IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking about buying a used 2007 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 11:27 PM
patrickd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a used 2007 IS250

Hey guys. Im a newbie. Wanted to get some advice and opinions on this.
Thinking about buying a used 2007 IS250 from a family member. The car was bought new & now has about 45k miles and is in pretty good condition. They are asking for $18k and staying firm on the price b/c they want to use the money to pay off a new car they just bought. It doesnt have the luxury package or anything. It's basically a base model. I have looked at KBB and a car in excellent condition is ~ $18,200/(~$17,700 for very good condition) for a private party sale. The interesting thing is i put in the same info on Edmunds and it says the private sale is around $14,500. Not sure why there is a discrepancy. Do you think $18k is fair price? How does maintenance usually go for and has anyone had any major problems with their IS? FYI, this would be my first time owning a luxury vehicle. Thanks!

Last edited by patrickd; 03-03-14 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 02:00 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got one for my wife 09 with 28k miles for $21000 fully loaded. $16k is about right from a private owner with that mileage. Anyway, Make sure you get all the records from the dealer and ask them to show you was there any codes for a Check Engine light came on during all these years. If there was a history of a check engine ligh came on, what did they do to fix it, any parts has been replaced in that regards? Also, any open recall base on the vin# has been fixed? As fas as PM goes, it is fairly cheap to buy parts from Sewell Lexus parts online which one of this forum vendor and you will get a discount price when you register with Sewell website as a Clublexus member. Being said that only if you are handy with the tools or grease monkey, otherwise, the dealership will drain your pocket book every time for a service follow up. I did most of the PM myself, and I only bring to the dealership for any computer involve type of works which I don't have the expertise. My deaerlship is kind of nice base on the adviser I deal with, they sometime troubleshoot the small issue free of charge for me and I just bought the part from Sewell Lexus part and fix them myself. Save a lots of money that way if you are a grease monkey. The check engine light come on is the norm for the IS model from 2006-2010 based on people have been report on this forum. Did the search on this IS forum and you will see the issue for a check engine light came on. For reliability, I prefer Lexus, bc I owned an GS model and it gave me no issue as long as you do the PM base on the owner manual. The bottom line is that all mechanical and moving parts will brake down at some point whether a European or Japanese made model. So you might want to save about $700-$1000 aside in case there will be an issue so you got it cover. Also, this forum help save a lots of money too interms of any DIYs section and advises. Good luck.
Old 03-04-14, 06:06 AM
TheVille
Driver

Buy it, I love my 2007 IS250
Old 03-04-14, 08:45 AM
patrickd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ivnnln
I just got one for my wife 09 with 28k miles for $21000 fully loaded. $16k is about right from a private owner with that mileage. Anyway, Make sure you get all the records from the dealer and ask them to show you was there any codes for a Check Engine light came on during all these years. If there was a history of a check engine ligh came on, what did they do to fix it, any parts has been replaced in that regards? Also, any open recall base on the vin# has been fixed? As fas as PM goes, it is fairly cheap to buy parts from Sewell Lexus parts online which one of this forum vendor and you will get a discount price when you register with Sewell website as a Clublexus member. Being said that only if you are handy with the tools or grease monkey, otherwise, the dealership will drain your pocket book every time for a service follow up. I did most of the PM myself, and I only bring to the dealership for any computer involve type of works which I don't have the expertise. My deaerlship is kind of nice base on the adviser I deal with, they sometime troubleshoot the small issue free of charge for me and I just bought the part from Sewell Lexus part and fix them myself. Save a lots of money that way if you are a grease monkey. The check engine light come on is the norm for the IS model from 2006-2010 based on people have been report on this forum. Did the search on this IS forum and you will see the issue for a check engine light came on. For reliability, I prefer Lexus, bc I owned an GS model and it gave me no issue as long as you do the PM base on the owner manual. The bottom line is that all mechanical and moving parts will brake down at some point whether a European or Japanese made model. So you might want to save about $700-$1000 aside in case there will be an issue so you got it cover. Also, this forum help save a lots of money too interms of any DIYs section and advises. Good luck.
That's a good deal for a car that fully loaded and with only 28k miles. How did you arrive at $16k? Just curious. Looks like they are asking for KBB value(based on Excellent condition which is 3% of all cars they value) for the car. Who pays KBB for a used car nowadays? Also i know they've been involved in one or two accidents(most recently someone rear ended them on freeway) over the years and had to get the back bumper replaced. To me, that throws out the "Has never had any paint touch-ups and/or bodywork" which is a car in excellent condition. Correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-04-14, 08:50 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

