IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Head gasket sealers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 02:06 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Head gasket sealers

Just wondering if anyone uses any of the head gasket sealer products on IS250 that you add in to your coolant? some people add it as preventative measures. I'm concerned about my head gasket because on a cold start with my radiator pressure cap off some form of pressure pushes the coolant out.
Old 01-24-14, 07:10 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Are you talking about your coolant overflow tank slightly leaking like this?

If so, it is very common and NOT a sign of a failing HG.
Old 01-24-14, 09:04 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
Just wondering if anyone uses any of the head gasket sealer products on IS250 that you add in to your coolant? some people add it as preventative measures. I'm concerned about my head gasket because on a cold start with my radiator pressure cap off some form of pressure pushes the coolant out.
Check for coolant overflow (completely normal), but the bigger question is - why would you ever start your car with the radiator cap off?
Old 01-25-14, 03:20 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

No not the coolant overflow tank. After reading here that many people recommend starting the car cold with the pressure radiator cap off to burp out air in the system, thats when i had some pressure push the water out. Technically, there isnt supposed to be any pressure on a cold start which leads me to believe maybe the HG?

This happened over 10k miles ago, and havent had any issues or anything since. Nothing in the oil and exhaust output seems fine.

Has anyone used any sealers? like K-Seal ? i'm thinking even if there is no leak as my IS250 has done 145k Miles so far thinking if adding k-seal every so often will be a good preventative measure?

Anyone have any experience with K-Seal or any other products? My worry is what if it cloggs up something or seals something it isnt supposed to
Old 01-25-14, 05:41 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

if it happened 10k ago and you're fine now, then I don't believe it's your HG. if it was your HG, your car would've overheated a long time ago. happened to my 2gs. mother in law drove my car, fluid popped out from under the hood, drove it home fine (from 15 minutes away), coolant gone. then i changed radiator (new oem), filled fluids, let engine run with radiator cap off for 15 minutes (warming up car from cold start), drove the car, overheated, turns out to be HG. just my .02 cents. however the 2is might be different. don't know. good luck to you.
Old 01-25-14, 05:57 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
if it happened 10k ago and you're fine now, then I don't believe it's your HG. if it was your HG, your car would've overheated a long time ago. happened to my 2gs. mother in law drove my car, fluid popped out from under the hood, drove it home fine (from 15 minutes away), coolant gone. then i changed radiator (new oem), filled fluids, let engine run with radiator cap off for 15 minutes (warming up car from cold start), drove the car, overheated, turns out to be HG. just my .02 cents. however the 2is might be different. don't know. good luck to you.
I havent tried burping the system with this method after that last attempt 10k miles ago. i did however have an overheat problem but it was because of the valve on the pressure cap being broken. garage took apart the hoses to remove the broken piece, added 50% new pink toyota coolant and a new pressure cap. And havent had any overheat issues. They also did the pressure test and was all good after the new radiator pressure cap. Heating and everything works perfectly fine. Engine temp stays below half way. My concern is why when starting the car with the cap open from cold the coolant came gushing out. Most of the burping videos i've seen, people use a funnel. I think funnel would have helped prevent mess but the level of the coolant would have probably still raise high.
Old 01-25-14, 07:19 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

have you tried doing a coolant flush?

EDIT: just found this while looking online. I was curious if the Toyota pink coolant is diluted already and from what people are saying, it is. So if they only put 50 in there and the rest is water, possibly your car has 75% water and 25% coolant. That could be a reason as to why you're seeing that as well. Here is the comment I found and hoping others can confirm this whether it's true or false.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong caution!
Be aware that this product is diluted with water to a 50/50 ratio.
The item description does not say this, but the item pictured clearly shows the label.
Published 25 days ago by Jeremy Pruett

Hope this helps!

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 01-25-14 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 08:01 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

YxUxMADDDD, no they didnt put 50% coolant and 50% water. there was already coolant in the system. but when the overheat issue happened, the valve on the radiator pressure cover fell into the hose. so they had to dismantle part of the coolant system and drain part of the system and clean it out and remove the broken valve. once they removed it, they topped up coolant which equaled about 50% of total cooling system capacity.
Old 01-25-14, 08:04 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

i'd try doing a coolant flush then or ask a local reputable radiator shop. other than that, I don't know what to tell you. hopefully somebody can chime in and assist you with your specific problem. good luck.
Old 01-25-14, 09:39 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

About 4 years ago I also had the startup noise recall done which I believe involved a sort of top end engine rebuild from what I understand. Dealers had the car for 1week. This was done when car had 60k miles on it. Now car has 145k. When they did this recall, does this recall involve installing a new head gasket? If so that would mean my head gasket isn't 145k miles old
Old 02-08-17, 10:59 PM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
About 4 years ago I also had the startup noise recall done which I believe involved a sort of top end engine rebuild from what I understand. Dealers had the car for 1week. This was done when car had 60k miles on it. Now car has 145k. When they did this recall, does this recall involve installing a new head gasket? If so that would mean my head gasket isn't 145k miles old
I'm pretty sure they had to replace both head gaskets to do the start up recall since it had to do with the cam shafts, but I was wondering the same thing. Did you ever find out the answer for sure?
Old 02-09-17, 05:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuboost
I'm pretty sure they had to replace both head gaskets to do the start up recall since it had to do with the cam shafts, but I was wondering the same thing. Did you ever find out the answer for sure?
If you're talking about the cam-rattle at start-up recall, then no...they did not replace the headgaskets because they didn't remove the heads to preform the fix.