IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Light weight battery swap..Whos done it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 02:50 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Light weight battery swap..Whos done it?

Im thinking about swapping to a ODYSSEY PC680 (only weighs 15.4 pounds). Has anyone used this battery on our cars? Stock weight of IS350 battery is about 41 pounds so this would be a huge weight saving for little cost. Let me know if you have used any other brands and what your take on it is.
Old 02-06-14, 04:25 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Big waste of money! The IS weight over 3,500lbs so the lighter weight battery wont do anything to possitively affect the car performance. The are few other place you could reduce some weight of the car but again, they wont do much
-go on a diet and loose some weight (this is actually good for you
-only fill the tank half way full
-remove all junks in the trunk
-remove spare tire (not a good idea if you drive in rural, unsafe area)

In all seriousness, weight reduction on any car isnt worth the money and effort!
Old 02-06-14, 05:32 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nikogio38
Im thinking about swapping to a ODYSSEY PC680 (only weighs 15.4 pounds). Has anyone used this battery on our cars? Stock weight of IS350 battery is about 41 pounds so this would be a huge weight saving for little cost. Let me know if you have used any other brands and what your take on it is.
Here's a thread caymandive installing an odyssey battery in his IS a while back.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-battery.html
Old 02-06-14, 06:34 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the ODYSSEY PC680T and it crapped out in 8months (one season) on my IS350! Previously, I ran Braille batteries on all of my STis and swapped IS300s and would likely never use an ODYSSEY again......

I've been using a beefier (21 lbs) Braille B3121 as it offers more CCA, etc. and it has never had an issue in 3 years on my IS350.

Old 02-06-14, 07:46 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I ran ODYSSEY PC680MJ (MJ= Metal Jacket) batteries in 4 cylinder cars and they lasted 4 yrs plus.

With that said I will probably not put an ODYSSEY in my IS, I think the 680 is a bit small for the electrical drains & high compression IS350 and ODYSSEY doesn't have anything in their line that is bigger than the 680 w/o being too big.

I'm planning on trying a Braille B2015 which supposedly weighs the same 15lbs as the 680 but has more juice. If I find out the hard way it won't cut it, I'll move up to the 21lb Braille mentioned by mikellucci.
Old 02-06-14, 07:46 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Its not so much a waste of money. Battery doesnt cost much and any weight off does improve performance. Im trying to make my 350 atleast 250 pounds light, so far ive saved 67 pound off my car with the upgrade of light weight wheels/tires, and removing spare and jack.

How long have you been running the Braille battery? Any negatives to running it?
Old 02-06-14, 08:08 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its not so much a waste of money. Battery doesnt cost much and any weight off does improve performance. Im trying to make my 350 atleast 250 pounds light, so far ive saved 67 pound off my car with the upgrade of light weight wheels/tires, and removing spare and jack.?
I think it is still a waste of money because the battery wont last as long (and is much more expensive for my Z4M Coupe).
Here is another suggestion for you. A gallon of gas weights about 6 pounds, the IS350 has a 17.1 gal fuel tank. Just re-fuel about 10gal at a time and shaved off 42 pounds without costing a penny (except you will have to stop by the gas station more often).
Want better performance? Get a lighter or more power/weight ratio car
Old 02-06-14, 09:01 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
I think it is still a waste of money because the battery wont last as long (and is much more expensive for my Z4M Coupe).
Here is another suggestion for you. A gallon of gas weights about 6 pounds, the IS350 has a 17.1 gal fuel tank. Just re-fuel about 10gal at a time and shaved off 42 pounds without costing a penny (except you will have to stop by the gas station more often).
Yes I think everyone on this board should go buy a different car because you think buying a lightweight battery is a waste of money.
Old 02-06-14, 09:04 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Def. don't have kids either because their car seats add about 30 lbs as well!
Everyone has an opinion but the stock battery is junk....I replaced it after a winter season of storing my car. I also needed space for a meth/water tank in the engine bay...the weight savings was an added bonus of the smaller superior battery.
Old 02-06-14, 11:46 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

yes, he should fill up less gas, but he should also change the battery because that's significant weight (~15% of weight he's trying to reduce).

