IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

09 350 Tranny Fluid Change

Old 03-01-14, 09:48 PM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 09 350 Tranny Fluid Change

So before anyone starts saying, " Its lifetime fluid or you don't need to" can I ask how often those of you who don't believe that hydraulic fluids last FOREVER, Which they don't.

How often do you change your tranny fluids?
Old 03-01-14, 11:30 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt. But if you must change it every 100k
Old 03-02-14, 08:47 AM
bboysunone
Driver

I changed mine at 100 k too. Just because . I mean nothing last forever. It's always using the same fluids so must be dirty or old at some point. It also make me feel better driving the car knowing all fluids are flushe/drained n replaced with a new fluids.
Old 03-02-14, 12:06 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the IS has a sealed transmission is technically its NOT supposed to be changed. There has been recent threads discussing that. However it is not IMPOSSIBLE to drain the tranny fluid. The fluid can be drained from a bold on the bottom side of the tranny BUT there is no fill hole for it still making it a bad decision to attempt to drain the fluid.
Old 03-02-14, 06:18 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Well, technically speaking... it would be every 100k miles you would change it since it's "World Standard" and has a use life of 100k miles. I'm not sure if shops would have a flushing machine to flush all the fluid out or not. If they don't, its just a drain and fill of the pan.
Old 03-02-14, 06:20 PM
MadDane
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
the IS has a sealed transmission is technically its NOT supposed to be changed. There has been recent threads discussing that. However it is not IMPOSSIBLE to drain the tranny fluid. The fluid can be drained from a bold on the bottom side of the tranny BUT there is no fill hole for it still making it a bad decision to attempt to drain the fluid.

My wifes 06 gs300 Was"Sealed" as well and I drained and filled it, if there's a drain hole there's a fill hole.
Old 03-02-14, 09:23 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealer charged me $300 to exchange about 6qt on my 2006 IS350. I dont think it is possible to drain and fill without Techstream (sp?)
Old 03-03-14, 05:04 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by pheonix72
My dealer charged me $300 to exchange about 6qt on my 2006 IS350. I dont think it is possible to drain and fill without Techstream (sp?)
Thats basically correct with a lot of vehicles now. When i was in a dealership I had a few customers call and ask how to fill the trans back up after they had already drained it. Most would just tow it in and let us finish it. I had a few customers try and "wing it" and the results were costly.

The transmission has to be warmed up to a specific temp (i think there was a 5 degree varience) to ensure the fluid is at the right level. Check it when its too hot and the fluid will end up being low, check when its too cold and you will over fill. Both will be bad down the road.

Not saying it cant be done with out a tech stream but its a crapshoot.
Old 03-03-14, 08:59 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MadDane
My wifes 06 gs300 Was"Sealed" as well and I drained and filled it, if there's a drain hole there's a fill hole.
Somone correct me if I am wrong but the GS300's back in 06 had completely different transmissions and was NOT sealed transmissions before the overhaul in 07 when the GS and the IS350 shared the same drive train. The GS300's has a transmission drain plug and dip stick and filler hole. The IS as well as the newer GS (if i recall) don't have trans dipsticks. MY IS DOES NOT have a transmission dipstick to even check the fluid levels
Old 03-06-14, 10:49 AM
MadDane
Rookie

Could someone please define " Tech Stream"?

I'm not willing to run my Is as hard as I do without changing the tranny fluid every 50k.

For what it's worth my wifes 06 tranny had to be drained and filled a couple of times to cycle through all the old tranny fluid. (Toyota wanted $350 to do a tranny fluid flush).

At 100k it was brown and foul smelling, with 90% freeway driving. The new fluid was bright red.

Thanks,

Claus
Old 03-06-14, 11:45 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Techstream is a laptop used by Toyota/Lexus dealerships to gain access to the ECU and other computers/sensors on the vehicle. It allows for programming updates, customizations, data logging, pulling DTCs, etc...you can buy a new techstream 2 for just $4k now

There is a drain and fill plug on the trans pan, but you will only get about 1 quart or less out of the pan, so it is not worth it. There is no dipstick or cooler lines to hook a flush machine up to, so no option there either. My recommendation would be the same as the engineers that designed and built the car (who probably know a lot more than we do about this) and don't touch it.
Old 03-06-14, 12:02 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Tech Stream is a toyota Diagnostic tool that they use when doing big jobs like that. I was reading a tranny flush PDF that says the TCU has to be reflashed every time you attempt to remove the fluid. Not every shop has it but toyota/lexus dealerships should have it. If the tranny gets below a certain liquid level, then the TCU throws a permanent code that can only be solved by a dealership flash. (not sure but thats how my honda was so just assuming its the same technology)

I think what everyone was referringto was that transmission flush machine that replaces the fluid with fresh fluid as it takes out the old fluid.
Old 07-23-14, 02:27 PM
MadDane
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
You are wrong NYKnick101!!!

I just drained and refilled and drained my 09 IS350 tranny just like I did on my wifes 06 GS300.

Fill hole is on drivers side 23mm under black plastic cover.

I did what many people here advice if they don't want to pay $300+ for a Lexus/Toyota flush.

Drain, refill. Run for 5-10 minutes, drain refill. At 55000 miles my fluid was dark. after 2 drain refills it's now pink, clear and like new.

I will do this every 50k, which is recommended for Canadian and European owners.
Old 07-23-14, 03:08 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=MadDane;8638715]

"Drain, refill. Run for 5-10 minutes, drain refill. At 55000 miles my fluid was dark. after 2 drain refills it's now pink, clear and like new."

How many quarts did you remove/replace with the 2 drain/refills?
Old 07-23-14, 05:34 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MadDane
Fill hole is on drivers side 23mm under black plastic cover.
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that would you? I'd like to do want you just described; I did the same thing on my 'ol Mitsu with 8qts of auto trans fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 350 Tranny Fluid Change