IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions about IS transmission issues, spark plugs, suspension etc.

Old 01-10-14, 02:51 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions about IS transmission issues, spark plugs, suspension etc.

Hi all I just bought a 07 high miles IS 350 with 115k miles and have some questions about maintenance (want to get myself prepared since high mile cars might have more maintenance ahead)

I read the owner's manual and it says the auto transmission does not need fluid change, unless it starts acting up. Is this true? My mechanic says I can do a flush at 100k miles. Do any of you do that? Does a fluid change prolong the life of the transmission?
Coming from an acura which requires tranny fluid change every 15k miles, and still have notorious transmission replacement issues, I am a bit paranoid about tranny failure. I asked a lexus dealership and they say the IS350 transmission will break down around 150k miles, and once replaced it will go another 150k miles. Has any of you experience such failures?

Also do our cars use the denso iridium long life spark plugs from factory? Just thought about buying off ebay might be cheaper than getting it from the dealers.

The ride is very nice and comfy, but I feel the car doesnt corner very well. My wife has a stock G35 and the turn feels a lot more confident and stick to the road, if you get what i mean. What will you recommend as a basic suspension upgrade (nothing too racy)? I have the factory luxury package w/ mark levi, navi and factory HKS, f sport intake, 18" staggered etc. If I want to upgrade to the ones from factory sports package, are they any good? do i need to replace shocks only or springs as well?

I know that's a lot of questions coming from a lexus newbie...appreciate any comments! Thank you
Old 01-10-14, 03:55 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL

I have the same model and year but am only at 115K km (just got my plugs done with the cam gear recall)

some have done the transmission flush but it's a sealed system so you can't get all the fluid out (it differs but I've read you have access to as low as 30%). There may be a pump or something that can get at the remaining fuild but I'm not sure. I'll let other chime in on transmission.

you have to get the denso iridium plugs as the engine is high compression and the plugs are designed to handle it. I'm sure it's more complicated than that but that's what my SA told me as he was concerned that I was buying my own plugs to bring to the dealership. Just get them from Sewell which basically chooses them for you based on the model of your car. I think I paid $11.50 per plug versus $29 each at my dealer.

as for suspension, most recommend the f sport front and rear sway bars as a must upgrade, then maybe some coilovers.

oh, if you have the OEM battery still in there you should check the cells to see if they need to be topped up with distilled water. My battery started acting up when a few cells got low on distilled. After 6 years or so, it must have evaporated off or something.
Old 01-10-14, 06:32 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

No need to address the trans fluid...unless you ARE actually having problems with the trans.

Purchase the SAME EXACT plugs that came with the car. Sign up on Sewell Lexus for an account (free), and you'll get a Club Lexus member discount. I actually got mine off ebay (had the best price at the time); easy to install on the IS350 (no messing with the intake manifold like on the IS350).

Agreed, best two handling mods would be coilovers and sway bars. Factory sport suspension isn't any different from what you've already got. The reason we say coilovers is because after you have spent money on new shocks and new lowering springs, you're right at the cost of new ride-height adjustable coilovers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-EZ-STREET-COILOVER-DAMPER-06-13-LEXUS-IS-250-350-RWD-MR-CDK-LI06-EZ-/201011706181?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AIS250&hash=item2ecd3b3945&vxp=mtr
Welcome, and enjoy your IS350; not near high-mileage...yet.
Old 01-11-14, 12:08 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh wow...u guys are absolutely right....full set of coilovers for $689..amazing

thanks so much for the input, i will start looking into the bars!

ok no tranny service needed...that's new coming from a honda guy lol. Well that's good news then, save some money and hope the tranny hold up
Old 01-11-14, 07:08 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Get the plugs from sewelparts.com (don't forget to sign up with clublexus discount)
Like other member stated above. Get Coilover (if you want to low you car), Sway bar (highly recommended), steering wheel damper (someone sell it for $20 pick up)
Old 01-11-14, 07:44 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the Club lexus Vendors for the coilovers. Here is the one I used.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...extenders.html