As for the car weighing 3500, if he's able to reduce the weight by 250, he would have trim 7% of the weight which I think might translate directly to acceleration time (if his 0-60 is 5.0s now, it will be 4.67s when he's done).
Old 02-06-14, 12:20 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop knocking the guy for wanting a lightweight battery. This is not a board for bashing people for wanting to improve their car. Very respectable members have done a similar mod and it was for a purpose. They were trying to reduce their times at the drag strip.

So, just because it's something you wouldn't do to your car doesn't automatically make it ok for you to discourage someone to do it. This is a community where we grow by learning from each other. Not shooting down one's dreams. Now, if this was a thread about adding horsepower with a Turbonator. . . .
Old 02-06-14, 02:05 PM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 2 different Deka batteries (same as Braille, but cheaper) they are about 15lbs, they worked fine on my S2000…obviously if it is cold outside and you don’t drive the car everyday it may struggle to start and under 20deg it may not work.
I purchased another one for my Evo X and the battery died after a few months, I am guessing that the Evo needs a more powerful battery.
I just got a new Lipo with a higher CA that weight less than 3lbs so it is light LOL, however these are cars that I don’t daily drive and use for AutoX/ track so every pound counts.

If you want a really light one look into these Lipos, however make sure that you get one similar to the OEM CA.
Old 02-06-14, 08:22 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Big waste of money! The IS weight over 3,500lbs so the lighter weight battery wont do anything to possitively affect the car performance. The are few other place you could reduce some weight of the car but again, they wont do much
-go on a diet and loose some weight (this is actually good for you
-only fill the tank half way full
-remove all junks in the trunk
-remove spare tire (not a good idea if you drive in rural, unsafe area)

In all seriousness, weight reduction on any car isnt worth the money and effort!
i put in bold exactly what i was agreeing with

Its not so much a waste of money. Battery doesnt cost much and any weight off does improve performance. Im trying to make my 350 atleast 250 pounds light, so far ive saved 67 pound off my car with the upgrade of light weight wheels/tires, and removing spare and jack.

How long have you been running the Braille battery? Any negatives to running it?
Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Yes I think everyone on this board should go buy a different car because you think buying a lightweight battery is a waste of money.
Originally Posted by nabbun
Stop knocking the guy for wanting a lightweight battery. This is not a board for bashing people for wanting to improve their car. Very respectable members have done a similar mod and it was for a purpose. They were trying to reduce their times at the drag strip.

So, just because it's something you wouldn't do to your car doesn't automatically make it ok for you to discourage someone to do it. This is a community where we grow by learning from each other. Not shooting down one's dreams. Now, if this was a thread about adding horsepower with a Turbonator. . . .
thats not bashing somebody dream by telling them the truth. as heavy as the 2IS is, a lightweight battery does nothing but make your wallet lighter. they dont last by any means. if you are working on weight savings there are far more areas to work vs a lighter battery lol. the general rule is for every 100lbs you gain 1whp. thats almost as bad as folks thinking if you take out the seats and interior youre "weight saving"

its not bashing or killing somebody dream, we are in fact trying to save the OP from wasting money. its getting to the point you cant even tell people whats good or bad without somebody swooping in to say "your bashing". my old roommate had one on his WRX and that car could never sit more than a week without needing a jump
Old 02-06-14, 09:48 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a Stinger SPP1500D battery with 825CCA. I needed a new one, put in a big stereo system, and wanted it to match my engine color combination for car shows.
Attached Thumbnails Light weight battery swap..Whos done it?-engine-shot-by-nick-debono.jpg   Light weight battery swap..Whos done it?-motor-pic.jpg  
Old 02-07-14, 01:16 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Lexus OEM battery from dealership is a joke for 06 IS350 the battery will run you $1,214.00. For that price i could buy a nice lithon battery. So spending a few hundred to get a battery that is over 20 pounds lighter is a pluse. Just make sure you CCA is above 650 and it should work fine in our cars.

Quick Reply: Light weight battery swap..Whos done it?