IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector

Old 01-15-14, 08:40 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I agree it looks good, but from my experience cameras tend to lie when it comes to capturing the light.
The output did improve marginally; unfortunately, I didn't take any pics for the "before" scenario so there won't be much to prove it. What I can say is that the width of the beam is better and the and the light does travel further down the road then it did before. It's no LS460 retrofit, but it did improve it some.

As far as the color flicker mod, I didn't notice any difference in output from no space vs. spaced. The curvature of the cutoff shield is what creates the prism affect (blue/purple color), in connection with the distance the projector is from the shield / source of the light. Not saying your wrong and I'm certainly not an expert. I messed around with various spacing and spacers for a few days before I slapped it all back together.

I considered retrofitting an entirely different projector/bowl; but didn't want to have to cut into the headlight itself to compensate for the side-mounting issue. Seeing as re-sealing the headlight from moisture was the issue that prompted me to do this in the first place, I didn't want to be in that position again.

About the only thing I could think of was to go LED with a RX350 projector, but couldn't find the OEM Osram diodes as an individual component for sale.

At the end of the day, not saying anyone should go and do this; but I'm happy with the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-projector-width-1.jpg   Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector-projector-width-2.jpg  
Old 01-15-14, 10:07 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I was about to do curve shield cut off to my projector, all i need is time.. Supply is ready for retrofit...
Here is what i found http://www.jvxdriver.com/Bulb%20Spac...0Projector.htm
Old 01-16-14, 08:58 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by whitebeast
I was about to do curve shield cut off to my projector, all i need is time.. Supply is ready for retrofit...
Here is what i found http://www.jvxdriver.com/Bulb%20Spac...0Projector.htm
Nice! I've looked over JVX's posts very throughly before attempting this. I would totally do this, except for the resealing issues you will have with having to hack into the back of your headlight. Given the moisture issues I had from just opening the headlight assembly, I can only imagine!

Good luck; I hope it turns out and you are able to seal your headlight up afterward!
Old 01-17-14, 08:13 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

need somebody to do an ls430 retro! ... piece of card board will do the trick with the color mod as well. that's for those who don't have any washers laying around or is too lazy to go to the store. depending how thick the cardboard\washer is, predicts the color output. good look with the color mod. I did a tsx retro on my 2gs. beautiful blue and purple flickering. just my .02 cents.
Old 01-17-14, 11:06 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeXmanG
Nice! I've looked over JVX's posts very throughly before attempting this. I would totally do this, except for the resealing issues you will have with having to hack into the back of your headlight. Given the moisture issues I had from just opening the headlight assembly, I can only imagine!

Good luck; I hope it turns out and you are able to seal your headlight up afterward!
I've had no issues with using a rubber grommet to seal the back of my headlights.
Old 01-22-14, 05:02 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by kumquatism
I've had no issues with using a rubber grommet to seal the back of my headlights.
What kind of projectors did you use for your retrofit?
Old 01-23-14, 06:40 AM
flattire
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 is250 and my headlights are terrible, I did take them apart and blacked out the headlight housing. However I felt like i sealed them up very well, after taking headlight restorer to them and doing the whole kit about 3 times they still get very very green and foggy. What would be the best solution for this? I don't want to spend $800 on new headlights and I do love the blacked out housing... What do you guys recommend I do?? Heres a picture of what they look like.
Old 01-23-14, 09:58 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeXmanG
What kind of projectors did you use for your retrofit?
S2000 AP1 projectors

Originally Posted by flattire
I have a 2006 is250 and my headlights are terrible, I did take them apart and blacked out the headlight housing. However I felt like i sealed them up very well, after taking headlight restorer to them and doing the whole kit about 3 times they still get very very green and foggy. What would be the best solution for this? I don't want to spend $800 on new headlights and I do love the blacked out housing... What do you guys recommend I do?? Heres a picture of what they look like.
Are you sealing the headlights lens after you restore them? If you dont, then they're exposed to UV and will obviously haze up very very quickly again.
Old 01-23-14, 10:01 AM
flattire
Driver

S2000 AP1 projectors Are you sealing the headlights lens after you restore them? If you dont, then they're exposed to UV and will obviously haze up very very quickly again.
Yes I do. I use the whole entire kit from start to finish. Its just the lens that is just completely green and foggy. Even after using the whole restorer kit it still looks pretty bad.. :/
Old 01-23-14, 10:08 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Can't really tell from your picture, but are you sure the haze is on the outside, and not inside? If it's on the outside, maybe you need to use a lower grit to sand down the lens more. The restoration kits are usually pretty mild in terms of cutting power.
Old 01-23-14, 10:17 AM
flattire
Driver

Can't really tell from your picture, but are you sure the haze is on the outside, and not inside? If it's on the outside, maybe you need to use a lower grit to sand down the lens more. The restoration kits are usually pretty mild in terms of cutting power.
In pretty sure its mostly coming from the inside.. What do you recommend I do?
Old 01-24-14, 01:42 PM
flattire
Driver

I was thinking I should i guess just get new lenses? Where would I be about to buy just the lenses?
Old 01-24-14, 01:58 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Only real option is to wait til someone is parting out their headlights. Don't think anyone sells just the lens.
Old 01-24-14, 02:48 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I love my RX 350 projectors.
Old 01-25-14, 06:04 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
I love my RX 350 projectors.
that's what i'm talking about! is it bx? I saw your little diy in your signature? direct fit? or modified to make the projectors fit? by far, ls430\s2k\tsx\rx has the best outputs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finnaly, decent output from a 2006-10 x50 projector