IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 is terrible in snow

Old 02-06-14, 05:04 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 is terrible in snow

so Portland got it's first snow of any amount since 2008. less that one inch on the roads, with new Michelin AS tires..and even a very minor hill…no traction at all.

I was in snow mode, not much help..turning off traction control gave me the ability to at leas get the tires spinning…and get some movement..Next car will be AWD for sure..
Old 02-06-14, 05:10 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Here your first mistake driving rwd with A/S tires. Here in the north east we just got 13inch of snow. I drove home threw the storm with out any issues. Why? Cause I know my car to drive it with traction and vsc off. Two I run snow tires to get the best of traction. I always state this to every one snow mode does nothing to help you with traction. Snow tires does. If that was the first snow since 08 why would you need awd. It be point less that just me.

Last edited by laobo979; 02-06-14 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-06-14, 05:13 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laobo979
Here your first mistake driving rwd with A/S tires. Here in the north east we just got 13inch of snow. I drive home threw the storm with out any issues. Why? Cause I know my car to drive it with traction and vsc off. Two I run snow tires to get the best of traction. I always state this to every one snow mode does nothing to help you with traction. Snow tires does.
Do you salt the roads? We don't. Do you have plows that plow side streets? We don't. As we get snow of any quantity every 5 years or so..no value in buying dedicated snow tires..although you are correct that makes a huge difference..I also agree snow mode is a joke..it just changes the transmission timing and has no impact on traction…
Old 02-06-14, 05:27 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in northern va, we have snow and ice. This is my second winter in the 350. I have Michelin pilot sport A/S tires and I'm generally in good shape while in snow mode (start in second gear, shifts at lower rpms, slower accel,etc)
. You just have to take it easy.
Old 02-06-14, 05:33 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Default OK Snow area drivers..

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Here in northern va, we have snow and ice. This is my second winter in the 350. I have Michelin pilot sport A/S tires and I'm generally in good shape while in snow mode (start in second gear, shifts at lower rpms, slower accel,etc)
. You just have to take it easy.
What's the trick to being in snow mode..lightly pressing the accelerator and just get 'traction control lock', where the traction control can't get a grip so basically nothing happens?
Old 02-06-14, 05:45 PM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just recently had a LARGE amount of ice accumulation in south MS. First time in over 15 years anything like that happened.

What Laobo is trying to say, is that the issue is not with the car. It is with the fact that your tires are simply not made for Snow. I also have A/S tires on my car.. no way I would expect them to work in even an inch of snow.

Also, Laobo makes a valid point. You just had your first view of snow since 2008.. 6 years. Is getting an AWD car, which would normally cost more, worth it when you MAY see snow one day every 2190 days?

The best thing you can do when it snows in an area that normally does not get snow, if you can, is just stay off the roads.
Old 02-06-14, 05:59 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
We just recently had a LARGE amount of ice accumulation in south MS. First time in over 15 years anything like that happened.

What Laobo is trying to say, is that the issue is not with the car. It is with the fact that your tires are simply not made for Snow. I also have A/S tires on my car.. no way I would expect them to work in even an inch of snow.

Also, Laobo makes a valid point. You just had your first view of snow since 2008.. 6 years. Is getting an AWD car, which would normally cost more, worth it when you MAY see snow one day every 2190 days?

The best thing you can do when it snows in an area that normally does not get snow, if you can, is just stay off the roads.
Agree with all your points..but I'm not getting a new car now…WHEN I get a new car it will be AWD..
Old 02-06-14, 06:02 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I had Cooper A/S tires on my FWD Accord way back, and I could drive it no problem in 3-4 inches of snow, salted/plowed or not. The trick is to be easy on the throttle. You may be accelerating too quickly, causing the tires to break loose much easier. Snow mode on this car does exactly what VTsuckah said.

AWD really isn't necessary even with snow, its just that you're not used to it. But if you want it for peace of mind, by all means. That's why I got it lol
Old 02-06-14, 06:22 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I have RWD... previously would not drive it if there was any snow on the ground... even just 1/2". Then someone convinced me to buy snow tires. WOW - what a difference. I have blizzak ws-60's and the car is totally fine in the snow now. Snow tires are one of the best purchases I have made for this car.
Old 02-06-14, 08:00 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah i think its more tire choice vs the car itself. i can see where the torque of the is350 might be an issue in sketchy conditions but the right tire choice will help tons vs a whole other car purchase. just my own .02
Old 02-06-14, 08:57 PM
topspeed55
Driver

the 255's in the rear don't help either. I have dedicated winter tires on all four and the 255's are just too wide to bite down when I try to go up a steep snowy hill.
Old 02-06-14, 09:08 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD is nice to have, but is it worth the extra money when snow accumulates maybe once every 5 or so years?
Old 02-06-14, 09:13 PM
Aversed
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Today was a snowy day in Dallas, and my IS250 had it's first snow day.

Needless to say, traveling to school was one heck of an adventure. I got stuck in a little depression in my school parking lot, and there were some slipping and sliding, but other than that, nothing major. This is my first RWD car, so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to perform in bad weather condition.

Running on Michelin A/S3.
Old 02-06-14, 11:21 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Do you salt the roads? We don't. Do you have plows that plow side streets? We don't. As we get snow of any quantity every 5 years or so..no value in buying dedicated snow tires..although you are correct that makes a huge difference..I also agree snow mode is a joke..it just changes the transmission timing and has no impact on traction…
The car isn't the problem - as others have said it's the tires. Any RWD car will likely have traction issues in the snow when equipped with AS tires. It doesn't necessarily have to snow to justify getting snow tires. Once the temperature drops below 45 degrees, you will get significantly more traction with snow vs summer or AS tires.

Also, getting AWD with all seasons will get you going in the snow but then you have the other problem - you won't be able to stop.

With AS tires, all you can do is be gentle on throttle. Snow mode will help but it's not a magic button that will get you traction.

I have the MIchelin Xi3 and I get more traction than AWD cars with AS tires.
Old 02-07-14, 04:39 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Snow tires are the key! I drive my car 40 miles one way to work everyday and did fine the storm we had here on Tuesday (and every single one prior). Once i got to work a few co-workers, all who drive 4wd trucks or AWD SUVs, were surprised to see me pull into the un-plowed parking lot and make it through to my normal parking spot in the back lot. And truthfully, I was a little surprised, but mostly happy I made it through the parking lot because I never would have heard the end of it if they had to help me out!

Now if I left my all seasons on, I wouldnt have made it out of my driveway in the first place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 is terrible in snow