IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Yet another LED DRL Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 09:48 AM
tungc124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have the ijdmtoy DRL kit with decoder. I that what Cali2IS said was correct. During the day, DRL will come on Auto setting. During night time, DRL will not come on when low beam is on, unless you push in or push back (like how you do with high beam). I think it is already the way it should perform. No need to worry.

Also, how did you fit your decoder? i do not think you can fit it into the housing with that casing..
Old 02-20-14, 10:00 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tungc124
I too have the ijdmtoy DRL kit with decoder. I that what Cali2IS said was correct. During the day, DRL will come on Auto setting. During night time, DRL will not come on when low beam is on, unless you push in or push back (like how you do with high beam). I think it is already the way it should perform. No need to worry. Also, how did you fit your decoder? i do not think you can fit it into the housing with that casing..

With a little push you can fit it in the housing, I was able to fit mine right in... Try to angle it right below where the bulb goes in, and with on hand lightly pull up on the bulb housing as you push the decoder in just a little force and you are good and it helps to remove the bulb first
Old 02-20-14, 11:15 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

@Deegee, money is sitting in the bank for a down on a house. I had a daily Civic I still commute in.
Old 02-20-14, 11:21 AM
tungc124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannyboy26
With a little push you can fit it in the housing, I was able to fit mine right in... Try to angle it right below where the bulb goes in, and with on hand lightly pull up on the bulb housing as you push the decoder in just a little force and you are good and it helps to remove the bulb first
I actually just took out the casing instead. And, wrapped electrical tape over it. Works great and i can easily take it out. The method is told by another member on this forum.
Old 02-20-14, 11:24 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually just took out the casing instead. And, wrapped electrical tape over it. Works great and i can easily take it out. The method is told by another member on this forum.
That works too didnt think about that but I just left it alone since I was able to fit it through
Old 02-20-14, 11:25 AM
nippiexfam
Driver School Candidate

my ijdm comes tomorrow. how is the wrapped electrical tape working so far before I try that method?
Old 02-20-14, 11:45 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have the ijdmtoy DRL kit with decoder. I that what Cali2IS said was correct. During the day, DRL will come on Auto setting. During night time, DRL will not come on when low beam is on, unless you push in or push back (like how you do with high beam). I think it is already the way it should perform. No need to worry.

Also, how did you fit your decoder? i do not think you can fit it into the housing with that casing..
I actually left the dust covers off. I requested the slim ones from the vendor but they said that they discontinued the slim ones in 2013. I plan on taking the decoders apart and wrapping them in heat sink wrap as mentioned by a few members here and also the vendor

Originally Posted by Sffd103
@Deegee, money is sitting in the bank for a down on a house. I had a daily Civic I still commute in.
Ah good to hear, I was hoping to see something exciting come outta the loss of a iconic IS on these forums.
Old 02-20-14, 01:09 PM
tungc124
Driver School Candidate

After you took out the casing, you wouldnt want to over tape the circuit board. don't tape the front & back of the battery thingy on board. it will possibly burn the circuit board and your fuse.
Old 02-20-14, 01:10 PM
tungc124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nippiexfam
my ijdm comes tomorrow. how is the wrapped electrical tape working so far before I try that method?
It holding up good so far. Nothing usual since i inspected last week when i was working on something else.
Old 02-20-14, 01:23 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It holding up good so far. Nothing usual since i inspected last week when i was working on something else.
So you manage to tuck everything including the circuit board in the DRL housing and wrap it with electric tape?
Old 02-21-14, 03:06 PM
tungc124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Deegee
So you manage to tuck everything including the circuit board in the DRL housing and wrap it with electric tape?
Yes, Once you took out the casing, the housing will have plenty of room to fit the decoder circuit board.
Old 02-21-14, 10:00 PM
1stGenIS
Driver School Candidate

I have LED DRL's and deal with the flashing LED's since I can't fit the decoder in the housing with the cover on. It really doesn't bother me. Maybe one day I will drill holes and seal it with some flex seal. Glad you figured out that the 194 bulb was on instead of your DRL's being dimmed even more than they already are..
Old 02-22-14, 09:32 AM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

So this disables the "high beam" function, correct? I'd like to lose the ugly yellow incandescent DRL bulb in there now, but don't know if I want to sacrifice my high beams.

Also, If the lights are set to auto, the DRL's turn off at night when the headlights turn on?
Old 02-22-14, 09:50 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by allntrl
So this disables the "high beam" function, correct? I'd like to lose the ugly yellow incandescent DRL bulb in there now, but don't know if I want to sacrifice my high beams.

Also, If the lights are set to auto, the DRL's turn off at night when the headlights turn on?
This is correct. Once the headlights are on the DRL goes off. This is what my V LEd's looked like. Last pic with 6000K headlights and fogs.
Attached Thumbnails Yet another LED DRL Problem-derrick-mance-sacramento.jpg   Yet another LED DRL Problem-d-mance-photo-shoot-black-white.jpg   Yet another LED DRL Problem-1-rolling.jpg  

Last edited by Sffd103; 02-22-14 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 09:57 AM
allntrl
Driver School Candidate

Your looks awesome, man. Might spring for these. I assume you've replaced the parking lights with led's as well? Which brand do you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Yet another LED DRL Problem