IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TRAC/VSC - How to use in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 12:40 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead
OK. Another vote for turning them _both_ off when driving under snow & ice conditions. Very helpful.

Going by daileycon's post, however, it doesn't seem that he had much luck turning these both off on snowy/icy _hills_. Of course you have to know how much snow, was there ice, how steep was the hill and, perhaps _most_ important of all, what is the condition of his tires? I assume his tires are the original Bridgestone Potenzas and if there is a lot of mileage on the car he bought, they could be pretty worn down.

I lucked out finding a 2010 model with a manual transmission AND only 17,000 miles on the clock so my tires are in very good condition.
Steep hill rwd if your on a dead stop your outta luck regardless. Now if your moving and don't stop you can make it up slowly. Also having snow tires on make a huge difference in traction. If your all season good luck no traction gained or to stop.
Old 02-01-14, 01:10 PM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
Steep hill rwd if your on a dead stop your outta luck regardless. Now if your moving and don't stop you can make it up slowly. Also having snow tires on make a huge difference in traction. If your all season good luck no traction gained or to stop.
Yea, I spent 20 years in upstate NY so I was used to it. Tried every trick in the book but wasn't happening. We've only had snow 3 times since I moved. I'll just borrow the van or my wifes RX next time.
Old 02-01-14, 02:32 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Sorry but I driven in the snow occasionally, just not with my is350. I use a 09 jeep wrangler 4x4 to commute when traveling around the tahoe resort. I just dont recommend any rwd vehicles to run into heavy snow in which if the weather should change, black ice can form. Especially without the proper tires/chains. And especially if you have little to no experience in those conditions.
Here in the northeast we can get up to 2ft of snow in one day. Tahoe is a vacation resort not city streets. Here we have plow truck, salter, and sander run threw every snow drop. Roads can be cleared as soon as the last drop of snow falls. We don't run snow chain here cause people out here are know how to drive threw a snow fall. Not like the south were on inch they shut down. Chain are never used out here that just over kill for city streets.
Old 02-02-14, 07:56 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

This is my first winter with my 2010 IS250, manual transmission/rear wheel drive.

I read the User's Manual on TRAC and VSC, and looked for but could not find any mention in the manual about ETCS (Electronic Throttle Control System).

I am confused about the difference between TRAC and VSC.

When I push the TRAC button, the Multi-Info Display shows <TRAC OFF>.

When I push and hold the TRAC button, the Multi-Info Display shows <TRAC OFF> and, inside the speedometer ring, I see the "slipping car" icon displayed (VSC, right?).

Clearly, the two are related, but precisely what each one does and when driving in snow, which would I want to use and when are not clear.

Under what conditions would I want to disengage TRAC? And under what conditions would I want to disengage TRAC and VSC?

Many thanks for any clarification.

I live in Quebec and our weathers are the crappiest compared to everyone else on this board.

So here's my experience with a 2010 IS250 RWD automatic on Nokian Nordman 2 Snow Tires.

With the car in regular mode, it drives fine.
With the ECT PWR mode on, it still drives fine, but the responses are a bit quicker.
With the ECT SNOW mode on, the car is slower and it will take time to accelerate, hence it's a precaution.
Pressing the TRACTION button will turn the traction OFF, so all you'll get is wheel spin.

I've used the SNOW mode ONCE, just to see what it does and it's designed for bad drivers. My car is in ECT PWR all the time and you just have to be careful. Then again my tires do most of the work.

We had about 40-50 centimeters (14-19 INCHES) of snow in one week and the car drove fine.

Anyone saying that you need AWD is either:
- A bad driver
- Driving on ALL SEASON tires or crappy winter tires
- All of the above.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-02-14, 11:28 AM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you sure are getting the gamut of answers. Here's another one. The Trac off button is for when you can't get going, are stuck on a hill etc. One press, don't hold the button. With trac on, your car hinders your progress every time you tires start to spin. Trac turns back on at 30 mph to keep you safe. Even under 30 mph, the VSC is still on and will save you if you get sideways. I had to turn the trac off quite a few times this winter. My rear All seasons are shot fyi. There would never be a reason to turn VSC and Trac off, unless you want to have fun in a parking lot.

Last edited by Uber350; 02-02-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 02:02 PM
Jarhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looked up ECT in Toyota vehicles here...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

The pertinent part, for this discussion, is:

The upshift in the power mode will occur later, at higher speed depending on the throttle opening. For example, an upshift to third gear at 50% throttle will occur at about 37mph in normal mode and about 47mph in power mode.

But of course, having a manual transmission, I have no ECT but ETCS instead, or do you have both, GeorgeR?
Old 02-02-14, 06:40 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

Just looked up ECT in Toyota vehicles here...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

The pertinent part, for this discussion, is:

The upshift in the power mode will occur later, at higher speed depending on the throttle opening. For example, an upshift to third gear at 50% throttle will occur at about 37mph in normal mode and about 47mph in power mode.

But of course, having a manual transmission, I have no ECT but ETCS instead, or do you have both, GeorgeR?
I have ECT, my car is not a manual transmission, but like others have said, try out the different modes and you'll see for yourself.
Old 02-03-14, 09:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is my first winter with my 2010 IS250, manual transmission/rear wheel drive.

I read the User's Manual on TRAC and VSC, and looked for but could not find any mention in the manual about ETCS (Electronic Throttle Control System).

I am confused about the difference between TRAC and VSC.

When I push the TRAC button, the Multi-Info Display shows <TRAC OFF>.

When I push and hold the TRAC button, the Multi-Info Display shows <TRAC OFF> and, inside the speedometer ring, I see the "slipping car" icon displayed (VSC, right?).

Clearly, the two are related, but precisely what each one does and when driving in snow, which would I want to use and when are not clear.

Under what conditions would I want to disengage TRAC? And under what conditions would I want to disengage TRAC and VSC?

Many thanks for any clarification.
I hope you have winter tires....