IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation System, necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 06:13 PM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ocean3737
I have the same unit and it's pretty good for the price.!
Would you recommend it? Have you had any problems with it?
Old 01-16-14, 03:41 AM
carlrazor5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cgmiller63
If the car is the right price for you and you really want a navi system, consider adding an after-market Navi system.
I think these were the two crucial things that were missing, rest of the things are all good. It depends on personal level and the budget you are buying a car. However, you could also give up the navi system but definitely one needs a backup camera.
I agree with Cgmiller you could get it installed from a good after market vendor such as tadi brothers.

Last edited by carlrazor5; 01-16-14 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-16-14, 05:24 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a 2007 is250awd with navi. I think the backup camera for me is the biggest thing, then its the looks and lastly is the nav unit which is pretty useless and I never use. If i were to go back in time and buy it again..... definately, the *** of the IS is pretty high and visibility is very minimal. with the backup camera i can park anywhere with confidence, a must!.
Old 01-16-14, 01:54 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

'06 here with NAV. Every time my wife gets lost she just says "Go Home". And home she goes. The NAV has paid for itself many times over.
Old 01-16-14, 05:05 PM
senorsquid
Rookie

I had this exact same dilemma when looking for my is350, what I found was that cars that didnt have navigation didnt really have any of the other options I was looking for either, and the look of the navigation and the Mark Levinson stereo most is350's with nav have is well worth waiting for. If you dont care about that and just need it for the navigation/directions your probably better off going with an after market unit or handheld navi/phone.
Old 01-17-14, 05:23 AM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by senorsquid
I had this exact same dilemma when looking for my is350, what I found was that cars that didnt have navigation didnt really have any of the other options I was looking for either, and the look of the navigation and the Mark Levinson stereo most is350's with nav have is well worth waiting for. If you dont care about that and just need it for the navigation/directions your probably better off going with an after market unit or handheld navi/phone.
Sounds like my same thought process, I think I've decided to wait for one to come up with a navigation system. I've looked into the aftermarket options in the threads that have been suggested. It just seems like it's hit or miss, some people have had no issues, some people have constant ones. Either way i'm going to wait it out for a bit. Thanks for the comments guys and I'm excited to finally find a 350.
Old 01-17-14, 05:48 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last 09 IS was fully loaded with every option. And now I have a 2012 F-sport without NAV, ML, fold/tilt mirror etc. I don't miss them at all. The stereo is a 13 speakers Premium stereo. It sounds almost as good as ML. The "Here Drive" on my Nokia Lumia 1020 and Navigon on iphone are far better than the dated build-in NAV on my last IS. By the way, I don't miss the rear view camera either.

By the way, the NAV in my last car will restart itself once or twice every summer and all settings. Rear view camera freezes and not turns on when it is -20c in winter. The screen reflects the sunlight in my eyes in sumemr too. It just add problems. Now I don't have them, zero problems.

Last edited by UpSideDown; 01-17-14 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-17-14, 06:00 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
My last 09 IS was fully loaded with every option. And now I have a 2012 F-sport without NAV, ML, fold/tilt mirror etc. I don't miss them at all. The stereo is a 13 speakers Premium stereo. It sounds almost as good as ML. The "Here Drive" on my Nokia Lumia 1020 and Navigon on iphone are far better than the dated build-in NAV on my last IS. By the way, I don't miss the rear view camera either.
Similar situation here, even the regular audio system is pretty good on our cars ( compare to the ML system). Build-in Navi is very outdated even with the latest Map update; FREE google map with turn by turn and live traffic conditions is way better.
If i would opt for one without Navi if i have to do it again.
Backup camera is nice to have but nothing i could not live without.
I would recommend keeping your options open and dont pass up on a well taken care of vehicle with other combo such as exterior and interior color, sport package, etc...
Old 01-17-14, 07:00 AM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Similar situation here, even the regular audio system is pretty good on our cars ( compare to the ML system). Build-in Navi is very outdated even with the latest Map update; FREE google map with turn by turn and live traffic conditions is way better.
If i would opt for one without Navi if i have to do it again.
Backup camera is nice to have but nothing i could not live without.
I would recommend keeping your options open and dont pass up on a well taken care of vehicle with other combo such as exterior and interior color, sport package, etc...
I totally agree, like I originally said, the 350 is rare to come by to begin with so I can't totally rule out purchasing a car without the nav. The issue I'm really having is finding a well maintained car or one without excessive mileage, I think those are a bigger concern and of course the price. I am willing to drive a distance to buy the car so I do look at any 350 that gets listed, with or without the nav.
Old 01-17-14, 09:27 AM
jvp1926
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyoussef
Hey guys, just curious to know what I'd be missing out on if I got an is350 without the navigation system? Obviously the navigation and backup camera, but are there any other things that i'll be losing? I know it's a luxury not a necessity but will I regret it down the road?

I ask because there's a 2010 is350 that came up close to me that does not have the navigation and I find not very many come out in my city to begin with.
I do like having the backup camera but I never use my nav system because I just use my phone.
Old 01-17-14, 10:31 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought my is350 without nav because I only had 2 options either I buy the messed up black is350 with nav or the super clean white is350 without nav. I chose the one without nav because exterior & interior are more important than the nav plus you can buy aftermarket like some people say.

I want a nav tho
Old 01-17-14, 10:37 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

Backup camera would be okay, but other than that I much prefer the look without the navigation and I am not a fan of the touch-screen.

It really is personal preference.

Jeff
Old 01-17-14, 11:28 AM
eyoussef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metaleckz
I bought my is350 without nav because I only had 2 options either I buy the messed up black is350 with nav or the super clean white is350 without nav. I chose the one without nav because exterior & interior are more important than the nav plus you can buy aftermarket like some people say.

I want a nav tho
Good choice, I really do think there are more important things to consider before the nav, it would be nice but not a necessity.

Jeff, I agree, i'm sure the backup camera would be nice, but I've never had one so I really don't know what i'll be missing.
Old 01-17-14, 01:25 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default .............

Plenty of IS350's out there loaded with NAV which will have a higher re-sale value when you are ready to trade or sell it vs a NON Nav IS350.

The rear camera alone gives you peace of mind when reversing as you can see anything in your path and if you have kids you would know what I am talking about.

Never settle for less and always try to find your choice of car with the most options available.

You may not care now but later you would regret.

Having the options is better than not having them. I wish my car had the ML radio system which is the only option I don't have.

Search cars.com, craigslist, Autotrader.com etc... I bet you will find a cleaner one with all options for even a better price. Do your homework!
Old 01-17-14, 01:34 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Backup camera would be okay, but other than that I much prefer the look without the navigation and I am not a fan of the touch-screen.

It really is personal preference.

Jeff
Yes, i am not a fan of the touch screen neither! Many reports of them went death. I am so scared of it since almost everything you need to do is via the screen.

By the way, the back up camera is nice to have but not neccessary (or just add aftermarket one). If one needs the camera to feel safe when backup then the driver needs to go back to school and learn how to drive

Quick Reply: Navigation System, necessary?