IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 is terrible in snow

Old 02-07-14, 07:53 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so Portland got it's first snow of any amount since 2008.
The car isn't the problem - as others have said it's the tires. Any RWD car will likely have traction issues in the snow when equipped with AS tires.
This.... and without trying to sound like an *******, but my guess is you were part of the problem. If you haven't seen snow in 8 years, my guess is you're a little rusty on driving in those conditions.

I have an IS350 RWD and an IS250 awd (wife's car) and we live in Minneapolis (lots of snow, lots of cold) .... my IS350 with Blizzaks outperforms the AWD with all-season any day. We got a snowstorm that left ~4" on the ground in the A.M. when I left for work (before plows were out) and I got to/from work that day no problem, only slip / slide was testing traction at the first stop sign by slamming on the brakes.

At the end of the day there are two things alone that make a car work well in the snow - proper tires and a good driver.
Old 02-07-14, 08:10 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

In Dallas too. RWD IS250 with Michelin PS. Didn't do so well with the ice a couple months ago, and didn't do well yesterday with the inch of now. Next purchase will be snow tires. Michelin PS in the summer are fantastic, icey/snow days.. not so good. Even if you have a AWD with summer tires, it will still suck. Snow tires evidently are the key to winter driving.
Old 02-07-14, 08:24 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Agree with all your points..but I'm not getting a new car now…WHEN I get a new car it will be AWD..
AWD might help you get up the hill, which unfortunately is the part most people worry about in bad weather. It may be frustrating or even embarrasing to get stuck in the snow, but if that is what you are worried about you are worried about the wrong thing.

Getting into an accident because you can't corner or stop is the real danger in bad weather, and the only thing that will help with that is (drumroll please!) BETTER TIRES! If you don't get snow enough to justify winter tires you are better off just not driving when you get snow. AWD makes it worse, because you will be going faster when you slide off the road, or into the car in front of you.
Old 02-07-14, 08:34 AM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

Just wanted to add, I have AWD - and am in the midwest (frequent snow). AWD doesn't really solve all traction problems as already stated. I have A/S on my AWD and frankly I still slide all over the place. However, I do much better on hills and deep snow than most with RWD & snow tires, but frankly the reason I stuck with AWD is because I didn't want to deal with swapping out tires.

With a RWD car I highly recommend winter tires - but if you only get measurable snow every few years - just don't drive on the bad days. The investment is not worth the 1 day you need it. The IS350 (AWD or RWD) is a great car when properly equipped for the weather conditions. Anything with winter tires will perform better than almost everything with A/S. Every once in awhile when taking a turn and I find myself going straight instead I have to remind myself I'm not invincible with AWD and that I need to slow down.
Old 02-07-14, 01:17 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

You need snow chains Or a second car. If you need snow chains lmk. I have two sets sitting around in my garage.
Old 02-07-14, 01:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Here in northern va, we have snow and ice. This is my second winter in the 350. I have Michelin pilot sport A/S tires and I'm generally in good shape while in snow mode (start in second gear, shifts at lower rpms, slower accel,etc)
. You just have to take it easy.
"Taking it easy" is generally good advice for winter driving, but it's not helpful when the roads are slick and your tires just spin no matter how light a touch you give the gas. I saw it this past Monday when it was snowing like the dickens for the 5th time this winter here in Philly. FWD cars with A/S tires just unable to get up the hill...

I'm glad this winter that I have AWD, but if I only had measurable snow once every 5 years like the OP in WA, I would not say that I must have AWD for the next car. The extra cost, lower MPG and weight--it's just a waste. I wouldn't rule it out if there was an AWD car I liked, such as a Quattro, but I don't see why it's a "must".
Old 02-07-14, 01:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
In Dallas too. RWD IS250 with Michelin PS. Didn't do so well with the ice a couple months ago, and didn't do well yesterday with the inch of now. Next purchase will be snow tires. Michelin PS in the summer are fantastic, icey/snow days.. not so good. Even if you have a AWD with summer tires, it will still suck. Snow tires evidently are the key to winter driving.
No one is doing well with ice, winter tires or not...
Old 02-07-14, 01:53 PM
DocFreud
Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
As we get snow of any quantity every 5 years or so..no value in buying dedicated snow tires..
snow tires are not only for snow.. they are also for cold temperatures. snow tires have more traction on wet AND dry roads when the temperature is below 44 F. a LOT MORE traction.. it is just a safety issue. so even AWD cars need proper snow tires.

Last edited by DocFreud; 02-07-14 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 05:14 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I just moved from HI to OR and got to experience driving in snow for the first time and it's tough (but kinda fun).

My solution though is park it haha!

Old 02-07-14, 05:30 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alias
I feel your pain. I just moved from HI to OR and got to experience driving in snow for the first time and it's tough (but kinda fun).

My solution though is park it haha!

Welcome to Oregon…Parking is a great idea…unless the snow hits when you are at work and have to get home!

Found the solution though.Put my 4 studded snows on the 93 Toyota PU 2wd..filled the bed with snow..and can go most anywhere. Battery was dead and had to buy a new one..but I am at least mobile now.
Old 02-07-14, 06:19 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine in beast mode after plowing threw snow
Old 02-07-14, 06:29 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

2nd gen IS has strong traction control, when it engaged it make no moves, I used to have 01 IS300 with snow tires and full body kits and never got stuck, my 07 IS 350 now had bilzzark snow tires on and still loose traction, or no goes when traction control on
Old 02-07-14, 06:36 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiois350
2nd gen IS has strong traction control, when it engaged it make no moves, I used to have 01 IS300 with snow tires and full body kits and never got stuck, my 07 IS 350 now had bilzzark snow tires on and still loose traction, or no goes when traction control on
That why it must stay off. I drive vsc/TC every time snows on the ground. I feel better with it off then on that just me. Plus if you really know your is300 go by the vin number and some is300 are LSD from the factory. Hence maybe that what helped you get along threw some snowy days.

Last edited by laobo979; 02-07-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 07:16 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

un experience driver should just stay home, snow tire or AWD doesn't matter if there ice on the ground if you not taking it slow and I mean slow like a old person then you going to slip and slide all over.
Old 02-07-14, 10:51 PM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

The different tractions and stability features keep being mentioned, but the fact of the matter is that the IS350 and I would venture to say every other rear wheel drive light vehicle isn't worth a damn in the snow. Sure snow tires help, but there is no substitute for having the weight of the engine on the drive tires/tires that are plowing the way. I got by on my bald all-seasons in 3 inches of snow, but it was by no means stress free. I was holding up traffic and actually had to have a cop stop traffic on a hill so I could turn around. I wanted to head to Colorado for some skiing, but have now determined taking the IS is asking for trouble. My next vehicle will be an AWD. I like the IS enough that I might just get another one in AWD..... Who am I kidding, there are so many hot cars on the market..... I can't be faithful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 is terrible in snow