IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AC Vent smell (yes, this again)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 02:05 PM
fieldsphot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC Vent smell (yes, this again)

OK, so I HAVE searched the forums and read all the topics on this lovely subject. So my nice expensive Lexus smells like mildew when I switch from A/C to non-A/C or vice versa. The smell lingers if the A/C is off and it has been warm outside. I am driving a 2009 with 105K miles, BTW and I live in the desert. So dry air, but HOT in the summer.

Here is what I AM doing/HAVE done to try to mitigate this issue:
- Heater blast out method - driving with heater on full blast for like 20 minutes several times. No effect on smell
- Always setting circulation to fresh air (sometimes I forget - the car defaults to recirculate, which is awesome). No effect on smell
- Driving without A/C compressor on ever. This probably works the longest to mitigate the smell, but I can only do this when the weather allows, so during the summer it gets ugly
- Turning off A/C in summer 10 minutes before pakring car after a long drive. (This is what the dealer told me was the "fix".) Seems to have no effect and impractical when running short errands on a 104 degree day
- Sprayed Autozone bought A/C cleaner into the windshield intake and the center front vents - oooh, this was a bad idea - now it just smells like chemicals and mildew

I do not want to try Lysol or Febreeze in the vents, as I expect that will have the same result as the Autozone cleaner - just covers up the smell and is worse overall.

So, the anwer is I need to get at the source and clean the evaporator core. I am down to two more options before I look at biting the bullet and spending the several thousand to replace the compressor and start fresh.

- DWD2 Evaporator foaming cleaner with the hole drilled into the A/C intake to inject it. The only thing I worry is that this stuff has a scent and will just be the same as the previous A/C cleaner . Anyone who has used this - does it have a smell?-
Taking apart the blower motor and cleaning out the intake plenum and possibly spraying Ozium on the evaporator coils directly http://my.is/forums/f221/how-get-mus...ioning-330597/ Anyone here tried this? Does Ozium smell?

The thing that sucks is we have an Acura of the same age without this problem at all. When you turn the vehicle off, the fan automatically runs for 10-15 minutes and dries out the A/C system. Problem solved, no odor ever, even when using A/C all through the summer. Why Lexus can't do this, I don't know. So I know it is a design flaw that causes this, not "user error" as the dealer seems to think.
Old 02-25-14, 02:13 PM
TheVille
Driver

I work at a car dealership and for things like this we have a special tool called an "ionizer" what it does is you close up the entire car and open the driver window hurt enough to get the ionizer tube in, than you have to somehow cover up the other open parts [we use towels]. For really bad smelling cars we usually leave the ionizer on for 8-12 hours. This ionizer basically takes all the oxygen out of the car. It works really well for cars that smell super smokey. Don't know if a local dealership would have one or you could rent one, maybe it will work!
Hope this helps!
Cole
Old 02-25-14, 02:53 PM
fieldsphot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheVille
I work at a car dealership and for things like this we have a special tool called an "ionizer" what it does is you close up the entire car and open the driver window hurt enough to get the ionizer tube in, than you have to somehow cover up the other open parts [we use towels]. For really bad smelling cars we usually leave the ionizer on for 8-12 hours. This ionizer basically takes all the oxygen out of the car. It works really well for cars that smell super smokey. Don't know if a local dealership would have one or you could rent one, maybe it will work!
Hope this helps!
Cole
Worth a shot - my current dealer doesn't offer it (or they would have already tried to sell me the service, I assume), but I will check around and see if someone else does offer it.
Old 02-25-14, 03:25 PM
510to808
Pole Position

I got the same or similar problem, but I rarely use my a/c but when I do it smells. I want to try the a/c refresher kit from Sewell, has anyone tried it ? Does it work/help ?
Old 02-25-14, 03:37 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Spray Lysol orange or lemon 99% bacteria killer like a **** i mean like a **** under hood/ front windshield, then blast the heat out side air/ non recycle air.
2/5 minutes
Works like a charm for aloooooooong time
Old 02-25-14, 03:38 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ac refresher kit works, but you need access from below. Got this done at dealership.
Old 02-25-14, 03:48 PM
510to808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
The ac refresher kit works, but you need access from below. Got this done at dealership.
Did they charge you, how much if they did? Wondering if my dealership where I bought the car would do it for free my car is still under the 100k mile warranty ..
Old 02-25-14, 05:08 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's about $100, probably cheaper at a Toyota dealer. My car is under warranty as well but it was not free. Ask your service advisor

Last edited by Noeh; 02-25-14 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-25-14, 05:35 PM
510to808
Pole Position

Definitely worth the 100$ ill forsure try toyota before overpriced lexus..
Old 02-25-14, 05:51 PM
Boy1109
Driver

I have the same issue and my is a 2012 with only 18k. Smh. Is there a known recall?
Old 02-25-14, 06:29 PM
is350DAWG
Driver School Candidate

I use Wurth A/C System Treatment. It works really well.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/w-089...l#.Uw1RTf1Lq0s
Old 02-25-14, 06:49 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

go to walmart and get some lysol $5 just turn A/C on full blast and air recirculate from out side then pop the hood and spray it into the vent right underneath the windshield and let it run for about 5-10 min and do this couple of time until smell is gone.
Old 02-25-14, 07:04 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

Car Mate Ionized Dedorizer
http://www.carmate.co.jp/english/pro...ategory_id=118
Old 02-26-14, 10:00 AM
fieldsphot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boy1109
I have the same issue and my is a 2012 with only 18k. Smh. Is there a known recall?
I wish there was one, sigh. As far as I know there isn't even a TSB. Every time I mention it to the dealer, I am told that I am "doing it wrong" in some manner and it is my fault for operating the A/C when it is hot. I should somehow know that the default manner in which the climate control works is going to cause smells, and of course I should be digging through the menus to turn off the A/C each time (the 2009 doesn't have a dedicated A/C button). WTF. It is ridiculus.

I expect the only way Lexus would recall it is if several people made mold health claims and sued or something.

Edit: LOL - someone is already trying to start a class action: http://www.lieffcabraser.com/Case-Center/Lexus-AC-Mold.shtml

Last edited by fieldsphot; 02-26-14 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added link for additional info
Old 02-26-14, 12:51 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/2403.html

^This...and following directions carefully!

Quick Reply: AC Vent smell (yes, this again)