IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 12:43 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector

Any one who's attempted it knows this has not been an easy thing to accomplish... However; with some minor mods, I was able to get decent output, a fairly sharp cutoff and flicker from a 2006 IS350 projector (halogen with an H11 35w 5K HID bulb).

Check it out!
Attached Thumbnails Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-from-clipboard.jpg  
Old 01-09-14, 01:51 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you replace the clear lens and modify the cut off? i'm thinking about putting on a better lens, as i did in my old car with the retrofitsource FX-R's. But on the IS, I want to upgrade to the 2012 LED HLs and not sure if i want to butcher a $1500 part.
Old 01-09-14, 05:37 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

nice work dude! projector retrofit excites me, if i had the ***** hack my headlight, i would, but i dont
props
Old 01-13-14, 06:37 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Did you replace the clear lens and modify the cut off? i'm thinking about putting on a better lens, as i did in my old car with the retrofitsource FX-R's. But on the IS, I want to upgrade to the 2012 LED HLs and not sure if i want to butcher a $1500 part.
Hey Pmanliu,

I did swap out the dimpled lenses with STI-R clear lenses from TRS. The cutoff shield is the stock one, the key was to space the lens shield away from the reflector bowl and 3 paper spacer behind the lens itself. I wanted to make a custom shield but because I don't have bi-xenon, mounting it to something would have proven tricky! Anyways, after i got the right amount of spacing, (three green spacing rings and washer between the bowl assembly), i got the blue/purple color flicker I was after.

If you do decide to open your headlight, I highly recommend using OCI Butyl from TRS to-reseal the headlamp unit. This whole project was prompted from moisture issues from a prior CCFL Halo project. Oh, forgot to mention, I also painted the OEM shrouds with a blue-metallic paint I picked up at home depot; looks bad *** IMO.

Also did a fog light retrofit; used Morimoto Mini D2S projectors.
Attached Thumbnails Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-from-clipboard.jpg   Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-from-clipboard2.jpg   Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-from-clipboard3.jpg  
Old 01-13-14, 06:39 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Thanks Peyman,

How do you like your K&N typhoon intake? I have this intake too and it recently started making what sounds like a squeaking noise from 600-2400 RPM. Haven't cleaned the POD filter since I purchased it in the fall. Just curious what yours sounds like.
Old 01-14-14, 10:57 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any DIY? Really need this...stock lights are horrible (halogen with Morimoto 5K kit)

Also, I had K&N.....was good at first because sounds so dirty but in the summer can definitely feel the low end torque loss...and hate the oiling filter...
Old 01-14-14, 11:24 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Sweet retro! I've always wanted to do something like this. However, I ended up trading my baby in for the new CT and got a retro done out of necessity. The halogen projectors were that weak . . .
Old 01-14-14, 04:54 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Thanks man... I know what you mean; shame on Lexus for not sticking to what's tried'n true (RX330/350 and LS430/460 projectors)

Last edited by LeXmanG; 01-14-14 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 10:43 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by reyoasian
any DIY? Really need this...stock lights are horrible (halogen with Morimoto 5K kit)

Also, I had K&N.....was good at first because sounds so dirty but in the summer can definitely feel the low end torque loss...and hate the oiling filter...
That's exactly the same setup I had too with the headlights and I agree; very disappointing!

Here's a DIY on how to remove the bumper:

(part one)

(part two)

and a DIY for opening the headlight:

When you get down to the projector, you'll need to remove the shrouds and be careful not to break any of the tabs, otherwise they won't stay in place when you put them back. There are three tabs; one on the top and two on the bottom. I used a small 90 degree angled standard screwdriver on the bottom tabs first, then just lifted upwards to remove the shroud.

Remove the three screws that hold the projector to the rectangular plastic mounting bracket,
Attached Thumbnails Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-projector-removal.jpg   Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-washer-1.jpg   Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-washer-2.jpg   Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-spacers.jpg  
Old 01-15-14, 01:43 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeXmanG
Thanks Peyman,

How do you like your K&N typhoon intake? I have this intake too and it recently started making what sounds like a squeaking noise from 600-2400 RPM. Haven't cleaned the POD filter since I purchased it in the fall. Just curious what yours sounds like.
i dont notice any squeaking noises, but then again i have headers, no cats, and exhaust, all i hear is exhaust sound lol
Old 01-15-14, 06:38 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

could you please address me where to get those supplies?
Old 01-15-14, 06:48 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice cut off you got there, but as far as actual output im not so sure. First by doing the 'flicker mode' you are decreasing the actual output.The obvious problem with our projectors is that they are so damn dim compared to other xenon headlights. The mode definitely doesnt improve it. No offence, and really props for trying, but what you end up with is the same dim-yellowish-crappy output with the nice cut off line. We could really tell the difference if you have a side by side picture with modded projector and the stock one. Unfortunately the only way is still, retrofitting some nice projectors, or at least, the bowl itself.
Old 01-15-14, 06:53 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

according to the video and pix, i'm really sure the output has increased. the cut off light is rich and downforce road also really bright to me.
Old 01-15-14, 07:47 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by whitebeast
could you please address me where to get those supplies?
The lens spacers will come with the STI-R Clear Lenses if you purchase them from TRS.

As far as the washers go; something like this will work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/180835458158?lpid=82
I had some that looked like this that came with a brake hardware kit.
Old 01-15-14, 07:59 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
according to the video and pix, i'm really sure the output has increased. the cut off light is rich and downforce road also really bright to me.
I agree it looks good, but from my experience cameras tend to lie when it comes to capturing the light.

Quick Reply: Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector