IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Correct use of ETCS system

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 07:14 AM
Jarhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct use of ETCS system

Yesterday I started a thread titled <TRAC/VSC; How to Use In the Snow> and got some great replies and, as a result, have a much better idea of when to disengage one, or both.

My 250 is a RWD, manual transmission model. I have an ETCS button on the dash, but absolutely no explanation is offered in the manual of what that button does.

When I push it, <ETCS Snow> appears above the odometer. That's all I know at this point.

When I Google <ETCS use>, all I find are explanations of how ETCS is a drive-by-wire system and a video from Lexus explaining how it works (that latter is clearly a refutation to allegations that the unintended surges experienced by some ETCS-equipped vehicles were caused by ETCS malfunctions) but _no_ explanation as to when you should turn it off in the snow.

Whenever it snows? When driving on snow-covered roads? When stuck in deep snow? When you're stuck, at a standstill in snow and can't get traction? On snow-covered hills?

Any clarifications as to when to use this ETCS button to turn ETCS off would be very welcome.

Many thanks.
Old 02-02-14, 08:26 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, next time you drive your car just put it in "SNOW" and feel the difference. decreased throttle response, won't accelerate as quickly, etc. it is very noticeable if you push that button while driving.

it decreases the chance of you accelerating to the point of traction loss on slippery roads.
Old 02-02-14, 11:40 AM
Jarhead
Driver School Candidate

It looks like rain perhaps turning into snow tomorrow so maybe I'll get a change to give it a try.

Thanks for replying.
Old 02-04-14, 11:13 AM
Jarhead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nikon
dude, next time you drive your car just put it in "SNOW" and feel the difference. decreased throttle response, won't accelerate as quickly, etc. it is very noticeable if you push that button while driving.

it decreases the chance of you accelerating to the point of traction loss on slippery roads.
I tried it yesterday in heavy but not freezing rain. It works exactly as you described and I can see how it would help you not spin out on snow-covered roads. It's like the torque to the driving wheels has been cut by about one-third.