IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation System, necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 06:57 AM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System, necessary?

Hey guys, just curious to know what I'd be missing out on if I got an is350 without the navigation system? Obviously the navigation and backup camera, but are there any other things that i'll be losing? I know it's a luxury not a necessity but will I regret it down the road?

I ask because there's a 2010 is350 that came up close to me that does not have the navigation and I find not very many come out in my city to begin with.
Old 01-13-14, 07:17 AM
Cgmiller63
Driver School Candidate

Not having Navi is a deal breaker for me but some people don't mind not having Navi. You can also add an after market Navi w/back up camera. Does your current car have Navi?
Old 01-13-14, 07:22 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

The interior looks really bland without the Nav though:

I'm constantly debating in other forums as to which luxury marquee is better but when someone posted that pic and said "Could just be me, but that centre console/stereo section looks like it belongs on a Hyundai."... I had no comment.
Old 01-13-14, 07:38 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

the only thing I would say you would lose beside nav and backup camera was the Bluetooth but being a 2010 model it comes with it. So i dont think you're losing anything beside that.
Of course a list with maintenance of the care you can set up to remind you to when to change the oil, breaks wipers etc but i don;t find that very useful.
Old 01-13-14, 08:10 AM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

I agree, the interior does look a bit bland, even if the radio display was a bit bigger, so it could display more information instead of the one line. I really like the look of the interior with the navigation screen, it make it look like a sport luxury car. The car I have now doesn't have a nav system, so it's not a deal breaker yet but I would prefer to find one with it. I'm just asking in case for some reason i'm able to get a killer deal on one without the nav, if it's worth it unless i'm losing a lot of extra features.
Old 01-13-14, 08:50 AM
Cgmiller63
Driver School Candidate

If the car is the right price for you and you really want a navi system, consider adding an after-market Navi system.
Old 01-13-14, 08:50 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you found a car without navi but love the condition otherwise, I would just add the "LSQ Navigation" unit afterwards. its a 8" screen that looks like the OEM navi, to the point that most people can't tell its aftermarket. You can also wire up a backup camera, video in, and other goodies with it. For example, I have a dashcam live feed in mine.
Old 01-13-14, 08:52 AM
Cgmiller63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pmanliu
If you found a car without navi but love the condition otherwise, I would just add the "LSQ Navigation" unit afterwards. its a 8" screen that looks like the OEM navi, to the point that most people can't tell its aftermarket. You can also wire up a backup camera, video in, and other goodies with it. For example, I have a dashcam live feed in mine.
Does that system work with the steering wheel controls or do you need a special harness?
Old 01-13-14, 08:56 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cgmiller63
Does that system work with the steering wheel controls or do you need a special harness?
Yes my steering wheel controls work (volume, mode, etc...). I dont have bluetooth from factory so am missing those steering wheel controls. However i read that the unit should work with those too. Hope this helps
Old 01-13-14, 09:20 AM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

How much do these units usually cost? That might be something i'd consider for sure if I can find a good deal on a non nav 350. Would installing it void any warranty on the car? I know you say most people can't tell it's aftermarket but how is the fitment in the console, is it a perfect fit?
Old 01-13-14, 09:31 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are not missing out much with the 2010 navigation. It is very outdated even with the latest map update. Plus the touch screen known for going bad (very expensive fix). The nice things come with the Navi were mentioned with previous posts; plus the ML sound system is really nice.
Old 01-13-14, 10:03 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyoussef
How much do these units usually cost? That might be something i'd consider for sure if I can find a good deal on a non nav 350. Would installing it void any warranty on the car? I know you say most people can't tell it's aftermarket but how is the fitment in the console, is it a perfect fit?
It is about $500-600 shipped new from alibaba. Theres a thread here (its called "found flyaudio's manufacturer" where you can find more details)

Its a near perfect fit. I have a tiny 1-2mm gap but can probably eliminate better if i spent more time tinkering with fitment.

It will only void warranty if it was the cause for a problem. otherwise, no, it shouldn't. Dealer didn't realize i had an aftermarket navi installed, thats how OEM it looks.

Pic for reference with the aftermarket unit:

Attachment 496252
Old 01-13-14, 11:38 AM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

It is about $500-600 shipped new from alibaba. Theres a thread here (its called "found flyaudio's manufacturer" where you can find more details)

Its a near perfect fit. I have a tiny 1-2mm gap but can probably eliminate better if i spent more time tinkering with fitment.

It will only void warranty if it was the cause for a problem. otherwise, no, it shouldn't. Dealer didn't realize i had an aftermarket navi installed, thats how OEM it looks.

Pic for reference with the aftermarket unit:

Thanks for the info, i'll take a look at that thread.
Old 01-13-14, 03:40 PM
ocean3737
Driver School Candidate

I have the same unit and it's pretty good for the price.!
Old 01-13-14, 06:03 PM
dubUang
Rookie

I don't have Navi in my car, but I never had it in the other cars I have driven so it doesn't bother me that much. It's more a preference thing, but I do believe it would be better to have it though.

Quick Reply: Navigation System, necessary?