IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Pan Threads "worn", need new SO CAL service place recommendation

Old 02-18-14, 11:35 AM
fieldsphot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Threads "worn", need new SO CAL service place recommendation

Sorry for the long story.
TLDR version: I think I got screwed at Lexus of Valencia and I need a recommendation for a new service place near the Antelope Valley in So Cal.

I have been servicing my 2009 IS250 at Lexus of Valencia since I moved to the area back in 2010. Prior to that I serviced it at Sewell Lexus where I bought it in Texas. So the oil has ALWAYS been changed by Lexus mechanics.

This weekend I take the car in for its 105,000 maintenance. I am told the oil pan threads are "worn" and that "just happens over time". They offered the oversized drain plug, but I opted for the pan replacement, as I know the re-tapping of the pan is a temporary fix at best. I am paying for the repair.

I hadn't ever heard of oil pans being a "wear" item, so I figured they had just been over tightening the plug over time. I complained that I felt this was a workmanship issue, and they claim they torque every plug to Lexus's specs. He did make a comment that it was possible Sewell damaged the plug, but I would have expected that to have shown up earlier than now. They offered a 10% discount on the bill. I am not going to fight that anymore, they have done what they are going to do.

At this point I am pretty sure they are the cuplrit here, and now I think I need a new place to service my vehicle. I live in the Antelope Valley so it looks like the next closest are Glendale and Keyes at Van Nuys. Longo is too far away to be a good option for me, although I know a lot of folks here recommend them.

Any advice, or experiences with these dealer service centers? I prefer to use a Lexus dealer at this point, unless someone knows a good independant shop that employs certified Lexus/Toyota techs. Or maybe I am overreacting and this really is pretty common at 105K to need to replace the pan?
Old 02-18-14, 12:37 PM
dabIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fieldsphot
Sorry for the long story.
TLDR version: I think I got screwed at Lexus of Valencia and I need a recommendation for a new service place near the Antelope Valley in So Cal.

I have been servicing my 2009 IS250 at Lexus of Valencia since I moved to the area back in 2010. Prior to that I serviced it at Sewell Lexus where I bought it in Texas. So the oil has ALWAYS been changed by Lexus mechanics.

This weekend I take the car in for its 105,000 maintenance. I am told the oil pan threads are "worn" and that "just happens over time". They offered the oversized drain plug, but I opted for the pan replacement, as I know the re-tapping of the pan is a temporary fix at best. I am paying for the repair.

I hadn't ever heard of oil pans being a "wear" item, so I figured they had just been over tightening the plug over time. I complained that I felt this was a workmanship issue, and they claim they torque every plug to Lexus's specs. He did make a comment that it was possible Sewell damaged the plug, but I would have expected that to have shown up earlier than now. They offered a 10% discount on the bill. I am not going to fight that anymore, they have done what they are going to do.

At this point I am pretty sure they are the cuplrit here, and now I think I need a new place to service my vehicle. I live in the Antelope Valley so it looks like the next closest are Glendale and Keyes at Van Nuys. Longo is too far away to be a good option for me, although I know a lot of folks here recommend them.

Any advice, or experiences with these dealer service centers? I prefer to use a Lexus dealer at this point, unless someone knows a good independant shop that employs certified Lexus/Toyota techs. Or maybe I am overreacting and this really is pretty common at 105K to need to replace the pan?
Worn oil pan threads--now there's a new one. I'd ask to inspect the threads and to verify in my presence that the oil pan cannot handle the proper torque. (If the oil has only been changed at Lexus dealerships, then Lexus should cover this, if the problem is indeed as claimed. There's no way, if torqued properly, that the oil pan threads should be worn. They don't just "wear over time." Grrr ...)

Last edited by dabIS; 02-18-14 at 12:44 PM.