Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

IS350 is terrible in snow

Old 02-17-14, 02:27 PM   #46
SPS
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Yes, the IS35 is poor in the snow. Not much weight in the back, and rims are a little wide. I have Blizzaks, and in my opinion, the traction in snow is poor. Worst part is the traction control. Way, way, way too sensitive. Slightest bit of wheel-spin and it shuts down the power. I turn it off if going through deep snow.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 02-18-14, 11:36 AM   #47
Jaytea
Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Justrieu

Canada reporting in. First winter with my 07 is350, however the first snowflake that fell I was already in the shop switching out my stock 18s for winter tires. Go to Home Depot or hardware store equivalent and buy two bags of traction sand, it's good for weight, and if you get stuck you can pour it under your wheels. Also I have a telescopic shovel In the back for emergencies ,and keep the tank full. Always. You never know how long you're stuck for if it happens.

As many have said, preparation is key.
Jaytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 11:45 AM   #48
galvatron
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone who lives in areas with annual snowfall switch out your tires each season? Just wondering what to do when summer comes. Anyone have 2 sets?
galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 12:23 PM   #49
sm1ke
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

sm1ke_ sm1ke

Yup, I have a set of winter tires and used to have a set of summer wheels (just sold them off and ordered new ones, still need to get tires).
sm1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 12:37 PM   #50
vapid2323
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
Does anyone who lives in areas with annual snowfall switch out your tires each season? Just wondering what to do when summer comes. Anyone have 2 sets?
I have two sets and I live in Seattle WA. While we don't get a ton of snow, my winter sets last for quite a few years I see no issues with swapping every season.

IMO, if you have a chance of getting snow or being in snow, I would have a second set.
Old 02-20-14, 08:26 PM   #51
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (14)

@MrG4Life
Send a message via AIM to MrG4Life

I'm going to chime in on this subject. This is the first time my wife has driven her IS250 RWD in the snow since getting it three years ago and she isn't comfortable in it when driving on snow covered roads. She is use to driving in the snow but this is probably the first time she has driven a RWD car. I too am comfortable with driving in the snow but I was forced to buy Blizzaks for my GS300 which in my opinion sucks in the snow. Once the Blizzaks were installed, I hardly experienced any fishtailing and wheel spin. I still have my GS but since buying an Acura RL AWD, I have had no need to use my GS to drive in the snow. Starting next winter, I will be mounting the OEM wheels and Blizzak tires from my GS onto her car to see how that helps. She has had thoughts of trading the car in and getting another vehicle but we will try the snow tires out first.

2004 Black Onyx GS300
“Success is there for those who want it, plan for it and take action to achieve it.” - Jim Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-SC300 View Post
The 2GS is still the sexiest GS ever made. The other generations are all nice as well....but 2GS is king IMO.
MrG4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 03:49 AM   #52
BT5150
Driver School Candidate

Here's one more vote for getting snow tires! I've lived in WI for most of my life and have driven through more than 20 winters so far and counting. I can tell you that the tires honestly make just as much difference as having all wheel drive does and really makes more difference, because all wheel drive really just helps you get moving, it doesn't help for braking, cornering, etc A good set of snow tires helps with ALL of that stuff!
BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 12:33 PM   #53
BigCman
Rookie

Only time I was glad that I had AWD was when that snow storm hit portland a couple weeks ago. Was driving EVERYWHERE just getting sideways because I never can. People at intersections were looking like I was nuts plowing snow with a slammed car sliding everywhere.

This was in the Legacy Meridian Park parking lot by my house. Ripped up every parking lot I could find that wasn't already blasted by Subi's.....they are an epidemic here in the PNW.
Click the image to open in full size.
BigCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 02:33 PM   #54
cw5
Driver School Candidate

Live in eastern pa and the potholes are the worst i've ever seen them..can't chance damaging a rim on my is250c, so i bought a used suv just till penndot gets the roads fixed..by the way car goes great in the snow..lol.
cw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 02:53 PM   #55
sm1ke
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (5)

sm1ke_ sm1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCman View Post
Only time I was glad that I had AWD was when that snow storm hit portland a couple weeks ago. Was driving EVERYWHERE just getting sideways because I never can. People at intersections were looking like I was nuts plowing snow with a slammed car sliding everywhere.

This was in the Legacy Meridian Park parking lot by my house. Ripped up every parking lot I could find that wasn't already blasted by Subi's.....they are an epidemic here in the PNW.
*img snip*
Awesome pic man!!

I'm so tempted to whip it loose on my way home now.. hahah
sm1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 02:55 PM   #56
WylieKylie
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
Yup. When I bought the car last spring it had mostly worn out summer tires on it. I knew when i bought it that it would require two new sets of tires within a year. I put snow tires on it in November,and will buy a set of high performance summer tires in April. Given my current budget those summer tires will probably get swapped on the same set of rims. Eventaully I'll have two sets of rims/tires. This also makes it so I can run ultra high performance summer tires -- the kind of tires that wouldn't make it DOWN my driveway in a skiff of snow.
WylieKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 03:25 PM   #57
BigCman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
Awesome pic man!!

I'm so tempted to whip it loose on my way home now.. hahah
Thanks man. Had SOOOOO much fun that night. I'm originally from Connecticut so the snow was nothing for me. Every other Portlander on the other hand decided to stay home and left the roads all to me.

GET IT SIDEWAYS BRO!!!!!!!
BigCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 03:25 PM