IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Worth modding? Your opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 09:40 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Worth modding? Your opinion...

So tax season is here and if you're lucky you may be getting a nice return, and if your like me the first thing that comes to mind is modding the whip. I've come across all the parts and priced them out ready to purchase the day my return hits my bank, but something has got me thinking...

Is it worth continue modding a car with 124K miles? Now, of course everybody is going to say "Do what you enjoy" and I get it, but by the time I pay the car off , I'll eventually need to trade it in for something newer with less miles. My question is, is it worth dumping 5 grand into the ride if I'm going to need to trade it in a few years or LESS? Or would it be better to use this money as adown payment for a newer car with less miles (thinking about BMW 335i).

I've seen a few threads already with people at almost 200K miles and all, but at that point the car is a keeper and you won't get hardly anything in trade in value with such miles..

My IS is an 07, base model (no accessories, no navigation, no heated seats, NOTHING) manual transmission, which most dealers already say people don't want a MT Lexus and lowball me for my trade in value in itself. Should I just trade it in while I still can, thus making me upside down and getting something with less miles with my return? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Deegee; 02-03-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 09:57 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had purchased a luxury vehicle with high mileage AND took out a loan, I would be in it for the long haul. Being upside down on your loan is no joke. ESPECIALLY if I had no intention on keeping the vehicle. You'll be paying off a car you no longer have AND making payments on your current car. If I were in this position I would pay towards the loan to keep my head above water to get out of it faster and in that 335 I want.

Answer: If you don't plan on keeping the car, don't mod it anymore. It looks good already. If you plan on keeping the car, then you save it for a mod or towards a down payment on a 335.
Old 02-03-14, 10:16 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modding is throwing money out of the window imo. Save the money for a good down-payment on that 335 or even an extended warranty for that. Your car is old and has too many miles already. I'll say if you want to get the most of your car never go to the dealers...you need to sell it privatly as it's the only chance to get a stick shift enthusiast to pay the real price.
Old 02-03-14, 10:33 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

They're right. Don't mod it. It's base and 250. It's like modding a honda now. Haha jk
Just save your money
Old 02-03-14, 10:41 AM
FWDLOL
Driver School Candidate

This is where I stand, I don't add mods that won't add value for the sale OR able to part out at the end of my journey with my IS. I want to enjoy my car, so i got the exhaust and quick shift, maybe some handling components next. But ultimately I want to maintain the value of my vehicle so I can get the most out of it for my 2016 wrx STI

And, if you have the manual (which I do) sell it privately, there are people out there who want the 6 speed is250 which is becoming more and more rare. Also on this topic, if you have rare oem 6 speed parts they should hopefully maintain their resale value (Shift kit, sport pedals, etc).

Just my opinion.
Old 02-03-14, 11:38 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
I've seen a few threads already with people at almost 200K miles and all, but at that point the car is a keeper and you won't get hardly anything in trade in value with such miles..
I think you can still get quite a bit of money out of the car with that many miles if everything still good.

I won't spend $5000 on mod if I were to sell my car in less than 5 years -- I wouldn't spend $5000 on mods even if I'll keep the car though.
Old 02-03-14, 12:24 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Everyone will have their own personal opinon on the matter; so it'll really be up to what you want to do.

But one I will add is that modifications can be purchased and re-sold; so long as you keep the OEM parts off of the car, you can recoop some of the initial investment. A car in stock condition will sell for more AND to a wider audience.
Old 02-03-14, 12:44 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

6MTs are rare....you can sell it on your own rather than trading it in.
Old 02-03-14, 12:47 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback all, The mod I've been considering are wheels and tires which will roughly run me about 2K and maybe some little mods like a is-f style grill and led bulbs.

I'm thinking I may just pull the trigger on these mods and forget the list of other cosmetic mods that I don't necessarily need (ie new front lip, spoiler, sideskirts, headlights, etc.) and continuing paying on the car until I run her into the ground. At the very least I'll just need to uninstall my coils, and grill if I ever do sell or trade in (or it blows up) and of course use the new wheels on the new ride.

yolo

Last edited by Deegee; 02-03-14 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 01:44 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that you have to decide what you want to do with the car. I still owe money on my car and I am approaching 100k with in the next year or so but I plan on keeping the IS for as long as I can (or at least until something else catches my eyes). My 250 has been nothing but reliable, and it has the AWD which I love and need in my area. When its paid off, I still plan on keeping it as a beater cuz hell, its the nicest car ive own and then I'll get a 2nd car

Before you MOD it, i would say have a definitive plan on what you want to do in your future. If you see your self in a new car in the next year or so, I would put the money towards the loan. If not then Mod away. BUT KEEP YOUR OEM PARTS. I keep all my oem because when i decide to sell, then revert back to stock and sell the car as unmodified and sell the mods you have laying around. You will get more for your money. It will be an extra few hundred in your pocket when you do that
Old 02-03-14, 03:16 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you can recoup some funds that have been spent on mods at the end, Mod away!
Old 02-03-14, 03:26 PM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly wouldn't trade in for a 335i. I came from owning a 335i to a lexus now. If I were you I would save that 5k and down for a newer lexus.
Old 02-03-14, 03:26 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

keep your money.
Old 02-03-14, 03:44 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Rcf tho
Old 02-03-14, 05:15 PM
FWDLOL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Rcf tho
2nd that notion, but if you prefer a manual like me, it may not be the best fit.

Quick Reply: Worth modding? Your opinion...