do it without taking the whole headline out... Im hoping it can be done by just pulling down on the back of the headline
danny, let us know what you find out.
Old 03-13-14, 10:46 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

danny, let us know what you find out.
So I tried to do this and its not an easy task and decided im just going to wait for a weekend and lots of time... So for now just put some felt tape across the back of the headliner as temp fix
Old 03-13-14, 11:21 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
Totally no offense to you, bro; but it's a shame that, after spending a lot of money on what is supposed to be a premium, executive sedan, that owners of such a car have to resort to such measures as long as their car is no longer under warranty and they don't relish throwing good money after bad. I would not expect that after buying something like a Lexus that I would have to fasten parts of my car with tape or otherwise fork over $$$ to repair this squeak/creak to which you refer. Good luck, bro. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that I will not experience the problem that you mentioned.
Squeaks, creaks, rattles galore with our cars bro it sucks since its a Lexus but with coils and on our Tucson bumpy roads those rattles drive you crazy...
Old 03-13-14, 11:36 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
I hear ya. I just ignore the creaks and pops coming from my dashboard. There's no way in hell I want my local Lexus dealer ripping apart my dash to fix it - TSB or no TSB.
After seeing how much work it would take to remove headliner and how easy it can be to break or crease the headliner I turned away lol so I had some tape which is pretty much like speaker foam 1/4" thick and cut a 3ft piece off and was able to sneak it right where the rear windshield meets the headliner cant even tell its there

Quick Reply: Attempt at fixing that backseat windshield creaking!