Buying a used IS 2007-2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 10:24 AM
zach10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used IS 2007-2010

hi Guys this is my first post,
this question might have been asked before but i was not able to find it.

I am planning to buy a Lexus IS. Actually either a bmw 3 series or mercedes c class or IS.
I want an all wheel drive cos of the snow here

so coming from a Camry car, my questions are:
I am planning to buy a used IS 2007 onwards
with less then 70k miles on it.

compare to camry what should I be expecting repair wise for Lexus. i know its the same company so i am expecting less repairs compare to bmw and mercedes.

roughly how much per year.
also can i get an extended warranty on it even if its used (do i even need extended warranty)

any other particular thing I should be aware of ?
Any specific year model I should avoid.
I will appreciate all the answers, feedback

thanks alot
Old 02-23-14, 06:13 PM
dabIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by zach10

I am planning to buy a Lexus IS. Actually either a bmw 3 series or mercedes c class or IS.

compare to camry what should I be expecting repair wise for Lexus. i know its the same company so i am expecting less repairs compare to bmw and mercedes.

also can i get an extended warranty on it even if its used (do i even need extended warranty)

thanks alot

The IS250 is no Camry in terms of reliability. Search for "carbon buildup," "melting dashboard," "dash squeaks." It's an urban myth that attributes Toyota quality across the board to the Lexus IS. My advice: get a 2011-2013, with the upgraded engine.
Old 02-23-14, 06:21 PM
LDNN
Driver

This is my third year with my 2007 IS250; at 87000 miles without any major repairs thus far (knock on wood) just oil changes, a set of tires. If you are looking at a BMW, do yourself a favor and go on Bimmerfest forum and see for yourself what kind of problems these things have. I owned a 2000 GS300 and I loved it until the day I sold it to move to Singapore, four years later I came back and wanted something different, I went with a BMW 325 IC convertible, it looked great but man that was a mistake...huge mistake! In less than a year I got smacked with almost $5K in repairs. A/C, major oil leaks, all kinds of electrical problems. I wised up and sold it and got my current IS250.

You see, on Club Lexus almost all anyone ever worries about and asking are mods, how to mod this mod that...while on the Bimmerfest, almost everyone is asking how to fix this how to repair that....So, short story long, go with the Lexus and have the peace of mind and put your repair money toward a down payment for the next Lexus.
Old 02-23-14, 06:32 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zach10

thanks alot
If you want AWD i assume you are looking at is250.
The main problem with IS250 is carbon build up. like most direct injection engine. Altho I think Lexus suffer more than others. This issue was fixed I think with 2010 models.
On the 2007-2008 another big issue was the navigation screen going bad. Melting dash, a lot of rattling.
Another one is water pump failure premature. Make sure the spark plugs were changed at 60k miles
With all those inconvenience I don;t think you'll have a problem that would get you bankrupt even tho IS250 is not the most reliable Lexus the repairs are affordable.
As advice I would drive the IS250 a lot before deciding. It is a very slow car and very bad on mileage for the power, especially the AWD.
Not familiar with BMW or MErcedes but I'm sure you can get good feedback on their forums.
Old 02-24-14, 06:33 AM
zach10
Driver School Candidate

Default thank you for all the replies

thanks alot for the feedback guys, I could not imagine Lexus having so many problems. As of now i will not be able to afford the 2010-2011 model. i might look for a GS as i have seen a couple 2007 in my price range with less mileage,
i think for that i have to ask in GS forum about the problems. Once again, thanks for the replies.
Appreciate it
Old 02-24-14, 12:08 PM
tungc124
Driver School Candidate

I think the above problems only applies to certain vehicles... I have an 09 which i purchased used. Only problem i've had was the condensation build-up in ac vent which i think it's an easy DIY fix.

I would purchase 2010 model year if you are thinking 07~10. HDD navi instead of DVD base with A2DP bluetooth audio streaming (you'll want this feature to save you an aftermarket bluetooth adapter hassle.)

Good Luck on the purchase, hope you get the best deal of whichever vehicle you decide to purchase!
Old 02-24-14, 12:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

What is your budget? If you can swing it, I'd HIGHLY recommend the IS350 AWD model to avoid any carbon build-up issues that the IS250 seems to often have.
Old 02-24-14, 12:27 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
What is your budget? If you can swing it, I'd HIGHLY recommend the IS350 AWD model to avoid any carbon build-up issues that the IS250 seems to often have.
I might be wrong but doesnt the 350 has a big oil leak problem that might cost $3k to fix. I think i saw a thread not too long ago. At least the carbon build up is covered free by lexus.
I would definitely choose the IS350 over 250 any day.
Old 02-24-14, 12:29 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^That is a RARE problem that could really happen to ANY 2IS. It is simply a front engine cover oil leak; the problem is to fix the leak it takes SOOOOO much labor/time to fix it.
Old 02-24-14, 12:31 PM
sc00b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will not look back after buying a Lexus IMO