IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Noob Questions (08 IS250 AWD bumper/light modification, insurance, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 09:30 AM
UTLonghorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Questions (08 IS250 AWD bumper/light modification, insurance, etc.)

Hello Clublexus IS owners!

I recently purchased a 2008 IS250 AWD and I really LOVE my car! I thought I'd invest my Christmas bonus into my baby, so I purchased the weathertech mats and was looking to do a few other things. Before I drop big money, I had a few questions that I wanted to float so I don't make any rookie mistakes.

I've searched the forums here and found contrasting answers, so maybe someone can provide assistance with my specific issues.

1) Will the Sewell F-sport bumper conversion work for the AWD version of the 08 IS250? Specifically, if I purchase the linked part, will it fit onto my bumper, or will I need some further modification?

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/4539.html

2) Also, will I have to do significant work to keep my halogen lights if I upgrade the bumper? I've been reading about fitment issues and bracket issues and whatnot, and was wondering if the bumper upgrade necessitates the headlight upgrade.

3) I have full coverage insurance for my car. If I modify my car with the sewell conversion kit and get the new light retrofit as well, will these mods be covered, assuming I report them? The bumper + lights will run me about $4000, I'd like to have the peace of mind that if someone rammed me I'd be able to recover some of that haha.

If I have any further questions, I'll be sure to ask. You guys are great, the information and answers you throw out to threads like these have really helped me, and I hope this one helps others!

Last edited by UTLonghorn; 01-22-14 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-22-14, 09:42 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the car and glad you LOVE your new car! Beware of the mod bug
Can't answer your questions on the retrofits but I could answer your question regarding insurance. Yes, you could add any aftermarket/mods to your insurance policy and it doesn't cost a whole lot more. Just make sure to take some pictures and keep the receipt just in case.
Old 01-22-14, 01:59 PM
boystar22
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the car as well! I don't really have either of the answers you're looking for but... Be careful with the Weathertech mats. I bought mine last month and my accelerator pedal has already gotten stuck under it once. The top edge really needs to be trimmed on the drivers side mat to prevent it from slipping underneath. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Last edited by boystar22; 01-22-14 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 02:52 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

congrats on the car...

1. YES it will fit, the bumper mounting points are the same!

2. IDK what you mean by here. Halogen headlights have the same mounts as HID headlights so it shouldnt warrant a headlight upgrade

3. Full coverage will only cover what you have receipts for that is damaged in an accident. (Non-wear items such as body panels, etc) You can report that the car front end was upgraded with F-Sport but that really means nothing to the insurance company. When you get into an accident, the appraiser will just ask you for receipts of any items that was damaged that you would want to claim
Old 01-22-14, 03:15 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYKnick101

3. Full coverage will only cover what you have receipts for that is damaged in an accident. (Non-wear items such as body panels, etc) You can report that the car front end was upgraded with F-Sport but that really means nothing to the insurance company. When you get into an accident, the appraiser will just ask you for receipts of any items that was damaged that you would want to claim
Sorry sir but you are incorrect! You need to tell the insurance company that you have aftermarket/performance parts installed in the car at the time the policy start. You want them to specify what those are and how much the costs would be to replace ( pictures and receipts will help with documentation if they refuse to cover in case of claim). For instance, my BMW Z4M policy included a set of BBS wheels value at $3200 and the Supersprint Exhaust system value at $3500. You want to be as specific as possible.
Old 01-22-14, 03:25 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Sorry sir but you are incorrect! You need to tell the insurance company that you have aftermarket/performance parts installed in the car at the time the policy start. You want them to specify what those are and how much the costs would be to replace ( pictures and receipts will help with documentation if they refuse to cover in case of claim). For instance, my BMW Z4M policy included a set of BBS wheels value at $3200 and the Supersprint Exhaust system value at $3500. You want to be as specific as possible.
could it vary by company. A little different but When my old motorcycle got stolen, the insurance company said they would cover aftermarket parts only if I had receipts for it. I had a receipt for fairings from like 2 years earlier and it was paid back in full. I lost the cost of all my other stuff like exhaust, PC, etc cuz i couldn't provide receipts for them. Never claimed any them with the insurance company. They did give me partial for new tires tho
Old 01-22-14, 03:50 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Yes, it might be vary with different insurance companies but I have done this for years with Geico, Metlife, Progressive. Basically, you set it up front and paying a little extra but dont have to worry about denied coverage if you dont have receipts.
Old 01-23-14, 09:01 AM
Rosclalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get new headlights make sure that your ballast and bulbs are all set and you should be good. Like the other guy said bumper would fit perfect have one my self very easy to install yourself also. Good Luck!