If there is no major issue with the car even after getting hit then I would gladly pay 16k for it. I mean its a Lexus, its going to last you till 200,000 miles without much effort.

With that said, buy a 350 instead they have less problems. Make sure to read up on the carbon build up issue.
Old 03-04-14, 09:06 AM
00bolt
Driver School Candidate

i just bought a 2007 IS250 completely loaded with like every option except AWD and the upgraded stereo system.... but has HID lights, navigation, etc etc... and I got it for under $19k with around 60k miles
Old 03-04-14, 09:09 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

18k it's a very high price, I paid for mine 21k a year ago and it's a 2010 with nav , HID, 18" wheels and 33k miles.
You might find a better deal elsewhere.
Old 03-04-14, 01:45 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the price is high. It is just a base model with no package and it is 7 years old car. With 18k, you can even get a 2006 fully loaded IS350. check autotrader for similar car to get an idea how much it should cost but i know 18k for that car is high price.
Old 03-04-14, 05:46 PM
patrickd
Driver School Candidate

OK so I was reading a bit on what the 07 base model offers as standard equipment according to Edmunds. This car for sure has stock 18 inch rims,HIDs, heated seats. Not sure what package this would fall under or if they were just individual options included in the car when they bought it.
Old 03-04-14, 07:10 PM
DGNY2009
Driver

love my 09 going on 2 years now cheapest luxury car I've ever owned maintenance and repair costs are very fair if you can find a trust worthy repair shop I personally odder my parts online and have my mechanic install them good luck on the hunt
Old 03-04-14, 07:38 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
OK so I was reading a bit on what the 07 base model offers as standard equipment according to Edmunds. This car for sure has stock 18 inch rims,HIDs, heated seats. Not sure what package this would fall under or if they were just individual options included in the car when they bought it.
The rims and HID can be brought separately without any kind of package. Does the car have wood trim interior? If it does, it has the premium package; otherwise it's just base.

And what kind of family is this? Tried to sell you a car for a lot more that than what it is worth He's owing more money than the car is worth is irrelevant to the value of the car. Tell him this, tried to sell the car to the dealer, and whatever the dealer offer, you give him $1000 more (or 15% depending).
Old 03-04-14, 08:15 PM
patrickd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
The rims and HID can be brought separately without any kind of package. Does the car have wood trim interior? If it does, it has the premium package; otherwise it's just base.

And what kind of family is this? Tried to sell you a car for a lot more that than what it is worth He's owing more money than the car is worth is irrelevant to the value of the car. Tell him this, tried to sell the car to the dealer, and whatever the dealer offer, you give him $1000 more (or 15% depending).
No it doesn't have wood trim so pretty sure its base other wise. Lol a sibling. He's giving me the 'well I've babied the car over the years and its got low miles for 7 year old car' reason. He knows the dealership would low ball him so he's going to try to do private sale like craigslist if I don't buy it. I question if anyone would give him $18k(around kbb value) for it.
Old 03-05-14, 05:04 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know he's a family member but I would walk away from his deal. I purchase my 08 3 years ago fully loaded for 18k with a warranty. Honestly if you never own a luxury car before the dealer service to you is going to be a huge shock.
Old 03-05-14, 06:21 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The first rule of buying an IS250 is to not buy an IS250. Buy an IS350. Definitely worth the extra bit.
Old 03-05-14, 06:38 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

^ i do agree. But this depends on ur financial situation. They can fluctuate 3-6 k depending on year a mileage. If you just want the "luxury" aspect than a 250 is fine. If you need that + a lil more power than the 350 is the wayto go.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a used 2007 IS250